Tarot apps

r3alchild

What do you think of tarot apps.

Vanchica

Missing intuition

Presenting standard rote card meanings doesn't work. An intuitive assessment of the relationship of the cards to each other and to the querent's situation is needed

Vanchica

BUT

People love them and I think they sell well so they aren't a bad business idea.

Grizabella

I can see them being a way to practice in spare moments at work or lunch or something. I don't think I'd rely on them for readings unless you're the one interpreting the cards for yourself.

Starstuff

I like them well enough! Though I agree that you shouldn't rely on the interpretations the app itself provides. It's a matter of thinking of it more as a digital deck and less as a digital reading, if that makes any sense. You still have to do the leg work, but you're holding your phone/tablet/whatever instead of physical cards.

Ica'rus

My first exposure to Tarot was through a card app that I knew my friend used, which she said was always very good to her. This was recent for me, last month (since then I bought some real cards). But during a huge upset in my life, I had used that app to ask a question and it showed me the Tower for the first card position which was "what's going on". My questions were depicted with stunning accuracy.

So, I definitely think it's the symbolic act of choosing cards, not the medium in which you do it. However I do feel more of a connection and authenticity to the real cards after having used them. I am a computer professional in my daily life, so digital vs physical has rarely been an issue for me. I still use, and enjoy that app.

Edit: The app I use is Galaxy Tarot Pro, same as danielnogo. This is probably the best app I have used, as I tried a couple. However I also downloaded a forum member's app, Uni Tarot, and it is just as nice, and offers even more decks to choose from. The great thing is they let you shuffle the cards and choose them individually, rather than relying on a shuffling and auto-spread routine; which a few apps I used tried, and those readings were nonsense. Also, they both boast very good card definition/interpretation libraries. I like Galaxy Tarots because it also includes relevant text from Waite's Pictorial Guide. (In small chunks, his writing is actually understandable!)

danielnogo

I use an app when I'm on the go called Galaxy Tarot Pro, you control the shuffling so i feel you get a good mix of your energy into the reading. I always felt that the readings were accurate although I almost always use real cards nowadays.

Emily

I have a few tarot apps on my tablet, the free ones are usually pretty basic and mostly RWS based but the paid apps are better, you get what you pay for. I'm using the tarot app for the Illuminati tarot and it is very easy to use. The only problem is it enabled me for the deck so now I have the physical deck too. :)

Citrin

So, I definitely think it's the symbolic act of choosing cards, not the medium in which you do it. However I do feel more of a connection and authenticity to the real cards after having used them. I am a computer professional in my daily life, so digital vs physical has rarely been an issue for me. I still use, and enjoy that app.

I agree with this! I did an experiment in the reading exchange a couple of weeks ago, using Fool's Dog app for readings. I did not use any "meanings" in the app of course, all interpretations were my own. At first the readings were kind of "eeh" but the secound round I actually managed to do some decent readings. It made me believe it's definitely possible to do readings with the apps. But I do very much prefer to use physical cards. :)

CrystalSun

As a person who used online tarot readings sites when practicing I think they are a bad idea. In order to get accurate tarot readings one must do them LIVE. Face to face. The cards need both the reader and querent energy.
Now... I have heard Tarot of Dreams by C Marchetti tarot app is quite popular and very used. It's not free and I don't think it's worth the money. Better get the actual deck and do the tarot in real life.