Reading for someone not nearby?

beccas

I have told a few friends I am starting to learn tarot and they have asked me to read for them. I like reading in person because I get instant feedback when I'm on the right path. But sometimes they aren't with me and text for advice.
Do you prefer the querent to be with you? Or happy to do it without them there? Does it matter?

Barleywine

I started long before there were portable phones of any kind, or even perrsonal computers, so I'm highly skeptical of any kind of remote reading that isn't purely psychic in nature. I find it especially suspect when the subject of the reading is a third party. I'm not much of a "long-distance mind reader," so I only read in person, where the querent can engage in the process. But of course I'm not trying to make a living at it.

chongjasmine

I have no preference.
Whether reading for someone who is there or who is not there makes no difference to me.

Thunder

It works better for me when they are not there. I don't wat to see their reactions because it affects the way I read the cards, it twists it. I mean I could be on the right path but when I see their reaction I go wrong. I prefer to go wrong because I haven't seen them and I didn't get feedback immediately but then after time when I get the feedback about what actually happened I can check the spread and the cards and to see why I made a mistake or misinterpred something.

nisaba

I have told a few friends I am starting to learn tarot and they have asked me to read for them. I like reading in person because I get instant feedback when I'm on the right path. But sometimes they aren't with me and text for advice.
Do you prefer the querent to be with you? Or happy to do it without them there? Does it matter?

I quite often do readings in the exchange circle subforum ere, with my clients anywhere else in the world. And no, I don't ask them for their "real" names. I just shuffle the cards and go for it. Why not read some of the readings I've done there and the feedback I've had - as they've been publicly posted, the are not private property.

Grizabella

I read by phone, by email,, in the Reading Exchange sub-forum, in live chat and in person. I really like reading in person the best, but these days with the internet bringing the whole world into our living rooms, I'm reading this way more than anything at the moment.

I get very good results reading for people who are sometimes a world apart from me physically as well as the other ways.

Inghinn

I prefer reading face to face but don't always get the opportunity, so if I want to keep reading for others I have to fall back on reading by phone or email. It's a different dynamic, you have to completely rely on the meanings of the cards and your intuition, and don't have that interaction with the sitter, but I've found remote readings to be just as accurate. If nothing else, it's a good exercise, and unless you're on the phone you have more time to ponder over the cards.

celticnoodle

I read in person & via distant readings & I much prfer the distant readings, as I can take my time doing it. As for feedback, while I do appreciate getting this, it is a rare happening unless its a customer I have frquently or know personally, like a family member. Try it out with the distant ones & see how well you do. Chances are you will like it better, since you can take your time with it & also have it quiet around you.

Though, it is also nice to have the face to face contact & sometimes get the client actively involved inthe reading as well.

Booboonomicon

Either way works for me.

danieljuk

yes exactly what Nisaba said, everyday there is lots of readings going on across AT in exchanges and circles and it works fine! I have never had a problem distant reading and I like to know as little about the person as possible to not influence my reading. The majority of my readings are with someone outside my country :) Although perhaps I am missing out on the face to face contact like Celticnoodle suggested, I prefer writing out my readings anyway, it's almost like automatic writing for me when I do that, my fingers just flow.

Just watch them texting with the readings though, it's very easy for that to become silly questions like, "should I wear this today?" "what lunch should I eat?" questions to help you learn or for advice are great but don't let them take advantage with hundreds of questions which are not really worth reading for. A long time ago, a guy found out my mobile number and phoned daily if his girlf he split from would get back with him or not. I couldn't get rid of him, I now have boundaries about how I do readings. Almost in a formal way rather than just casual and the querent not taking it seriously. That's not to say tarot cannot be fun but I don't like approaching it frivolously.