Making Bags and Boxes

Ulfdis

peridot said:
Here’s what I did with a box. My husband and I received one of those “picture” boxes where you insert pictures of your family, friends, or whatever in the top part of the box underneath the glass (it’s got like six different slots), and so instead of sticking pictures in it, I cut out and inserted some unique pattered fabrics instead of photos. It’s my favorite box…

Oh, that's cool! You could maybe also do color photocopies of your favorite Tarot cards, too, if that floats your boat.

As for crocheting Tarot bags, all you really need to do is find a large-enough granny square pattern. Make two of them and join them on 3 sides. Then thread either some ribbon or some braided yarn through the stitches around the top to make a drawstring. You can also do some smaller filet motifs the same way.

rainwolf

I just use line patterns and then whip stitch the sides together and either weave a drawstring, or sew a margin of it down to have one inside. I dont really like working in the round as much as in lines.

WolfSpirit

Ulfdis said:
As for crocheting Tarot bags, all you really need to do is find a large-enough granny square pattern. Make two of them and join them on 3 sides. Then thread either some ribbon or some braided yarn through the stitches around the top to make a drawstring. You can also do some smaller filet motifs the same way.

Yes I found out that what I do is in English called granny squares (funny language ;) ), I make a square and then add rows on one side of the square to get a rectangular shape (and make two rectangulars that way). I have also made small squares, and use 6 squares to make a 3 x 2 panel for one side of the bag. For decks that don't have a carton box, I also lined the bags for extra protection (as this type of crochet makes little holes).
With yarn in a few different colours, you can make lots of colour combinations.
I have also sewn draw-string bags, but I think next time I will try to make an envelope bag - to try something different.

Keslynn

There's a crochet tarot bag pattern on the Llewellyn website. It's supposed to look like a cauldron. The picture looks cute, but I haven't dug out my hooks in a while. I'm starting to think that I should...

http://www.llewellynjournal.com/article/786

:) Kes

tarotbear

Some boxes have a depressed square for a picture or other attachment on the top. If your deck came with a card that has the name of the deck on it, you could decoupage it into that space.

I make bags that have flat bottoms and square corners for my decks. It's basicaly a pattern I created for making matching reticlues when I was sewing period costumes.

jeseryn

How cute Kes! I love that cauldron pattern. :)

bassetized

I found this link for making cardboard boxes for card decks. It's customizable for any size deck. I've been meaning to try it but haven't yet. Seems I've been haunting the Aeclectic Forum instead. :D

http://www.ee0r.com/boxes/

--bassetized

seneris

bassetized said:
I found this link for making cardboard boxes for card decks. It's customizable for any size deck. I've been meaning to try it but haven't yet. Seems I've been haunting the Aeclectic Forum instead. :D

http://www.ee0r.com/boxes/

--bassetized

I found this site as well, and I haven't tried to make one yet.
I want to try to make a box for my very own collage tarot that I just finished, so I thought I'd start this weekend. I'll tell you how it went, okay?

Myrrha

Oooh, great idea to put lavender in the bags.

I am making a couple of bags now with hardanger and other types of decorative embroidery. I'm not sure how it will work attaching the linen to other fabrics to make up a bag but thought I'd give it a try.

The Baroque Bohemian Cats are demanding a baroque bohemian tarot bag!

--Myrrha

Dovanna

Tarot boxes

I found a plain black, what they called "photo storage" cardboard box at my local craft store. I grabbed some stencils, paint markers, and went to town on it. :) It has enough space for my 3 decks and tarot journal.

Be careful with those paint markers. After spending about 30 minutes stenciling I started to feel a bit lightheaded... those markers are potent!