RWS - 1 the Magician

Richard1

I wonder about the pictures on the side of the table, as well as the word "DIN" right above the table's leg. I know Din is another name for Gevurah (the fifth sephrioth, hence the 5s? Maybe...?), but the Magician's path is from Kether to Chockmah...

paradoxx

oroborous

How about the magicians belt and its relation to the lizard eatings its own tail design on the King of Wands card.

The wand does feel like a candle being yellow and a double of its counterpart on the table, sometimes, other times it feels more like a specific tool being used for this ceremony, depends on the nature of the reading.

lupo138

sorry that it did me that long to answer - but the path of the magician has very different places ;)

Shower

2 wands

The wands being held by the Magician are the same as the 2 wands that appear in the World card. Rachel Pollack talks about how in the World card she holds them with such ease as opposed to the firm grip with which the Magician holds his. I notice too that she holds them both at the same level (at her sides) where as the Magician holds his in the air. The Charioteer holds a similar wand but with one flame at the top and the colors are blue and yellow. The color of the Magician and World wands seem to be pure white to me.

paradoxx

i have bought a wand from a local metaphysical store. it is based on the chakras with a stone fore ach one and two pointed quartz crystals on the top and bottom.

stones bottom to top: obsidian, carnelian, citrane, rose quartz, aquamarine, azurite, amethyst.

I can see the magicians wand symbolizing this as well for all intents and purposes in a tarot reading.

Little Baron

I like the idea that what the magician holds is a scroll. Sheds a whole different angle on interpretation. I think that it is also interesting how he holds it directly in the middle. Maybe it is just me, but if I was holding a wand up in such a stance, I would hold it a bit further down. Anyway, maybe that is 'just' me.

I like the different interpretations though because there are no hard and fast rules. When this card comes up in a spread, it could be a scroll. In other readings it could definitely be some kind of 'magic' wand. Depending on other cards, possitions and the querants question, it could change again. I also could see it as a candle, but couldn't relate it to the card somehow. Maybe it is some kind of metal to conduct lightening?

Best wishes

Yaboot

Shoshin

I see the object that the magician is holding as a Djore. A Buddhist ceremonial item.

"The Dorje has an ancient history. It originally was a symbol for the Thunderbolt, wielded by the Hindu god Indra. In Buddhism, with its emphasis on clarity and enlightenment, it became a symbol for both a thunderbolt and a diamond. As a thunderbolt cuts through the dark of night, and a diamond can cut through any material, it is believed that an enlightened mind can cut through the fog of ignorance and confusion which we normally live in. Hence in Buddhism the Dorje became associated with the path to enlightenment."

http://www.siamese-dream.com/ceremonial/bell_dorje.html

Concerning DIN on the table leg, remember that we can only see one of the legs. We can only guess as to what the other legs say. We can also can only guess the number of legs that the table has!

I am also very curious about the carvings on the table. One's a dove, another looks like mountains but could be waves, and the middle one I can't make out.

Adele

magician...

hi Lupo138... here are some answers to your questions about the magician card... the red robe indicates his personal creative force... one hand is holding a double-terminated wand pointing upwards and the other hand is pointing down... this gesture reflects his ability to communicate the powers and gifts of Spirit to the material world... on the table before him are the tools he uses in his craft... rod/wand (spirit), cup (emotions), sword (mind), coin (matter)... his purpose is for greater spiritual achievement. and he is ruled by mercury... he is creativity in action! element: air.

hope this helps.

Karenwhe

This may come a little bit late or even very late. But on the subject....... I thought that this link may be of interest in regards to the symbols of the Magician.

http://wolf.mind.net/library/tarot/arcanum1.htm

of course you can see the rest of the cards if you click on table of contents. I find these pages very interesting.

paradoxx

The magician is hte alchamest, one who attempts to change the nature of reality through pure thought alone. He values all that comes his way, stones, gems, knowlege, finances, and friends, all are of timeless value to him (or her).

The energy of the dorje drawsn from teh lush folliage above to the foliage below, or perhaps it is the other way. The Magician acts as the medium of communication between what is above and below, he is embedded in the here and now as it is the here and now that will always be where things take place.

the Magician is aware of his own limitations, and is willing to push them to the limits and always without harm or prejudice. He is for the ultimate outcome, whatever it may be, and he tries to help others realize their own potential and abilities so that the ultimate outcome does not leave them behind.