Not so great reading experience...

Alissa

If I was the shop owner, I would want to know my customers' feedback. And given that you have a reading background of your own, you can be tactful but still point out that you felt her reading style left you feeling a bit ripped off.

So sorry you had a bad one........

HearthCricket

I don't want to be that cold about it. These people have treated me very nicely and greet me like I am a best friend whenever I walk in the door. They pick out the nicest crystals for me, let me pick things out before they put them up front, order things for me, etc. and tell me to come by just to chat whenever I want. It isn't all about buying. They are decent and kind people. I want to be kind and tactful about it, but honest. I can do that. It isn't going to be a huge deal. I do have a strong feeling, when overhearing about the schedule, that maybe she just isn't living up to their standards and they already know this. So, I will share my experience with them, truthfully, and what they do from there is up to them. I only go for readings once in a while and there is no reason I have to go to her again, if they keep her. I am not going to ask for my money back. I believe firmly that when you go for a reading you are taking a chance, until you get to know that person and their qualifications. It is the not-so-great side of tarot/angel/oracle/etc readers that we have to shop around a bit until we find one that fits well. Besides, far too many times they have tucked a new CD or stone or crystal or figurine in my bag for free because they think I would like it or it is "me", only for me to come in a week later and see these items priced at 20.00. They have gifted me in many ways. I want to do this gently, but honestly. I just have a feeling I won't be the first one to mention this about her. It wasn't "my" reading or that I didn't like what it showed. It was the way she handled it, or, in this case, didn't really handle it at all!

Lillie

If the shop people are so nice then they deserve to hear the truth from you.

Tell them straight, cos this reader won't be doing their business any favours at all.

Tell them 'I wish I didn't have to tell you this, but the reading I got the other day was really bad, she read the meanings off the cards and left it at that. I felt disappointed, and a bit ripped off. I love this shop and that is why I felt I had to tell you this.'

Something like that.
They deserve to know, because if I walk out of a shop feeling like I have been ripped off I might never go back there, even if it isn't the shop itself that ripped me, it's the association in my mind.

Pao

oh I feel so bad you got such a crappy reading with such a lovely deck :(

I do think that many people see doreen Virtue's decks and think its easy, you just read the book, but you said she didnt even do that!

I would be honest with the shop's owners because if they are so nice what if this lady is taking advantage of them? maybe they dont know just how bad she is at this. and even though its "only" $20 thats just too much to get no insight or valuable advice! I would be mad! and it also IMO affects the reputation of the shop and like Lillie said nobody will want to go back there to buy anything if they have this sort of people working there.

i feel bad go to the oracle section and get one there for free! or better yet ill do one for ya! :D

but yes definitely tell them!

Eco74

Telling the shop owners about the bad reading wouldn't be a reflection on them.

They've given her a chance, possibly gotten feedback on her before that isn't up to par and it's not their responsibility to test out every reader personally a few times to get an idea of what they're like before giving them a spot in the shop.

Tactful would be telling them that you were disappointed in the reading because she only read the text on the cards and didn't go in depth on the cards or in any other aspect of the reading - contrary to what her info indicated she would.
Just keep it to your reading experience, no speculations. They will probably appreciate your honesty, and if she was just having a bad day, they'll know that too from other feedback they've gotten about her.
No harm and no foul...

Mellifluous

I feel that's the limitation of oracles; or at least oracles like that, where a very specific meaning is written in the booklet or on the card. It's a lot different from tarot. There doesn't really seem to be much else to say unless you're just pulling it out of your you-know-what. lol

I use them for myself, but as for using them to read for others I don't see how it could be done in a way that justifies charging money for it. They don't really spark anything intuitive. They just are what they are. I mean, in this case, each picture is an angel so... what else are you supposed to get from it? :p Either you're reading the card/book or memorizing it and paraphrasing it later. (Unless you're really doing psychic readings, with cards in your hands.)

Also, think of the ones with yes/no options. Would you pay $20 to hear yes or no? Kind of anticlimatic, but it is what it is. lol

The 'cool' factor with oracle decks, IMO, is drawing cards that actually align with your question. Most times they do, but sometimes they don't. Very different from tarot where every card aligns with your question, you just have to figure out how.

I know there are people who offer readings with these (and similar oracles) for money, but personally I wouldn't pay for it unless I was just really curious about the deck and had money to burn. Or the reader had a very good word-of-mouth rep as a psychic or medium, I guess, and I wanted that type of reading.

She might have been trying to see how and if these decks could be worked into her reading practice, experimenting with a new thing. You never know.

If you didn't like it/her though, that's fair. If you feel you have to, just tell the people at the shop straight out. I don't really see that it would be a big deal since it seems like you're friends with them by now. :) Good luck!

blackroseivy

It's the hardest thing, having to tell people who like (& who like you) something they do not want to hear. But going back over it won't change things - more likely you will get even more disappointed & unhappy over it. I think that it's the right thing to do - that said, I do NOT envy you your position. If it were me, I'd be seriously hesitant, too!

mac22

I'm disappointed you had such a poor reading experience HC. Unfortunately there are many such poor "readers" out there. They give the entire profession a black eye. They also give the local TPTB....an excuse for further attempt at regulation. I agree with what others have said I WOULD have a private chat with the shop owner.

mac22

Simone

I remember reading a few cards from Chronata's Virtue decks when we met up - I don't own any, and I had never used them before. I think the results were quite interesting (Chronata, if you read this, confirm, or infirm, if it was utter bs, I'd like to know ;) ).

Anyway, although I don't particularly like the decks, I found it relatively easy to do a reading with them - connecting more to the querant than the cards.

My point is - this sounds like this reader thinks reading cards is a quick way of making some bucks, and that she doesn't have to put in any effort... I'd even suggest she gets that message, not only the owners of the store.

mysticmonkey

Simone said:
My point is - this sounds like this reader thinks reading cards is a quick way of making some bucks, and that she doesn't have to put in any effort... I'd even suggest she gets that message, not only the owners of the store.
I agree. It's really short changing people to read like this. A cold reader could do a more convincing job of it.

I also think you will be doing the shop owners a favour by telling them the truth. They probably know that you know what you are talking about and if this reader is putting people off the store they'll end up losing money so it's better that they find out now. Especially as you think they probably have doubts about her anyway.