How do you open your readings

TemperanceAngel

Originally posted by MeeWah:

"Though I specialize in the Celtic Cross, I like less cards. More cards do not necessarily provide more information nor clarity. May be too much information depending on the nature of the query & not appropriate to the concern."

Thanks, MeeWah, you have been most helpful! I, too, love the Celtic Cross and I agree too many cards can confuse.

XTAX

Imagemaker

I've only been reading the cards for 6 months, but I've found the Time Traveler spread to be a good way to connect with a querent before we go further.

I found it on the Thoth-based website hrih.hypermart.net/divinations/tarot/openings

It's a simple cross layout representing the current situation for the querent:

. . . . . . . . . conscious

past . . . . . . present . . . . . . . future

. . . . . . . .subconscious

I say, "let's see where you are right now" and do this spread. When the querent sees how accurately the cards reflect the moment (which never fails), then they're ready to have me do more. I ask what situation they're concerned about and choose the next spread based on what they want to know.

Using Time Traveler always helps anchor me and helps me know what direction to go.

Isisdownunder

How do I open or commence a reading?

Firstly I tell them I'm no John Edward! I also say I cannot and will not make any decisions for them, that is up to them.
We have had clients that want to know if they should get an abortion, quit their job, leave their spouse!! Dangerous ground.

We do a general horseshoe spread. Then a simple past, present and future spread for questions. No more than two questions.

Then to finish and compliment the reading we confirm with a
Healing with the Angels reading..

Isisdownunder

TemperanceAngel

Re: How do I open or commence a reading?

Isisdownunder said:

We do a general horseshoe spread. Then a simple past, present and future spread for questions. No more than two questions.

Then to finish and compliment the reading we confirm with a
Healing with the Angels reading..

I am quite curious who the 'we' is, Isisdownunder?

Is the horseshoe spread like Umbrae's spread?

XTAX

Rhiannon

I usually ask if there's something specific the querent wants to know about. If they don't give me anything specific I just do a Celtic Cross spread. If they have a question they are really concerned about I usually narrow it down with only 5 cards:

General - You - Them - Obstacle - Advice/Goal

It's loosely based on my original Expandable Love Spread. I love that spread, it has so many uses!

I should also mention that I not only explain/describe the cards, but I also explain what each position is when I'm doing a reading.

R :)

TemperanceAngel

Rhiannon said:
If they have a question they are really concerned about I usually narrow it down with only 5 cards:

General - You - Them - Obstacle - Advice/Goal

It's loosely based on my original Expandable Love Spread. I love that spread, it has so many uses!

Sounds great, Rhiannon :) I look forward to trying it out, how do you set it out, the layout?

I should add that after my opening spread, I move into Celtic Cross Spreads. I usually do 4-7 per reading.
XTAX

lawguy51

Umbrae said:
This has been my bread and butter for many years.
The Dan Pelletier guy who wrote the article plagiarized my work. It’s my spread – he stole it from me! Ask Lawguy51 (he’s not even a cop). He uses the spread…
Yes, indeed I do use the spread, esp. the 14 card version. It is the best spread in the world! And Umbrae created it. It least, that's what he said. Hmmm, come to think of it...I've never seen that spread and Umbrae in the same room together...

Nigus

Meaning of The Unexpected

Umbrae said:
This has been my bread and butter for many years.

It’s nice for either general or specific readings.

Seven Card Horseshoe
1. Recent Past
2. Present
3. Hopes and Fears
4. The Unexpected
5. The Gate
6. Near Future
7. Further Future

Hopes and fears = Internal influence.
Unexpected = Hidden external influence.
The Gate = That which must be experienced - the lesson
QUOTE]

I did this one last week for my daughter. She got the Ace of Pentacels in the Unexpexted positon. I told her that there would be a kind of surprise, maybe a job opportunity. But now i am doubting about the meaning of The unexpexted. What does it mean "Hidden external influence". Do we notice it or will it keep hidden?