Intensive Deck Study Reboot!

OctoberGwen

taking the plunge

*deep breath*

I'd like to sign up for this, my first IDS, with the Victorian Romantic. I'm a little nervous so please be gentle with me, guys.

I chose the VR because I've had it for many months now, but about a week ago it started calling me until I dug it out and read with it. Now I've really clicked with it and I think it has enough depth for me to work with, learn from, and stay interested in it.

I've been feeling like I need to reconnect with the part of me that has been pushed aside for several years while I started a family. I finally feel able to balance my day to day responsibilities as a mom/homemaker with some spiritual study and growth and I'm certain that I reconnected to Tarot last year as a means to do this. (I joined AT almost exactly a year ago.) October is the perfect time for me to undertake something like this. It’s always a month of new beginnings for me, in a spiritual sense. I really feel that I need something semi-structured so I will stay on track.

Self Guidelines:
1. Since I have everything I need, while I complete my VR IDS I will not spend any more money on new decks or accessories with two exceptions: the two decks that I am currently committed to buying from other AT members, and the MRP Alice if it comes out during this time.

2. I will try to do a three-card draw daily (I like the mind/body/spirit) in the morning, for that day, with my VR. I will start a journal devoted to these. On days I can't do this I will shuffle my VR at least once and draw a card at the end of the day to reflect upon. I'll be posting these in the Daily Draw forum for the VR as often as I can.

3. I'm unsure yet how I want to approach my studies with this deck. More on this later. I will probably start with a card by card meditation/journalling and go from there. Any suggestions for structuring this, or incorporating other topics, are welcomed. As I delve deeper, I may do some reasearch on the Victorian era and/or some of the art used in the deck. That's for later. Also, I was going to use Kenner's Tarot Journalling but it's too general. I think I'll work with the BG and that book some time in the future. So, still pondering some ideas for "further study" with the VR.

4. By the time my IDS with the VR is finished, I would really like to have posted at least one thread in the My Readings forum. I've not yet felt confident or knowledgeable enough to do this so it will be a big step if I can get there. I think what I meant here was the Reading Exchange. I could certainly post some of my daily 3-card draws there in My Readings...does anyone really post there daily? Won't people get sick of me?

5. I'm not sure what the usual time frames are for this. Should I set one? I'm thinking a year, October to October. Initially I thought 6 months, but I like the neatness and commitment of 12. Again, suggestions welcomed on this one. I've decided on a three month commitment for now. (Thanks, zan, for the suggestion!) Like alec, I will reevaluate at the end of December.

Thank you guys. I look forward to a time of great growth, and I appreciate that I have you here to do it with.

Gwen :heart:

BlueDragonfly

Hi Gwen, I'm a first-timer, too! :)

I know what you mean about autumn being a good time to start projects like this. I'm really looking forward to getting started. Speaking of which, I've got to go write my 'guidelines' for my IDS.

zan_chan

Hi Gwen! Welcome to the group :) I'll be very interested to see how your study of the VR compares to mine of the FM, and Master_Margarita's of the FT. I'll be curious to see if in-depth analysis of the VR reveals much more beneath the surface.

Have fun with it! Adding you to the list now...

As far as time goes, I might say that a year is a VERY long time. I like to set very achievable goals so I can pat myself on the back as I go. You can always extend the time limit after all :)

OctoberGwen

zan_chan said:
As far as time goes, I might say that a year is a VERY long time. I like to set very achievable goals so I can pat myself on the back as I go. You can always extend the time limit after all :)

That makes sense. While I realize everyone's time frames are wholly individual, can you give me an average? A month seems far too short to get in depth with anything - at least for me - but does six still seem too remote and long? What about three? I really can't decide, never having done one of these before!

zan_chan

I think three months is a good starting point. It's enough to make you aware of whether or not the deck actually has enough meat to keep you interested for longer than that. My first IDS was for 6 months total and taught me a HUGE amount. Even after it officially ended, I really haven't used any other decks, so it really depends on how you find yourself getting on with the deck as you go along.

Does that help a little?

OctoberGwen

zan_chan said:
Does that help a little?

It helps a lot, actually. Thanks. :)

Three it is! And three is a very good number. I like the thought of reevaluating at the end of the calendar year, too.

:thumbsup:

zan_chan

Sounds great :) I'm really looking forward to comparing notes :thumbsup:

OctoberGwen

zan_chan said:
Sounds great :) I'm really looking forward to comparing notes :thumbsup:

Thanks, zan. Does that happen here, in this thread?

zan_chan

OctoberGwen said:
Thanks, zan. Does that happen here, in this thread?

Yes! This thread is for any discussion at all concerning our studies. We can detail our study methods, complain about wanting to cheat, and anything else about our IDS experience. We've had some really wonderful, insightful discussions in the past, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes...

Nina*

I'll join you when I've decided for a deck and this time I WILL follow through!

Deciding for a deck isn't easy for me though. Sigh! I'll be back!