Pre-copyright Miniature Rider

Essence of Winter

Does anyone know much about this deck? It's in a yellow box and has the Fool on one side and the World on the other. Instead of opening at the top, the box opens out at the side. It is printed in Switzerland by A G Muller and must be of the same vintage as my Blue Box c. 1971 because the cards and colouring are comparable.

It looks like it was available to the US market based on the instruction manual having the Magician on the front; all the UK ones I have seen depict the World. I haven't seen this particular box before. It comes with a blank card and an advertisement card.

coredil

I have such a mini but with two blank cards.
It has a first printing LWB and the U.S. Games copyright is written on the second page.
The US. Games adress on the box and in the LWB is: NEW YORK, N.Y. 10016
It belongs to the early version that were printed in the early 70s and like the regular size at this time they did not have the copyright.

Indeed the cards looks and feel exactly the same as the cards from THE TRAVELER's (the Mini Blue Box Version).
BTW both copies I own (the Mini and the Traveller's) have a "Blushing Fool".
I also have a copy of the Mini with copyright (and with the World on the front) where the Fool has a creamy face.

Edit
After re-reading your post I am not sure what you mean with:
"Instead of opening at the top, the box opens out at the side"
When I open my copy this is the side with the World that opens to the left but stays attached to the box.

Essence of Winter

I have such a mini.
The US. Games adress on the box is: NEW YORK, N.Y. 10016
It belongs to the early version that were printed in the early 70s and like the regular size at this time they did not have the copyright.

Indeed the cards looks and feel exactly the same as the cards from THE TRAVELER's (the Mini Blue Box Version).
BTW both copies I own (the Mini and the Traveller's) have a "Blushing Fool".
I also have a copy of the Mini with copyright where the Fool has a creamy face.

Edit
After re-reading your post I am not sure what you mean with:
"Instead of opening at the top, the box opens out at the side"
When I open my copy this is the side with the World that opens to the left but stays attached to the box.

Yes, the address on my box is also New York.

All of the one-piece boxes I have open at the top but with the miniature edition, the front panel with the World on it opens to the left.

Abrac

I used to have one one these, the cards and stock are very nice. :)

JAKE9outta10

Hi

Does anyone know much about this deck? It's in a yellow box and has the Fool on one side and the World on the other. Instead of opening at the top, the box opens out at the side. It is printed in Switzerland by A G Muller and must be of the same vintage as my Blue Box c. 1971 because the cards and colouring are comparable.

It looks like it was available to the US market based on the instruction manual having the Magician on the front; all the UK ones I have seen depict the World. I haven't seen this particular box before. It comes with a blank card and an advertisement card.

First, the (c)1971 wasn't added until around 1974, which was also when the advertising card first appeared. The mini decks didn't get 'updated' with copyright or typesetting for quite awhile, but the advertising card marks your deck as mid to late '70s at best, and the box style also marks it as being early on, whilst later boxes have end tuck flaps.

Coredil mentioned the Blushing Fool... Do you know what this is (earliest decks printed can be distinguished by a mottled pattern, most notable on the face of The Fool). Check to see if your deck appears this way.

Also, I suppose we are assuming your deck is USGames and not Weiser.

Le Fanu

I think opening at the side means it opens vertically, like a book (as mine does) rather than, like most tuck boxes, at the top.

I have two of these, one with copyright and one without. I've never quite got the concept of teh blushing Fool but I have so many old/vintage RWS decks so I'm sure I have some.

I also have the Traveller's Tarot. These are such lovely decks. I bought a 2nd copy of the vintage yellow box mini for my bag but it came with copyright on the cards which really spoils it!

Catmoon

One of those minis is on the mail coming my way. It comes from Spain in spite beeing in English, In the photos the box was realy batered but hope the cards fit the description. I would like very much to know the difference betwen the size of the mini and the travelers one, could someone who have both tell me please...

coredil

I've never quite got the concept of teh blushing Fool but I have so many old/vintage RWS decks so I'm sure I have some.
Here a comparison between a blushing Fool and a Fool with the creamy face.
They come from two different Blue Box version.

BTW when the Fool blushes so does the High Priestess too ;)

Attachments

• blushing-fool-and-high-priestess.jpg
    blushing-fool-and-high-priestess.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 696

coredil

One of those minis is on the mail coming my way. It comes from Spain in spite beeing in English, In the photos the box was realy batered but hope the cards fit the description. I would like very much to know the difference betwen the size of the mini and the travelers one, could someone who have both tell me please...
Cards in both decks have exactly the same size.
The Traveller's and the early Mini were printed by AGMüller.
They also have this nice waxy matt finished cardboard.

Catmoon

Cards in both decks have exactly the same size.
The Traveller's and the early Mini were printed by AGMüller.
They also have this nice waxy matt finished cardboard.

coredil@: Thanks so much for your answer, I believe the "nice waxy matt finished cardboard" you're refering is the same of the Rider Blue Box wich I have and love dearly.
I'm so thrilled for the mini to arrive!!!