How to handle LATE clients.

Booboonomicon

So, as I've mentioned in other posts, I've only recently started earning money through my tarot readings. That being said, I'm still building a customer base, which consists mostly of friends and acquaintances and online and acquaintances thus far. I do these over the phone and online.

I have one acquaintance who schedules appointments, then doesn't answer her phone. She'll reschedule for later that day but apologize again for being distracted by a fight with her childs father, etc. Basically, I spend my whole day working around her lack of communication and lack of concern for MY time.

I don't have enough consistent return clients like her to where I feel I want to tell call her out, but at this point...I don't know. I don't want to lose her but I also don't want her to think this is acceptable. How would you word telling her to be on time or what??? I don't know where to start. What would you do if you were still trying to build your new business?

Miss Divine

Do you seriously want a customer like that? If you allow this, she will continue this. I am someone that tells it like it is. Love it or leave it, but that's just how I roll. So, if it was me dealing with such a person I would tell her I have better things to do besides working around her so called schedule. Give her 1 more chance, and if she messes it uo again, I would simply refuse reading for her from then on.

Disa

I don't have clients by phone for card readings, but I do have life coaching clients by phone. I arrange the time with them that suits us both and they call me. If they haven't called within say 15 minutes, oh well. Then they would need to reschedule- for another day. So far, no one had been late when I put it on them to call me at the designated time. If they don't call, they are out of luck. I think this would apply to phone readings, as well- if I had any who requested that.

Set the precedent up front, people will take advantage of your time no matter what your profession if you allow it.

Miss Divine

Set the precedent up front, people will take advantage of your time no matter what your profession if you allow it.

That is true! I am a beautician and in the years I was working for a boss I would see this time and time again. And always the same people coming late with a different excuse every time. It really is about respecting yourself enough to set boundaries. It used to be hard for me, when I was younger. But ya live and learn that people will take advantage if you allow it.

AnemoneRosie

You said that you also do email readings, right?
I'd tell her that I'd be more than happy to send her an email reading that she can review at her leisure.

Hearing your voice is a privilege that she's lost. If she doesn't want the email readings then tough. You shouldn't be re-arranging your schedule for her. That's intensely disrespectful.

Shade

We teach clients how to treat us. Everyone has a bad day now and again and a one time appointment move is normal for a regular client but letting her know you will have to charge her for a missed appointment will get the point across.

I hear you when you say you don't want to lose her as a client but at the moment you are making it a little too easy for her to take advantage of you.

LittleOne

I had the same thought as AnemoneRosie. Offer email, back and forth exchange limited to a certain number of back and forth follow ups. And if she asks why it can't be by phone I think that is a good stepping stone for you to explain how you are challenged to continue keeping up the reschedule routine as you can't fit your day around her and this is best alternative. If she wants to hear your voice explain that that will have to come with being on time for the reading.

RiverRunsDeep

As in any relationship, the more of yourself you are willing to give away, the
more the other person is willing to take (and take, and take....).

If you are afraid of alienating your acquaintance or appearing confrontational, you can address the issue without blaming her directly. You can say something like, "Hey, I've been having a problem lately with clients who are no-shows, so I think I'm going to establish a new business policy. If someone isn't available within 15 minutes of their appointment time, they will have to reschedule with me". Then it is up to her whether or not she acknowledges that she is part of this problem, but at least you will get your point across.

For future clients, let them know about your late policy from the beginning. It is so much easier to deal with these types of issues upfront rather than after the fact!

I have owned my massage therapy business for almost ten years, and I understand how anxious you are to build a client base. A good clientele is often built (exponentially) by word of mouth. Do you want clients who tell others what a fabulous, accurate card reader you are? Or do you want clients who tell others, "It's okay if you miss an appointment with her. She's good with that." (??)

Don't be afraid to let go of "bad" clients; it just makes more room for the "good" ones! Good luck and best wishes!

Apollonia

So, as I've mentioned in other posts, I've only recently started earning money through my tarot readings. That being said, I'm still building a customer base, which consists mostly of friends and acquaintances and online and acquaintances thus far. I do these over the phone and online.

I have one acquaintance who schedules appointments, then doesn't answer her phone. She'll reschedule for later that day but apologize again for being distracted by a fight with her childs father, etc. Basically, I spend my whole day working around her lack of communication and lack of concern for MY time.

I don't have enough consistent return clients like her to where I feel I want to tell call her out, but at this point...I don't know. I don't want to lose her but I also don't want her to think this is acceptable. How would you word telling her to be on time or what??? I don't know where to start. What would you do if you were still trying to build your new business?
I won't usually call people out even if they are repeatedly late or forget their appointment. But--with very few exceptions over the years, I have them call me, I do not call them. That way, I can putter around and get a few things done while waiting for their call, and if they are more than 10 minutes overdue, I shoot them an email telling them that they missed their appointment and asking if they would like to reschedule. That way, the most time I have wasted is basically the couple of minutes it takes to email them.

If they are consistently late or forget appointments, I won't say a word, but I will suddenly have very few openings available for them, and never at a time that isn't 100% convenient for me. I have one day a week where I stay home and do email readings, return calls and will take last minute appointments, and I put their appointments on for that day, so I am not stuck sitting around waiting for a reading that doesn't happen when I could have been doing something else.

Ruud

If you allow one client to mess up your schedule, you will end up doing the same to other clients. Give her a tactful ultimatum, and give her a choice - either be on time or readings via email.

It is usually quite tough when you starting out, and you can't afford to lose clients. But at the same time you can't afford to have your time wasted. Set down rules, like clients must be on time, and things will be easier in the future.