Nisaba's Timing Method

nisaba

I've shared this timing method a few times, but always inside other threads, so that it's more difficult to find on a search. This should make finding it easier.

I have a deck that I only use for timings, with unillustrated pips and with Majors I don't care much for. You are never going to actually READ with this deck, so it's better if it is a deck that lacks meaning for you. During the main reading, if there's an issue that I want a timing on, I shut my eyes briefly, and if I don't hear my voice coming out with a time-interval, I'll hand the querent the timing deck, get them to shuffle it briefly, then cut it at the point where the deck wants to separate (rarely the middle). I'll then look at that card.

I'll start with the Minors:-

1) The time intervals are predicated on the speed of the suits.

Coins, as Earth, is slowest-moving, so represents YEARS.
Cups, as Water, is second slowest, a little faster, so it is MONTHS.
Swords as Air, is faster still, so it is WEEKS.
Wands, as Fire, is fastest and most energetic of all, so it is DAYS.

Aces through to tens are that time-interval multiplied by the face-value (ie, the Two Coins would be two years, the Six Wands would be six days).

Pages are eleven of the time-unit, Knights twelve, Queens thirteen, and Kings fourteen. This already provides the deck with a bit of overlap. (If I was using an ordinary playing deck instead of a Tarot deck, I would make Jacks eleven, Queens twelve and Kings thirteen).

Drawing a Major tells you this, and I usually say exactly this to clients: "The Tarot doesn't know how long it will be. It is entirely up to you. This card is about [name the principle issue of the card]; when that has been resolved and dealt with in your life, then and only then will it come to happen. If you want it to happen faster, then work through your issues concerning this card faster".

NOTE WELL!!!

This method DOES NOT WORK if you simply pull a card from the remainder of the deck you've already done the main spread with. It also has a track record of occasional failure if you use a second deck that is accustomed to being used for readings - it will keep trying to tell you stuff instead of just figuring out timings. Keep one deck entirely separate, one you have never read from. I recommend very simple decks - Marseilles-style decks are excellent.

Playing cards are also excellent - far better than Tarot decks you actually like or have used for readings - but be careful about Court Cards: the Jack is 11, the Queen is 12 and the King is 13. The only problem is that if the timing REALLY is completely dependent on your completing other important stuff first: say, for example - you're never going to meet the love of your life or land the perfect job until after you front Court on all our traffic offences or even that old rape charge and get that dealt with, then a deck of playing cards won't be able to tell you that, but a Tarot deck will, by presenting you with - say - the "Justice" card.

In short, playing cards do timing well, but not as well as single-purpose unillustrated Tarot decks that are only used for timings.

celticnoodle

interesting nisaba. but, i'm not sure which tarot deck i'd use for only timings. I have read w/all of them, and like all of them for different reasons. I wonder if buying a 2nd copy of one of them - specifically for timing would be just as effective.

tarotlaura

That's the way that I always did timing. I can't remember where I learned it from. Maybe I learned it here from you. :D

spiritedblaize

That is lovely and I would like to test it with a regular playing card deck as I only have 2 decks currently and use them both. How to you translate the suites.

My guess is below:
Cups = Hearts
Wands = Clubs
Swords = Spades
Pentacles = Diamonds

Is there a standard?

Thanks

gregory

spiritedblaize said:
That is lovely and I would like to test it with a regular playing card deck as I only have 2 decks currently and use them both. How to you translate the suites.

My guess is below:
Cups = Hearts
Wands = Clubs
Swords = Spades
Pentacles = Diamonds

Is there a standard?

Thanks
Yes there is, and that is it !

I could use the Power Animals for this. }) Give them a reason to live !

Eyebright

What a great idea, I'm definitely going to have to try this. I'm thinking a TdM deck will do the trick nicely.

nisaba

tarotlaura said:
That's the way that I always did timing. I can't remember where I learned it from. Maybe I learned it here from you.
<grin> Possible. I've been doing it for decades, and talking about it for years.

nisaba

spiritedblaize said:

My guess is below:
Cups = Hearts
Wands = Clubs
Swords = Spades
Pentacles = Diamonds

Is there a standard?

Thanks
I don't know if there's a standard. I'd agree with you about Cups, and about diamonds (which are the wealth of the earth), but I don't know about the blacks - I suppose as long as you were consistent through time -

NamasteIndia

I came across a different method using seasons for each type of suit.
http://www.tarotteachings.com/tarot-suit-chart.html
the seasons are confusing because different parts of world different seasons are there in different months.

if its raining in australia now its spring season here in india.

NikkiB

Thanks nisba going to try this! good use for a deck i dont like!