Dusserre Dodal - Tarot de Marseille

euripides

we need to get them to do a reprint. They could market it to RenFaire types as 'authentic', I'm sure, to broaden the market. They probably still have the plates stashed somewhere.

le pendu

euripides said:
we need to get them to do a reprint. They could market it to RenFaire types as 'authentic', I'm sure, to broaden the market. They probably still have the plates stashed somewhere.

Agreed! I'm sure the deck would sell better now then it did back then. It's so frustrating for those of us into the historic decks to wade through all of the modern ones.. and know that something like the Dodal exists but isn't in print!

I assume that the museum wants outrageous prices, otherwise wouldn't publishers like Il Meneghello or some similar have jumped on this already?

jmd

I know that when this has been talked about before, there is a generally held view that the market is in fact rather small, rather than as large as we'd either like to believe... or in fact 'should' be!

In terms of the BN issue, Dusserre (and therefore Grimaud/Cartes France? I cannot recall if Dusserre is part of CF or not) already do indeed have the plates, so it should not prove a major hurddle should they decide to get it re-printed.

As far as I'm aware, the British Museum (BM) copy of the deck as never been republished, and though did not have my Dusserre (BN) copy with me at the time, appears to have been (an earlier copy) made from the same woodblock (the only detail I carefully noted for comparative purposes were the 'I.P.' on the Moon, which I discuss in my article in the link above). Of course, this BM copy also does not have the BN stamps on each card!

Getting new plates (or .tiff files, or photos) from some places, like the British Museum (from some recent communication with, in this instance, Thierry Depaulis) does end up not only costing a small fortune, but then the usage of those images for publication may add additional costs that are quite prohibitive given the overall relative small likely return.

In any case, I suspect that there are likely enough Dusserre Dodal still around in various places to satisfy a few more amongst us - it's more, I suspect, a matter of finding them!

euripides

och, dinnae bring practicalities into it! *hmph*

le pendu

jmd said:
In any case, I suspect that there are likely enough Dusserre Dodal still around in various places to satisfy a few more amongst us - it's more, I suspect, a matter of finding them!

Oh Great!! So maybe you'll part with yours while we're all looking?

;) ;) ;)

prudence

yeah, fat chance I'll find one in this cowboy town...I envy people who live in places where antiques are common place and older relatives have stashed away Dusserres. Though I do hold out the hope that someday I will go to a great yardsale, and there will be an old deck that no one else even notices, as the other shoppers are just looking for things like ironing boards and cowboy hats, and I will snatch it up for an outrageously low price. :D

Ahh, to daydream.

You never know, maybe that is how I will score myself a Dusserre. :D

euripides

We're all mad. We should be, like "Dodal? What, that old thing? Nah, nobody's interested these days. I'll take it off your hands if you want rid of it. Tell yah what, I'll swap it for a nice shiny new deck of Bicycle Poker cards, ok?"

le pendu

prudence said:
Though I do hold out the hope that someday I will go to a great yardsale, and there will be an old deck that no one else even notices, as the other shoppers are just looking for things like ironing boards and cowboy hats, and I will snatch it up for an outrageously low price. :D
I picture a man and a woman, strangers, bickering over the Tarot of the Vampire Mermaid Cats.
"I saw it first!", he says.
"Well you should have grabbed it then!", she snarls, holding the deck tightly.
"Look, the High Blood-Drinking Swiming Priestess with Fur card in this deck means a LOT to me. I use it as my avatar. I've been looking for it everywhere!" He tugs at the deck.
Prudence inches closer to the the Dodal, and whispers "Popess" to herself. She slowly reaches out her hand.
"Look," The woman says "Here's another deck, take it..." She grabs the Dodal and forces it at the man, Prudence tries not to look alarmed.
"I don't want THAT!" he cries, "It doesn't even have pictures on the number cards! How am I supposed to know the Four of Pentacles means financial stability or greed if I don't see the picture to remind me?"
"Pips. Coins. Ha." Prudence sputters.
They both look at her. "What, you want this deck?"
"Nah" says Prudence, casually. She looks at the shiny Tarot of the Vampire Mermaid Cats, "I want that one!"
"Oh no you don't!" says the woman, "here, take this one since he doesn't want it." and she shoves the Dodal into Prudence's hands.
"All right, if you insist." "How much for this broken deck?" she asks the owner.
"I'll let you have it for 10 bucks."
"Five."
"Done!"
Prudence hears the man and woman snicker as she walks away. "Can you believe she paid $5 for that?" "I KNOW, she didn't even notice that Justice and Strength were misnumbered!"

:)

prudence

I don't know, man, that sounds like way more work than I was hoping to put in to it. :D

I just wanted to get in, get my deck, get out. No one sees a thing, just a poof of smoke, and maybe a wicked giggle could be overheard as I drive away with my new deck in my greedy hands. (YEs! Driving while shuffling....:D)

kb2000

dusserre dodal Tarot de Marseille

Thanks to everyone - Ive established the date to be mid 80s and that the pack is as it should be with 78 cards and a small 80 page booklet in French so I guess this will be destined for Ebay over the weekend. This pack holds little or no value to me so I will let any prospective buyer decide its value. Your site has been a joy and proved interesting and informative to a mere novice as myself.