Tarot Minus Esoteric Symbolism = ???

FLizarraga

I know very little about it at this time, so you're ahead of me there. I had the idea it isn't as dense with GD-style symbolism as the Tabula Mundi while still not an RWS clone. But what do I know? :)

Oh. For a moment there I wasn't sure if you were joking or being beyotchy... 😂

I'd just say that the Rosetta does not fit the bill for this thread. It should, or may, be your cup of tea otherwise, but not as a light, RWS-y Tarot --no siree bob!

Barleywine

Sure thing! I'd say that off all of them- even though it is different in presentation, feel-wise the Petersen reminds me more of the Rohrig than the rest. And weirdly, the Cosmic, but it is more structured (best way I can think to put it) than the others and more RWS-like. But it is cheap and so if you are looking for something to keep solid for others to shuffle- that would be an alternative as well.

Prisma Visions in feel was different- can't really explain it. It just doesn't have the same oomph that the Rohrig has. Trust me that I would love to find it's equivalent- that is a remarkable deck.

The Cosmic has been on my wish-list for a while, too. I keep hesitating because the "in-your-face" faces remind me of a more dignified Morgan-Greer.

Penthasilia

The Cosmic has been on my wish-list for a while, too. I keep hesitating because the "in-your-face" faces remind me of a more dignified Morgan-Greer.

There is that- and that there are stars in it- so sometimes it can be jarring seeing, for instance, Sean Connery as the King of Wands. But it is a good deck for reading and inexpensive.

If it were me- I'd go with the Petersen, if just picking one.

Attachments

• movie stars 2.jpg
    movie stars 2.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 118

Rose Lalonde

Rosetta = very Thothy. -- ETA, oh I see FLizarraga already clarified.

I'll throw Tarot of the Spirit out there. I don't like the book, (although many people love it!), but the deck itself by the author's mother, I do enjoy reading. Even most of the titles work alright for me ('Form' for Ace of Disks and 'Clarity' for Six of Swords as Thoth inspired). Can be trimmed if you don't want titles, and there's an abstract quality to the minors that opens them up. Currently still in 20th anniversary reprint, so not expensive. (Reviewed at Tarot Passages) Just steer clear of the book, probably; judging from other posts I've seen by you, I think its "sacred circle of being" kind of language will put you off the deck. -- (Though again, I've seen people call it one of the best books out there, so it depends on the reader.)

Barleywine

Rosetta = very Thothy. -- ETA, oh I see FLizarraga already clarified.

I'll throw Tarot of the Spirit out there. I don't like the book, (although many people love it!), but the deck itself by the author's mother, I do enjoy reading. Even most of the titles work alright for me ('Form' for Ace of Disks and 'Clarity' for Six of Swords -- although the latter is more Thoth than RWS in origin). Can be trimmed if you don't want them, and there's an abstract quality to the minors that opens them up. Currently still in 20th anniversary reprint, so not expensive. (Reviewed at Tarot Passages) Just steer clear of the book, probably; judging from other posts I've seen by you, I think its "sacred circle of being" kind of language will put you off the deck. -- (Though again, I've seen people call it one of the best books out there, so it depends on the reader.)

I have both the deck and the book. Neither one does much for me, but I probably haven't given the deck a fair shake since I owned the book first.

Barleywine

Oh. For a moment there I wasn't sure if you were joking or being beyotchy... ��

I'd just say that the Rosetta does not fit the bill for this thread. It should, or may, be your cup of tea otherwise, but not as a light, RWS-y Tarot --no siree bob!

Just to clarify, not "light, RWS-y" but something in-between: not Thoth, not RWS, but a different animal that has a foot in both worlds but is beholden to neither for its core meanings. I like the Rohrig because its the Spanish version and I don't read Spanish but there's no LWB anyway, and it couples the Thoth titles with radically different images. So it has an underlying context but no real ground-rules, letting me ramble a bit. The Haindl is another one, but it's too sludgy for me.

Barleywine

I myself am waiting for this deck to be available. It is listed on Amazon with a release date of late May. The colors certainly look lively.

Here is a link to the minors and you can click on the link to see the majors.

http://www.cathymcclelland.com/html/star_tarot_minors.htm

Thank you! There's a lot of very nice work here. A bit on the "mystical" side, as well as "oracular" - but that's pretty much where you land in between Thoth and RWS if you don't go the way of TdM or Etteilla. I think I might get on well with this one from a purely intuitive standpoint.

Shade

I prefer a touch of esotericism though I love the Fey Tarot and that was intentionally created without occult symbolism as that was seen as out of sync with its theme.

I think that decks that go free of esoteric symbolism tend to narrow the scope of each individual card by relying largely on mood to convey the meaning.

I find numerology and astrology to be dubious in many ways but I tend to like the decks that were created by people who did think they were essential to Tarot.