Is This Legal?

gregory

But at least they are not downloadable as they were..... and they don't show full decks.

and he has SLIGHTLY got the message:

Disclaimer: This site is not responsible for all other uploaded content.
Images of tarot cards on this site are copyrighted to their respective designers, artists, and publishers, and are used for example purposes only; no copyright infringement is intended.
All other materials are Copyright to their respective owners. All rights reserved.

Jewel

Well good to see he added that. At least he seems to be making an honest effort to respond in a responsible manner. Guess that is all we can ask.

Faolainn Storm

Actually I'm a little unsure if he has actually gotten rid of the downloads or just moved them. If you go the page Download Add-Ons and scroll to the bottom, there is a picture link to another site here, which has many of the decks that were originally on the main site. This new site has no contact information, but is also from Russia, which makes me wonder if it his way of getting round the complaints he has received. He strikes me as the sort of person who would do something like this.

FS

cardlady22

If I'm remembering earlier posts correctly, didn't he say as much? That he would just move it over to a different site/server in Russia since their copyright laws were different.

Bottom line is we need to let the major publishers know that we would like a customizable framework program & let them release the tech specs for database files to each developer or artist. Each deck creator in the future could specify that they wish to retain online/PC database rights as a form of content & quality control.

tarotlyn

Here is his disclaimer at the bottom...but don't think that would protect him at all:
ETA: this has already been posted by someone already...

jmd

I've just spent many hours deleting spam to tarotpedia by these people, and blocked a user and his or her IP... only to have them use a different IP and username to again spam (and in some cases replace whole pages with a simple link to their programme).

They are also using a similar 'moto' to another programme that is genuine and that I mentioned in the last Newsletter, and in the eyes of the reader, may therefore confound.

I was made aware of this thread as a consequence of all the edits that had to be done (thanks :)).

Frankly, they seem bent on placing claims wherever and however they can.

firecatpickles

I had to delete a few ads too.

His claim that he isn't responsible for copyright is a bit like pay no attention to the man behind that curtain."

gregory

Faolainn Storm said:
Actually I'm a little unsure if he has actually gotten rid of the downloads or just moved them. If you go the page Download Add-Ons and scroll to the bottom, there is a picture link to another site here, which has many of the decks that were originally on the main site. This new site has no contact information, but is also from Russia, which makes me wonder if it his way of getting round the complaints he has received. He strikes me as the sort of person who would do something like this.

FS
Damn; thanks; missed that. Someone tell cirom and Karen.....

Nevada

Have any of you tried a whois search on the domain name? Example:

whois: domain.com (without the colon also works)

I found matching information for visualtarot.com at both http://whois.domaintools.com/ and http://www.register.com/.

If your copyright has been violated, I suggest a whois search for the site owner information and then reporting it to your publisher, or if you are the publisher, your attorney and/or appropriate law enforcement agency. I'm not a lawyer, but that's what I would do.

I've had similar problems recently where first some of my poetry, and later some of my fiction that I posted on my blog and website were copied and pasted onto other sites without my permission. In the case of the poetry the person (a member of a forum) claimed it as his own. Fortunately the owner of the site removed it as soon as I let him know of the violation. The fiction that was posted at least still had my name and copyright notice, and has thankfully since disappeared from the sites without any action on my part. But I think in my case it was a matter of people who were ignorant of copyright.

This site Kilted Kat has posted about appears to be deliberately violating copyright, and doing it for profit. If it were my property, I think I'd go after him full tilt.

gregory

The publishers have all been notified and I innocently supposed they had had some success - but he has just moved it to a slot where I THINK he is pretty much immune from legal action, unfortunately. There has been a lot in the papers here about how Russian publishers and webmasters can and do get around copyright rules..... they didn't sign up to something or other....