Intensive Deck Study Reboot!

Vesper

I'm considering doing one of these when I get the William Blake tarot. It seems different enough from what I'm used to that it might require some extra study. But I don't want to commit yet, in case I get the deck and take an aversion to it.

Other decks I've considered: Diary of a Broken Soul, Crone, and Touchstone.

(maybe I'm not ready to commit yet...)

Nina*

OctoberGwen said:
Yay! Nice to know there will be two of us working with it, Nina, in case we want to bounce ideas off each other. Are you going to be using the individual card Study threads? I haven't started over there yet, but will...still just easing in to my three card daily draws.

I need to figure out a course of study, too. I have 21 Ways and I'm sure it's a great tool, but I'd rather focus on the whole deck. Unless I just use one exercise per card, or something like that...hm. (Which I know is not the intent of the book, but I'd like to try and adapt it for my purposes with this IDS if I can.)
Hi OG. :) I could really do with some inspiration here as I've never managed to complete an IDS before. But I really really want to and having a ''partner'' would be lovely.

I also have 21 Ways and one exercise per card sounds like a good idea.
Where would we post such exercises?

I too have decided to let it run for three months; ending by the end of December.

zan_chan

We're all here to be your cheerleaders this time, Nina - you can do it! :)

Nina*

zan_chan said:
We're all here to be your cheerleaders this time, Nina - you can do it! :)
Thank you, Zan. :*

Nina*

Hey.... you haven't added me to the list. I can still run away... :D

zan_chan

I haven't added anyone to the list! Just on iPhone from the office at the moment, so it'll all be up-to-date once I'm home tonight. Don't run away! :eek:

stefficus

ok. my issues. let me show you them.

i have been wavering on many decks for many different reasons. (i've definitively rejected doing an IDS on the quantum for right now, as i want to wait until i get v2.0 to start.) and i think i've figured out why:

the tarot nova.

i love this little thing. it's my carry deck, always (it usually has one or more companions, but it's a constant). it's much deeper than it appears at first glance. part of the IDS problem is the monogamy, and i've been faithful to the nova for long stretches at a time even without the official commitment.

BUT, is there enough peripheral info out there to really carry me through an IDS? i mean, i can do daily draws and journaling and all, but that's really just an intensive deck familiarization, not an intensive deck study.

it's possible i'm just being difficult...

BlueDragonfly

steff, what other decks are you considering? (and why?)

BlueDragonfly

Nerys said:
I've been following the IDS threads for awhile now and have been thinking about joining in... I will be doing a working holiday in Ireland from January to August and am planning to bring only one deck with me (Classic Tarot, in order to learn to read with non-scenic pips), and so I'd consider that a solid eight-month IDS, but I've been wanting to do some project for the next three months before I go.

I've been meaning to spend some time with the Deviant Moon, and I'm considering getting exclusive for awhile. I've been working through 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card with it (3 of Wands in particular) and I might just extend that to an IDS, especially with the companion book coming out soonish.

I'll have to give some though to my rules, though. Typically I've found daily draws and individual card studies to be tedious. I find the thought of working my way through a deck card by card to be sort of unappealing and I don't think I would stick with it. So I'm thinking more a pledge to use only the DM, play games with it, take notes on it, look at it suit by suit maybe, in a more general way than individual cards. And trim it of course. :D

The only thing is, I'm not sure if it would involve a lot of actual STUDY. I could look at recurring symbols throughout the deck and the elemental associations of majors to minors with the coloured borders and explore the "world" of the deck, how it functions internally in relation to itself rather than to external facts and systems. And working through 21 Ways would be a good goal to aim for.

This post doesn't exactly have a point, I guess, just thinking out loud as it were. Hmm...
The things you've listed sound like a solid three months worth of study to me. Symbols, elemental associations and the "world" of the deck would be interesting comparisons.

I read on his website that the companion book won't be out till sometime 2011-unless I missed something.

I'm fascinated by the DM, but don't have it(yet).

stefficus

BlueDragonfly said:
steff, what other decks are you considering? (and why?)

um. the thought process and lineage are unimportant. *notthedroids*

right now, i'm trying to decide if the tarot nova thing is just a comfort zone issue. if it isn't, i'll go with it and just see what happens. if it is, i'll be using the motherpeace for this. ;)