Pros and Cons Thread #3 - Enabling and De-Enabling

G6

Sola Busca

I feel like I should get it because it's where other decks came from, but the 3 of Swords freaks me out and they went with poo brown for the card backs. Anyone have thoughts on this?

RiverRunsDeep

I feel like I should get it because it's where other decks came from, but the 3 of Swords freaks me out and they went with poo brown for the card backs. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Poo brown? No thanks!! You could always take a look at the Sola Busca Revisited deck by Seven Stars. You can choose a customized card back with that one. (But the 3 of Swords is still freaky :| )

illyria

Sola Busca

I haven't used mine in a while, but I find that it puts me in a contemplative mood. More for personal, "me-time" readings. Not really bothered by the 3 of Swords; I feel that it's one of the more expressive cards in the deck. My backs are more on the reddish spectrum of the brown (definitely not poo brown!), but I'd definitely concur with RiverRunsDeep to get the Revisited by Seven Stars if you're after aesthetic value. The Revisited caters more to RWS readers, so it will be a functional historical deck for those who prefer to read with the RWS system. My only concern about it is that some images seem stretched. Not sure if this has been addressed in later printings.

Spiffo

I've recently come across some great pictures of Nefertari's Tarot by Lo Scarabeo on Amazon (and I love them) but the deck seems a little pricey. All that gold foil I suppose! Does anyone have it and have any advice? Is it worth it or not?

This was the deck that got me back into Tarot after a considerable break. It's stunning. I dare say it's probably the best of the gold foil decks that LS has done. I have both the black back and the Papyrus-style back and prefer the black back (it's covered in wee Hours eyes).

It's sturdy and my initial fears about it being fragile have not be born out. It's very bling though and getting it out in sunlight can be magpie magnet, but that's the point.

As to its Egyptian-ness; I read Egyptology at Uni and this is a subtle but well executed endeavour. I especially like the way the suit of swords mimics lines from the Book of the Dead. The depiction of the Gods on the Majors are well done. The author/artist have used the accepted pantheon of Heliopolis (middle and late Kingdoms), which is the set of Gods most people associate with Ancient Egypt.

My only complaint is that LS didn't publish a proper guidebook to accompany the deck. The LWB is useless and I suspect a basic book about the Egyptian Gods, if not a copy of the Book of the Dead (or at least one of the commentaries on it) would help the novice get to grips with some of the more challenging iconography. Wikipedia is also handy for a synopsis of the whos and whats of the Egyptian pantheon. Be wary though, many of the authors on Wikipedia confuse Heliopolis, Memphis, Alexandrian and Luxorian pantheons.

But, it is still a very striking and well executed deck, even if one elects not to do any reading about the Gods.

It has consistently given me frank and useful readings. If I was stranded on a desert island, along with Thoth and Tabula Mundi I'd want this one with me too. I was lucky enough to score an uncut sheet of this beauty in the Kickstarter for Tarot Fundamentals. The huge A0 sheet, with all that gold looks stunning.

Do shop around as prices vary wildly. If you have a passing interest in Egyptian style decks it's hard to go past this one. It's authentic, accurate, and beautiful, and that's not something that can be said of most Egyptian themed decks. The vast majority of which make an Egyptologist cringe.

A word on card stock; the older black back is better (slightly thicker) than the current Papyrus-style back.

G6

Sola Busca

I was looking at the new one coming out by LoScar as it seems more affordable than other reproductions. Are there others similarly priced ($35 or less) that I should look at?

Nemia

Spiffo, I'm glad I read what you wrote - it makes me look again at a deck that I have underestimated, it seems! and all because it's so beautiful!

This thread is wonderful, it even enables people for decks they already OWN.

Thank you!

mercuryempress

Spiffo, I'm glad I read what you wrote - it makes me look again at a deck that I have underestimated, it seems! and all because it's so beautiful!

Thank you!

Ditto
I just ordered the book of the dead :)

Spiffo

Thank you!

I usually lurk, quietly, in the corner. And you have enabled, and re-enabled me many times over. Decks I thought were rubbish have been given new life thanks to yours and others comments. I'm glad you're taking another look at the Nefertari. X

Spiffo

Ditto
I just ordered the book of the dead :)

I hope you enjoy it. Although in translation some of the passages are just beautiful.

A slightly different take on it, and Ancient Egypt, is Norman Mailer's novel 'Ancient Evenings'. It's a wild ride across several lifetimes but Mailer's grasp of Egyptian society, history and religion is remarkable.

And in an effort to relate this back to Tarot; both titles help expand the understanding of Egyptian styled Tarot decks. Now we all know the link between Tarot and Ancient Egypt is spurious, one of the earliest depictions of Astrological decans is at Dendera, just north of Luxor. And, arguably, the Minor Arcana and the decans are related.

Back to my corner now. X

banbha

This was the deck that got me back into Tarot after a considerable break. It's stunning. I dare say it's probably the best of the gold foil decks that LS has done. I have both the black back and the Papyrus-style back and prefer the black back (it's covered in wee Hours eyes).

It's sturdy and my initial fears about it being fragile have not be born out. It's very bling though and getting it out in sunlight can be magpie magnet, but that's the point.

As to its Egyptian-ness; I read Egyptology at Uni and this is a subtle but well executed endeavour. I especially like the way the suit of swords mimics lines from the Book of the Dead. The depiction of the Gods on the Majors are well done. The author/artist have used the accepted pantheon of Heliopolis (middle and late Kingdoms), which is the set of Gods most people associate with Ancient Egypt.

My only complaint is that LS didn't publish a proper guidebook to accompany the deck. The LWB is useless and I suspect a basic book about the Egyptian Gods, if not a copy of the Book of the Dead (or at least one of the commentaries on it) would help the novice get to grips with some of the more challenging iconography. Wikipedia is also handy for a synopsis of the whos and whats of the Egyptian pantheon. Be wary though, many of the authors on Wikipedia confuse Heliopolis, Memphis, Alexandrian and Luxorian pantheons.

But, it is still a very striking and well executed deck, even if one elects not to do any reading about the Gods.

It has consistently given me frank and useful readings. If I was stranded on a desert island, along with Thoth and Tabula Mundi I'd want this one with me too. I was lucky enough to score an uncut sheet of this beauty in the Kickstarter for Tarot Fundamentals. The huge A0 sheet, with all that gold looks stunning.

Do shop around as prices vary wildly. If you have a passing interest in Egyptian style decks it's hard to go past this one. It's authentic, accurate, and beautiful, and that's not something that can be said of most Egyptian themed decks. The vast majority of which make an Egyptologist cringe.

A word on card stock; the older black back is better (slightly thicker) than the current Papyrus-style back.

Thank you so much Spiffo for your thoughtful reply. You've really sparked my interest in this deck now. I have had an interest in Egyptian mythology since I was little so I would certainly prefer an historically accurate deck; and no one could question its beauty.

I'm going to look around for a black backed deck but I might have to settle for the papyrus back. I wish LoS was more consistent with their card stock.