Ordering the Deck Between Readings?

tieduptinkerbell

ordering

I was reading a good book once...and it was saying...we are just conduits of the energy...using our spirit and insight to read what the cards tell us...and that three different people could read three different decks with three different spreads and come to the same conclusion or answer to the same question.

It made me think...the whole idea is that we use a higher source than ourselves...so it should not matter what order the deck is in ...and I read reversed so that does not matter to me either. The only thing I do about once a month is cleanse the cards...under running water...in a bag of course. Or I cleanse after a reading that has left me troubled or full of negitive energy.

I once let a set of cards go...meaning I did not get them back from the place I left them. I felt that no amount of cleansing could rid them of the negitive energy they contained and chose to let them go. That was hard but I just could not bring myself to bring them back into my home or my soul.

Energy is stored in them...definitely. Ours. The people we read for and read about. A higher Power or energy. Lots of energies are inside of them. So I agree that ordering them so that they look right, is kinda contrary to what we are doing.

I can understand counting them once in a while...I only do this when I think I may have had one slip under a counter or something...but normally I KNOW where my cards are...all three decks are an extension of me.

~ peace ~
Bell

Piproach

I don't order the cards before a reading, I usually cut the deck in two then combine them again, which for me personally, dispells the energy of the last reading. This little ritual has always worked well but it is all down to personal preference and whatever you feel comfortable with.

full deck

To quote umbrae from any number of posts: "shuffle . . ."

Some have these fanciful ideas of ordering a deck just so as to void any energies that might be left over from God knows where. It seems more like thinking a steering wheel drives the car and not the driver.

heatherjade

I never ever order my deck. Period.
Before this thread the concept never even occured to me.
For myself ordering the deck would, in essence, deny them their rich history.

Besides, wouldn't that take forever?

Agathe

Oh, I put my decks in order when I'm done working with them...and that would be every day :D.
First I put the Major Arkana in order (from the Fool to the World). Then on top of that I put wands (from 2 to the King), cups (from 2 to the King), swords (from 2 to the King), and the last but not least pentacles (from 2 to the King). At the very top I place Aces just because I like the force of 4 of them together. I put them in the same order as the Minor Arkana.
Call me crazy :D...I just like when they are in order. Then things in my life seem to be more organized.

Clay

Wow. I'm in a tiny minority.

I was really surprised when I just discovered this thread and read through it only to realize that I (as well as Agathe, I see) am in a tiny minority of people who put the cards back in order after every reading. I do this for two reasons. (Besides the fact that I'm probably anally retentive, that is.)

1. I just feel like I should always start off the same. I guess I think I'm making it easier on my inner being or my subconscious or whatever when the cards are always in the same order before I begin a reading. (I do realize that our inner selves are probably perfectly capable of keeping track of the cards without that help, but my ego-consciousness just feels better about it when the cards are in order to start off.)

2. I carry a deck around with me all the time and often pull out cards in order to restudy a reading (I write them all down in a notebook or record them on an IC recorder). I also like to just pull out particular cards and study their iconography more closely in the hopes of gaining new insights or a better understanding.

We all probably have our own favorite order that we consider basic. For me, it's (when holding the deck with the image side up) trumps I to XXI, then the Fool (because it seems to belong everywhere and so makes a good link between the trumps and the suits), and then the batons, cups, swords, and coins ordered from ace through king.

Clay

Grizabella

I don't reorder my cards. I like to keep them well shuffled and when a deck is in order, it takes awhile to shuffle them into a truly random order. I just like keeping all the "shuffles" in the cards to begin with. Even when I put a deck away for awhile I don't reorder them.

chrisam-crystals

i only reorder the decks that i am not using on a regular basis, or when i am getting to know a deck for the first time.

but i actually enjoy doing it anyway, as i find it very calming and almost like a sort of meditation......am i weird then?

lol

zach bender

let the deck handle it

I have two decks, which I use for almost daily readings for myself, and it has been my practice never to resequence either one. I figure the deck may be preparing sequences and reversals for tomorrow's reading, even as I am shuffling for today, so I just leave it alone.

zb

by the same token, I suppose if one day the deck said to me, let's resequence, then I would do it.

Persephone37

tarotbear said:
No, I do not put a deck I'm using in order between readings, but decks in storage usually are 'ordered' before they are put away. I find that when I am finished with a reading that I do a few more shuffles before I wrap up the cards, thus scattering the cards once again.

Yupp, me two.

Regards
Petra