Intensive Deck Study Reboot!

OctoberGwen

Nina* said:
I also have 21 Ways and one exercise per card sounds like a good idea. Where would we post such exercises?

I think I've seen a 21 Ways thread somewhere...I don't think it's deck-specific. Maybe we could sneak in there and just head our posts "IDS VR"? I think they do the exercises in order but maybe we can explain what we're doing and sort of work in conjunction with them. Or start our own, I suppose. Not sure which Forum it's under, but we can find it. The only other place I can think would be in the individual cards study area, but that might be even more disruptive.

What do you think?

I never joined 'til now because I thought I wouldn't finish. It's only three months: we CAN do this! :)

strings of life

[Poking in]

^ The 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card threads are here: http://www.tarotforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=147. They go by the steps and everyone posts their results under the appropriate header. If you are planning on doing a variation of the steps, PM a mod. and see what they say.

stefficus, I'm with you and how you feel with your Tarot Nova. I'm too busy to dive into a "study" per say, but am going deck exclusive. I'm still in the process of figuring out which one, but I'll be reading with it, partcipating in reading exchanges, journaling, etc. I like the idea of the Study Group threads, but find that my observations about cards change depending on the reading, of the cards, etc., making these threads like journal entries of sorts. However, the conversations with others make things interesting.

OctoberGwen

aurarcana said:
[Poking in]

^ The 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card threads are here: http://www.tarotforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=147. They go by the steps and everyone posts their results under the appropriate header. If you are planning on doing a variation of the steps, PM a mod. and see what they say.

*waves to aura*

Thanks. I'll do that, and I appreciate the road sign! :love:

ETA: Nina, I've PM'd Sulis to ask where we should post.

Nina*

OctoberGwen said:
ETA: Nina, I've PM'd Sulis to ask where we should post.
Great!!! Thank you! And thank you, aurarcana! :)

OctoberGwen

Nina, Sulis said it was okay to post in the 21 Ways study group area but we should start our own threads for each exercise and add "IDS" (and probably indicate that we're using the VR) in the titles. She will start a new "IDS" section in the 21 Ways index thread, and we just need to let her know when we start new threads so she can index them.

Now we just need to decide how we want to proceed: pick the exercise from the book first, and then the card? And each draw our cards randomly, or do the cards in order? Do you want to do the same things at the same time? If so, maybe we should do both in order, OR do one or the other (i.e., the book or the cards) in order and take turns choosing the other thing randomly. (I really, really hope this makes sense.) I think I like the last option the best, but haven't decided which should be ordered and which random yet.

We can discuss by PM if that seems better, then post here what we're doing. Just let me know your thoughts! I'm game to proceed in any way that makes sense/feels right to both of us.

zan_chan

Ok! Just updated the list. If I managed to miss anyone, just send me a hateful PM and I'll be sure to take notice :) (Thus far, Herzog and/or Le Fanu haven't actually made any decision yet, right?)

As far as the Tarot Nova goes, I think its very cute and great that you have enough of a connection with it to want to be exclusive, but I have a hard time imagining what there would be to study about it...

And I also quite like 21 Ways as an exercise to go with an IDS, but always try to keep in mind that the 22nd way, the way you come up with on your own, that new perspective that makes it all fall into place - that's the "way" that really counts :)

OctoberGwen

zan_chan said:
And I also quite 21 Ways as an exercise to go with an IDS, but always try to keep in mind that the 22nd way, the way you come up with on your own, that new perspective that makes it all fall into place - that's the "way" that really counts :)

Good point, zan. Thanks! :)

Nina*

OctoberGwen said:
Nina, Sulis said it was okay to post in the 21 Ways study group area but we should start our own threads for each exercise and add "IDS" (and probably indicate that we're using the VR) in the titles. She will start a new "IDS" section in the 21 Ways index thread, and we just need to let her know when we start new threads so she can index them.

Now we just need to decide how we want to proceed: pick the exercise from the book first, and then the card? And each draw our cards randomly, or do the cards in order? Do you want to do the same things at the same time? If so, maybe we should do both in order, OR do one or the other (i.e., the book or the cards) in order and take turns choosing the other thing randomly. (I really, really hope this makes sense.) I think I like the last option the best, but haven't decided which should be ordered and which random yet.

We can discuss by PM if that seems better, then post here what we're doing. Just let me know your thoughts! I'm game to proceed in any way that makes sense/feels right to both of us.
Eh... right! :D I agree. I think. :D

One thing in order (I'd suggest the book) and take turns choosing cards randomly?

And thanks to sweet Sulis! :heart:

Herzog

Le Fanu and I have decided to work with the Dodal. Below is an outline of what we intend to accomplish though December, 2010. We may extend this further into the New Year depending on how things go...

I believe Le Fanu will be posting this pledge with its own particulars, as well

The following was written by Le Fanu with my own particulars added in:

1. Le Fanu and I shall commit to the Dodal tarot. This will not be a "one card per day" type of study but rather, an analysis of cards in groups of three --sometimes more-- We plan to think about Enrique Enriquez' "Eye Rhythms", seeking out connections between cards; lines, similarities, echoes, symmetry. Studying what Enrique Enriquez refers to to as tarot's "Optical Language". Works by others such as Jordorowsky and Calvino may also be discussed as well as any other bit of research Le Fanu and I uncover as we proceed.

The idea is to allow the beautiful Dodal to inspire us to think outside the box.

2. We will do what we plan to call "Scientific" spreads (exercises in how to read the interaction between cards) and then more "Personal" spreads which will be based around questions and issues. The former will be an opportunity to think freely about the cards, the latter will be trying to make it relevant.
There will be two Scientific Spreads per week and one Personal Reading per week; I will read for Le Fanu, then he will read for me. We will study these spreads both personally, and objectively.

3. Spreads will be scanned/photographs posted. I will also scan and post excerpts from my hand written journal.

4. I will also draw/sketch my ideas based on the cards in a spread. This method sometimes brings one closer to an image as it isolates important details and forces one to slow down when observing an object

I believe this sums up the initial plan. We hope to grow as students and to understand more deeply the images of this particular Marseilles Tarot

zan_chan

Sounds like quite a plan, Herzog. I look forwarding to seeing how you get on with it all. Such a beautiful deck, the Dodal. I'll add you to the list now...