Marseille 3-card combinations

Herzog

I've been anxious to ring in on this... was just waiting until my schedule cleared up a bit so I can give it a little extra thought :)

There's some serious darkness going on here. The Devil and Ten Swords are like one image the way the swords and chains curve and along with diable's wings the way they arch up and how they seem to rhyme with the handles of the scimitars.

A powerful image of claustrophobia and unhappiness but also this idea of "NO TRESPASSING" the way the swords cross together and how diable's stance and his raised arm and pitchfork seem to suggest a halt. This may indicate infidelity or an extramarital affair coming to an end. The woman with the sword appears to have had enough and is fighting for a way out of a mess created by her and her "lover." If not, and seeing as her back is turned to the problem, she is in denial or under a lot of stress over the issue

overall, a strong picture of blackness (for lack of a better word) and maybe even "bad luck."

elvenstar

Interesting how almost everyone but me saw doom and gloom in these cards. I must have been in a particularly optimistic mood yesterday! To be fair, if this was a real reading I probably would have added some warnings and caveats, as even in his most fluffy bunny moments there's always a catch with the devil. So perhaps I would have said something like, all these fun and games are well and good, but they could end up being destructive, undermining the relationship if taken to extremes to the detriment of the more caring, loving aspects.

Teheuti, I'm not sure I understand your question? I don't use playing cards systems with tarot, which tend to be more fixed in their positive/negative cards. So I guess for me the same combination could potentially describe a 'good' or 'bad' relationship depending on the situation.

Moonbow

I posted about these cards using a mixture of playing card cartomancy methods, and visually I could also make the same message fit. But remembering that this is a general issue and not question specific, the cards do leave themselves open to various messages, so its wonderful that elvenstar was able to see something different to others. Visually I could also see the message more positive in that the Queen is moving away from a troubled relationship, ending it and starting over afresh. I can see her moving away from a love affair situation as well.

Its the beauty of reading in a reflective way, with no set card meanings, and this exercise shows us that the Marseilles is flexible and fluid enough to be read in so many different ways. Personally I love it when people come up with different possible meanings, it helps us all to see more in the cards.

alec

Moonbow* said:
Its the beauty of reading in a reflective way, with no set card meanings, and this exercise shows us that the Marseilles is flexible and fluid enough to be read in so many different ways. Personally I love it when people come up with different possible meanings, it helps us all to see more in the cards.

Yes, agree completely. This a such a rare opportunity for us to learn from and with other readers. I'm very appreciative.

Herzog

Some readers see "dark" messages, others more "optimistic" messages. This is the beauty of what we do and points toward "style". No one is wrong and all variations are legit.

I could imagine a more optimistic interpretation for these cards but my gut tends to steer me in gloomier directions. Having said that, I would spin the story of these cards to give the sitter a more silverish lining by looking outside the spread for advice.

The Devil is what he is, but knowing what comes before and after the Devil in the series and incorporating this information paints a much fuller picture for me to draw on as a reader and for the sitter to think about

Teheuti

alec said:
Teheuti, What would you think if the Ace of Swords was in the center? Or the 3 or 5 of Swords?
Good question, Alec. I hope others respond.

My impression with the Ace of Swords in the center is that the Queen has either severed her relationship with a troubled/badly depressed man (given that he is the 10 of Swords) or done something to end the cycle and begin a new one. Whether she 'killed' him or not with that sword (in her mind?), she definitely seems to feel empowered by the act.

With the Three of Swords I would wonder if he had died recently or is very ill or there had been a bitter divorce or the anguish of an affair that had left her feeling in pain and alone. She is moving on but deeply wounded or in grief.

BTW, I love this kind of exercise and appreciate everyone's ideas and perspective.

The issue of depression made me think that another possibility could be that the Queen of Swords with the Devil is deeply tied (bound) to a very depressed man—but it still doesn't look like a very good situation to me. The only hope is that she seems to be moving away from the situation rather than toward it.

prudence

KariRoad said:
I think you mean Martha and George. Or do you precisely mean Liz and Dick?
But really then, why not Honey and Nick? Sandy Dennis and George Segal.
I meant the characters they were playing in the film.

Bernice

Originally Posted by alec
Teheuti, What would you think if the Ace of Swords was in the center? Or the 3 or 5 of Swords?

and

Posted by Teheuti
......snip......
The issue of depression made me think that another possibility could be that the Queen of Swords with the Devil is deeply tied (bound) to a very depressed man—but it still doesn't look like a very good situation to me. The only hope is that she seems to be moving away from the situation rather than toward it.

It's the Swords (spades) isn't it? We all seem to have misgivings about this suit. So I looked at the spade meanings in the paper that I mentioned earlier to see what they are;

Queen Swords = SECRETS. Not general or public knowlegde
10 Swords = INDEPENDANCE. Standing alone. Complete responsibility for action or inaction. Self-sufficiency.

Not so bad! But with Devil at the centre:
Some sort of fateful dependance? Or something rather underhand about this relationship.....

I think it's the Devil that enhances the negativity.

Bee :)

Teheuti

Bernice said:
It's the Swords (spades) isn't it? We all seem to have misgivings about this suit. So I looked at the spade meanings in the paper that I mentioned earlier to see what they are;

Queen Swords = SECRETS. Not general or public knowlegde
10 Swords = INDEPENDANCE. Standing alone. Complete responsibility for action or inaction. Self-sufficiency.

There are dozens of sets of playing card meanings so it's important to determine which ones (or which systems) you are going to use and stick to them (or simply work intuitively with the cards).

For instance:
TEN OF SPADES (SWORDS)

1729 (English): If it be good to follow what you intend to do?

1797 (English): Is of bad import, it will in a great measure counteract the good effect of the other cards. [Unless] it be seconded by other ominous cards; its influences may be got over.

1869 (English): Disgrace; crime; imprisonment. Death on the scaffold. A card of caution.

1896 (French): Distance, water, journey. R: Sickness, trouble, mourning.

1901 (French): Tears, a prison. R: Sorrow lasting a short time.

1904 (English): Evil omen; grief, imprisonment. Detracts from good cards.

1904 (French): Grief, loss of freedom. R: Passing trouble, illness.

Added: As I read all of these I get another sense of the original reading -

Person 2 feels imprisoned/bound by the lack of care/love of the Queen of Swords as she focuses elsewhere and not on him.

Moonbow

A new combo

The subject this time is Education/Studies. I'll post mine later.

picture-11.png