Playing cards!

AmethystEyes

Do they have the same meanings as tarot cards? Like hearts cups type of thing?
Well here is why, I was using a deck to practice psychicness :D you know figuring out what the card is anyway! I kept getting 9 of cups over and over and over again! I figured it must have some meaning. Also ace of cups which I saw usually next to the 9 and it just fell out of the deck randomly while I wasn't even using the deck :eek:
Also when I asked what they mean (don't know why I'd know what the answer means! :laugh:) I get the 8 of diamonds.
So for those who use them any ideas of their meanings?

I just picked up the deck to shuffle and there was the 9 again! :laugh:
HOLY S#$%! I just looked at the bottom of the deck and ....ACE!!!!
AHH YES MEANING IT MUST MEAN SOMETHING!

KMilliron

Check in the oracle section. Quite a few people read with playing cards. I customized mine by writing on them so I doubt what they mean for me would be the same for you, especially because I also added reversals to mine.

lilangel09

I use the Tarot meanings, but I think how I've sorted the suits might be different from other people.

I see diamonds as wands and clovers as pentacles, and this is automatic. No stopping it, lol.

There was also a link somewhere with playing card meanings, but I'm rather lazy and using Tarot meanings work.

AmethystEyes

Those two cards are stalking me.

OK, so then they would be 9 of cups and Ace of cups?

DaughterOfDanu

Playing cards can have similar meanings to tarot. But that depends on how you use them. There's the Hedgewytch method http://replay.web.archive.org/20080924014146/http://www.hedgewytchery.com/cartomancy.html Which I find easiest to use and it does seem to have similar cards having similar meanings. But in other ways its completely different (And actually quite fun to learn).

According to that system the Nine of Hearts means that a wish is fulfilled. Ace of Hearts means home or family.

MareSaturni

Do they have the same meanings as tarot cards? Like hearts cups type of thing?

It depends on the method you are using. There are TONS of different methods and traditions for Playing Cards out there. In the method I use, the 9 of Hearts is not such a wonderful card, unless in a very specific context. But I know other methods call it "the wish card".

One very easy method to read playing cards is the Hedgewytchery Method.

I also recommend the following books:

- It's all in the Cards by Chita St.Lawrence - it's a Russian method, very interesting! The book itself is nice to read, and the author really seems to know what she's talking about.

- The Playing Card Oracles by Ana Cortez - that's the method I use, and it's the best in my opinion, although some people find it rather complex because it differs a lot from 'tradition'.

- Personal Prophesy by Deborah Leigh - it's a great method if you wish to read for yourself, because it focus a lot on this kind of reading. It's meant to help you to make better choices and create the life you want. It's divination with a bit of self-help!

- Fortune-telling by playing cards by Nerys Dee - a book that has been around for a long time. It has very complete meanings for each card, including the practical and psychological influence of each card.

The important thing to keep in my is:

Once you pick a method you stick to it.
At least until the end of the reading.

In my experience, trying to mix methods or consulting more than one book when doing your readings will make them confusing and inaccurate. It's best if you pick one method and follow it until the end of the reading.