Georgius Gemistus Plethon

kwaw

Strangely, Steve, when I click on your links--the words underlined in your post--all I get from Google Books is "You have either reached a page that is unavailable for viewing or reached your viewing limit for this book." None of pages 27 through 135 show up for me in the Google Books preview of Majercik's edition of the Chaldean Oracles--and precious few of the other pages of that book, either. I wonder if Google Books is being more generous in the UK than in the US. Fortunately, the book itself arrived by Interlibrary Loan just before I went on vacation, so I now have a copy to look at. And when I look up Fragment 58, indeed I find there Proclus's comment that it comes from "Chaldean theurgists." It helps, in discussing the Chaldean Oracles, to have a decent edition of them at hand!

Strange... I too have limited access, with 'pages ... unavailable for viewing' or 'you have reached your viewing limit' messages - but all those I linked to still work for me (I am in Turkey btw, not the UK).

MikeH

Huck wrote
Well, would be interesting to know, what kind of scandal had been behind the 1465 event with Gian Mario Filelfo. It relates to the Sforza court life short after May 1465 (preparation of Ippolita's bride journey), from which deciding things in matters of Tarot development might be suspected. Perhaps we find better details.
Huck wrote earlier
...Gian Mario had been in this year 1467 in Verona (Venetian territory), as a story with a woman in Milan had given him a few days in prison, still in the time, when Francesco Sforza was still living.
Trasferitosi infine a Milano, il F. affiancò il padre nella disputa pubblica con il letterato Lodrisio Crivelli, ma dovette ricadere presto nelle solite dissolutezze se nel luglio 1465 fu addirittura ferito da un giovane, probabilmente per questioni di donne. Di una relazione con una certa Caterina e della continua frequentazione di luoghi malfamati testimonia d'altronde una lettera del duca del 15 luglio, che lo richiamava ad una condotta più degna. L'atteggiamento diffamatorio assunto nei confronti di Pio II, morto da poco, gli costò, insieme con il padre, alcuni giorni di prigione e lo indusse ad abbandonare la città: riparò presso Guglielmo Paleologo marchese di Monferrato, dove si trattenne per circa in anno. Partito quindi con l'intenzione di dirigersi a Roma, a causa della guerra che imperversava nelle Marche tra il papa Paolo II e Ferdinando d'Aragona approdò a Verona.
I note this, cause 15th of July 1465 is relatively near to the bride-journey + bride-festivities of Ippolita Sforza in May/June 1465. Interestingly Gian Maria goes after the scandal for a year or something like that to "Guglielmo Paleologo marchese di Monferrato"...
Here is "Reverso's" translation of the Italian, unedited by me:
Finally transferred him to Milan, the F. his/her father placed side by side in the public dispute with the literate Lodrisio Crivelli, but owed revert soon in the usual dissoluteness if in July 1465 you/he/she was hurt by a youth straight, probably for matters of women. Of a relationship with a certain Caterina and some frequentazione of disreputable places testifies of however a letter of the duke of July 15, that called him/it to a worthier behavior back. The defamatory attitude assumed towards Pious II, dead from not too long it cost him, together with his/her/their father, some days of jail and it induced him/it to abandon the city: it mended near Guglielmo Paleologo marquis of Monferrato, where it held back around him for in year. Departed therefore with the intention to go to Rome, because of the war that raged in the Brands between the pope Paolo II and Ferdinando of Aragon it landed to Verona.
As I read this, Giovanni was reprimanded for his licentious behavior, not only with the certain Caterina but also for frequenting certain places, in a letter by the Duke; Giovanni improved his behavior after that. I don't see any connection so far to tarot. Possibly the Duke wanted to avoid any possibility that some dissolute Milanese might corrupt Lorenzo.

After that, both he and his father went to jail for "some days" because they had spoken in a defamatory way about Pius II. Being put in jail for that reason led to the son's leaving Milan. Whether he left voluntarily or involuntarily is not said, but I would guess voluntarily, as a gesture of support for his father and contempt for the Duke's acquiescence in obeying the papacy.

Looking at Pius's biography, I see much to "defame," in particular Pius's crusade against the Turks. Perhaps that relates to tarot. I see in one book online (http://books.google.com/books?id=qv...ge#v=onepage&q=Giovanni Mario Filelfo&f=false) that Giovanni wrote an epic poem comparing the Turks to the Trojans, stating or implying that the Turks were merely avenging past wrongs on the part of the Greeks. I'm not sure when the poem was started; but it was finished in 1476, according to your link. Perhaps Giovanni even earlier was against the crusade, and could use his rhetorical gifts in the cause of getting certain people's Greek relatives out of harm's way. In that Greeks are involved, perhaps also a Greek view of the tarot is involved, too.

MikeH

Reading more of the complete Oracles, I see another 2nd artist card in the PMB that might have been chosen with the Oracles in mind: the "Strength" or "Fortitude" card. The Cary-Yale shows a woman holding the jaws of a lion, a typical representation of the cardinal virtue of Fortitude, i.e. Courage. Indeed, the early accounts invariably called the card "fortezza." meaning "fortitude" (http://l-pollett.tripod.com/cards26.htm). In the PMB, however, we see a man, probably Hercules, bashing a lion with a club. Hercules was known for his great strength; he had courage, too, but most heroes had that. The same applies to the lady on other early cards. e.g. the Charles VI; she pushes over some columns, like Samson. Samson was distinguished by his strength; and like Hercules, he won a bout with a lion. A lion is sometimes next to the columns, e.g. in the "Mantegna." But the name was still "fortezza." The later Marseille style tarot, however, and the Cary Sheet before that, returned to the imagery of the Cary-Yale; yet on the Marseile we see the name "La Force," meaning strength or force. That name seems to reflect the distinguishing characteristic of Samson and Hercules rather than the Forezza of the lady lion-tamer.

One explanation for the PMB's emphasis on strength rather than courage might be that it is honoring Francesco Sforza and the Sforza family, for whom the cards were made. "Sforza" apparently means "strength" or "force." But another, less self-promoting reason might be that in the Chaldean Oracles, fortitude is not mentioned, but "strength" has a key role. Proclus says in In Platonis Alcibiadem Priorem Commentarii 82
And the more vigorous natures behold the truth by themselves and are more inventive,

"saved through their own strength..."

as the oracle says, while the weaker ones need both instruction and reminders from others who possess perfection in those areas where they lack it. (Majercik p. 93)
I cite this quotation, out of three on the same theme, because it is the one Filelfo in Milan is most likely to have read.

The point is that for the theurgist inner strength is required to apprehend the signs from above, enabling his soul to ascend, after which he can help others of a weaker nature. Another quotation from a different source makes this point more clearly. Hierocles, in Commentarius in Aureum Carmen 112, says
Therefore...for the purification of our luminous body there is need to get rid of material defilements, a need to undergo sacred purifications, and a need for the

"strength that binds us to God"

exciting us toward the flight up there. (Majarcik p. 95)
Moreover, this "strength" is an attribute not only of the theurgist but of the divine world as well. Lewy (Chaldean Oracles and Theurgy p. 9f) cites a prayer that Porphyry repeated in a work now lost, but which was preserved in a Christian compilation done at the end of the 5th century, now known as the Theosophy of Tuebingen, from the place where the most important of its manuscripts was found (Lewy p. 16). It was rediscovered by the Italian humanist Augustine Steuchus (1497-1548), author of the Philosophia Perennis of 1540 (Lewy p. 9):
Ineffable Father of the immortals, Eternal, Myses, O Lord, Thou who ridest on the ethereal back of the revolving worlds where the Vigour of Thy Strength is fixed; to Thee, Who seest, and with Thy beauteous ears hearest everything (we pray). Hear Thy children whom Thou hast begotten in the times. For Thy golden, abundant, eternal Strength abides above the world and the starry heaven. Above Her (Strength) Thou art exalted, moving thyself through Light, and suckling, through eternally flowing channels, the equipoised Intellect: Who brings forth this all by shaping the imperishable matter, of which the creation was resolved upon when Thou boundest it by forms....
According to Lewy (p. 13), three Chaldean entities are indicated here: a primordial Father, a feminine power called "first intellect," who produces the eternal forms, and a "second intellect" who creates the rest in accord with the forms.

It is the feminine power who seems to be identical with, or at least on the same level, as "Strength" and "Vigour of Strength."

In the Oracles proper, there is another feminine power, perhaps a lower manifestation of the same hypostasis, this one midway between the intellectual and sensible worlds, facing in both directions, the Cosmic Soul from Plato's Timaeus. In the Oracles she is also calledHecate, associated with magic and the moon; and once she is called Rhea, who conventionally had the title "mother of the gods."

With her, the lion even seems to make an appearance. In one verse, Hecate announces to the theurgist
If you speak to me often, you will perceive everything in lion-form...
according a verse quoted by Psellus (Majercik p. 105), a text known to Plethon (Lewy p. 475) and Ficino (as I have read somewhere). Psellus explains that what is meant is the constellation of Leo in the sky: it will be seen as the phantasm of a lion, and nothing else will be seen in the sky at all (Majercik p. 196, Johnston, Hekate Soteira p. 112).

This verse and explanation has puzzled modern commentators. Most (but not Majercik) have a different explanation: the word leonta, translated as "lion-form" (literally, lion), is a misprint for another Greek word meaning "dark," which Psellus failed to correct and struggled to make sense of as written (see prevous references).

But from the 15th century until the end of the 19th, the word would have been read as "lion." That association with Hecate is not as surprising as it might seem. On Greek and Roman coins, for instance (of which the Renaissance collected at least the Roman), the goddess Hekate is often associated with lions. In some, she is on one side and a lion's head on the other (see examples at http://numismatics.org/search/results?q=department_facet:"Greek" AND deity_facet:"Hecate"&start=0). In one Roman coin on the web (http://numismatics.org/search/results?q=department_facet:"Greek" AND deity_facet:"Hecate"&start=20), she is shown riding a lion.

1944.100.48065.rev.width350

In this way she is much like the lady on the Marseille "strength" card, shown with a lion obedient to her will.

I have two explanations, one short and one longer; I think both would have occurred to humanists of the Renaissance. The short one is that the lion was a symbol of strength, and in the Oracles Hecate is being identified with Strength. The longer one is that Hekate was identified in the ancient world with Rhea, who in turn was identified with the Great Mother-goddess Cybele; Cybele was typically shown riding a cart drawn by lions. The lion was her symbol. And so it becomes a symbol of Hecate as well.Or as Kroll put it (cited by Majercik, p. 196), "Leones autem matris magnae currum vehunt." I am not entirely sure what that means, but I think it is to the effect that lions were a symbol of the great mother.

In the context of the Oracles, then, the tarot's lady with the lion is none other than the great feminine power of the Chaldean system, Hecate, whose Strength becomes the strength of the theurgist leading his or her soul's ascent to heaven.

MikeH

Plethon and the PMB Temperance card

The only one of the six added cards in the PMB I have not addressed specifically is Temperance. The image is the typical medieval one of a lady pouring the contents of one jug into another; so the Oracles cannot account for anything in the image itself. However a Chaldean perspective can give a new interpretation for why it is after Death and before the Devil, something other interpretations have a hard time doing.

If the act of pouring serves either to dilute the contents of the lower jug, or decrease the contents of the upper jug, either way inducing moderation in the consumption of wine, how does that, or any such practice of Moderation, conduct one from Death to the Devil? Another interpretation of the card has it that it depicts the act of mixing water with wine in the Eucharist. But how does the Eucharist lead to the Devil? Some commentators simply say that there is no transition to be made: the Devil card starts a new sequence of images, one of supra-human entities. That is possible; but in fact the image on the Temperance card does make a meaningful transition to the Devil.

In the Oracles, the soul flows down channels from the Intelligible World to our world; the same channels lead one upward. Plethon's edition starts out:
Inquire after the channel of the soul wherefrom, in what order,
Having served the body, to that order from which you flowed
You shall rise again, combining the act with the sacred word. (lines 1-3, Woodhouse p. 51)
But if Death precedes the Temperance card, and the Devil follows it, it is not the channel from above that the Temperance card concerns. The soul also descends below this world, if it is too attached to matter, to a realm below the earth. Plethon's verses continue:
Incline not downwards: below the earth lies a precipice
That drags down beneath the sevenfold steps, below which
Is the throne of dread Necessity.
Your vessel shall be occupied by the beasts of the earth.
Do not enlarge your Fate. (lines 4-8)
By the "sevenfold steps" is meant the planets, which the soul passed on the way to its incarnation on earth. But souls can descend even further, to the "throne of dread Necessity," i.e. Persephone and Hades, where one becomes even more of a slave than one is on earth, dragged there by infernal forces
Then from the depths of the earth leap forth the dogs of the underworld
Showing no true sign to mortal man. (lines 32-33)
The dogs (seen on the "Marseille" Moon card) are agents of Hecate on her sublunar side. "Necessity" is symbolized by the ropes to which the small devils are attached on the Marseille Devil card. Addiction to alcohol or other material attachments, i.e. Intemperance, is a precursor to that enslavement after death. Even the body can be saved, at least to the extent to which it is the "liquescent body":
Do not leave behind the dung of matter for the precipice.
Do not draw it forth, that it may not suffer in going out.
By extending the fiery intellect
To the act of piety, you shall also save the liquescent body. (lines 28-31)
From this perspective, the card shows the consequence of lack of Temperance, in which the soul flows downward from Death to the Devil, under the influence of Hecate's sublunar aspect.

We don't know whether the Milanese tarot had a Devil card or not. None of the many extant PMB decks has one, or a Tower card, strongly suggesting that these hand-painted luxury decks did not include that figure. That exclusion may have been a personal preference of the Sforza family to remove a figure already present in the popular deck of that time (the 1460s or 1470s); it does exist in the Cary Sheet, a woodblock deck thought to be from pre-1500 Milan. Also, the Temperance card may well not have been between Death and the Devil: all 15th century accounts of Temperance have it much earlier in the sequence. Yet none of these accounts is from Milan; and it does seem on other grounds that the "Marseille" cards developed out of the Milanese decks (Dummet's "type C" order). Also, there is a very pronounced precipice on the card (as indeed the Star, Moon, and Sun as well), as though to illustrate the hazards of Intemperance.

temp.jpg