Wildwood Tarot

irisa

Le Fanu said:
The bottom line of it is that it must be infuriating if your name is on a deck which seems very desirable on the market and people are paying crazy prices for it and yet you can't reprint it because the artist refuses is.

I can see where he's coming from...

I don't know Mark Ryan and personally wouldn't presume to know what his thoughts are on this or what has prompted him to want to revise and update. I certainly think it's unfair to hint that it's merely financially orientated...

oak_woman said:
Yes, but ...

If Mark Ryan is neither the deck's artist nor the shamanic/Celtic expert (which role undoubtedly falls to John Matthews) just what will he bring to the Wildwood Tarot?

It's noteworthy that with the Greenwood, Chesca Potter felt moved to write her own online handbook as her interpretations of the cards were often at odds with what Mark Ryan had written in the companion book ...

I don't read much into that. In my experience it's not unusual for two creative people to have very differing ideas and opinions. And I see card meanings as opinions :)

There's an interview from 1998 (relevant part starts about halfway down the page) where Mark talks about the evolution of the Greenwood and his work with Chesca if anyone's interested.

http://www.boldoutlaw.com/robint/ryan1.html

As I say I don't know the guy but I do think he's taking a bit of a unjustified bashing here.

irisa

coredil

irisa said:
There's an interview from 1998 (relevant part starts about halfway down the page) where Mark talks about the evolution of the Greenwood and his work with Chesca if anyone's interested.

As I say I don't know the guy but I do think he's taking a bit of a unjustified bashing here.

irisa
Thanks a lot for this link.
I was never aware of who is Mark Ryan!
I also never would have made a connection between the Greenwood Tarot deck and Robin Hood!!!

irisa

You're welcome :) Glad you found it interesting coredil.

SolSionnach

irisa said:

irisa
I'm not sure where you're coming from with this, irisa. I certainly don't read anything in this thread as *bashing* - particularly that quote from Le Fanu. Of *course* it would be frustrating to not be able to reprint something that you put your soul into, you don't have to "know" Ryan to know that. It's a normal human emotion.

I do agree with you re: their seemingly differing takes on the cards. That's always an issue with a collaboration.

There are more issues with the GW - for instance, the "court" cards were to have been titled "Guardian, Holder, Wanderer, Blessing" (King, Q, Knight, P), but the publisher insisted on the regular titles. I would like to have a word with whatever idiot made that choice!

cardlady22

irisa said:

Thank you! Two searches fulfilled in one swoop! I had seen a few of those televised episodes Robin of Sherwood, but couldn't remember the name or any of the actors.

I'm even more interested to see where they take this.

irisa

sravana said:
I'm not sure where you're coming from with this, irisa. I certainly don't read anything in this thread as *bashing* - particularly that quote from Le Fanu. Of *course* it would be frustrating to not be able to reprint something that you put your soul into, you don't have to "know" Ryan to know that. It's a normal human emotion.

sravana to clarify - I was repying to the post by Le Fanu and my reply was discussing the decision to revise and update - not reprint. Heart and soul is a different context to me than huge prices/clever marketing.

This actually made me think... and in his shoes I think I would want to do something else, related but different, rather than reprint... reprint would take a little of the magic away :)

Either way I still wouldn't presume to pass comment on his motivation. The one constant in human nature is that we don't all see things the same way (thank heavens!) so it's my opinion when observing others we actually know nothing and can't take anything for granted.

My bashing comment was seperate at the end of the post and was my opinion not based on any one post. An example of how we don't all see things the same way :)

Me too cardlady22 I'm really looking forward to seeing where they go with it!

irisa

AJ

irisa said:
From Mark Ryan's MySpace Blog dated July 24th:
I love this description of how the Wildwood has journeyed full
irisa

The Greenwood Tarot has been out of print for some years now, so it’s timely and fitting that a revised and updated version be produced by this high-quality publishing house.
reading the rest of the quote below, the above quoted information seems to be pulled out of someones... because;

The Wildwood Tarot has actually come full circle in many ways, as I originally pitched the idea to Nick Eddison and Ian Jackson of Eddison-Sadd in the early nineties. At that time it was not a project we could go forward with together

My edition of the Greenwood have a 1996 publish date, so the Wildwood probably predates any ideas of a co-deck with Potter.

and Harper Collins picked it up and requested we change the name to The Greenwood Tarot. So in a way The Wildwood Tarot (It’s original name) has completed it’s journey around “The Wheel” and it has finally come home!

Who knows now if it was Ryan's or Eddison's idea to tie in to the Potter Greenwood, but based on the bulk of Ryan's quote above there is No relationship between the two other than general theme.

My 2 cents :) I love Worthington's art and will probably buy the deck, but no one will convince me they are really reworking the actual Greenwood deck. That's just marketing on their part.