Which tarot deck was the most disappointing buy?

Phineas

oh god, the Llewellyn Vampyres.

……..

Then it arrived and as I'm not 13 years old, it just meant nothing to me. A deck for pouting adolescent girls. Not me.

And it's about as Thoth-based as Miley Cyrus

I'd like to see footage of Crowley doing the Bum Bounce thingie before we confirm or deny this statement Le Fanu

PathWalker

I'm learning such a lot from this thread! Hadn't seen the Gypsy Palace before - wonder if you would have been so disappointed if you hadn't had the gypsy expectations? And if you'd been playing appropriate music whilst you opened it? LOL Actually wouldn't mind seeing the real thing, but perhaps not at that price.

And who is Miley whats-her-name?And what is the bum-wiggle thing? Off to investigate.
I'm sure Mr Crowley could have done what you said with her, but I think the key is "would he have enjoyed it?"

Pathwalker
:)

magpie9

I'm learning such a lot from this thread! Hadn't seen the Gypsy Palace before - wonder if you would have been so disappointed if you hadn't had the gypsy expectations? And if you'd been playing appropriate music whilst you opened it? LOL Actually wouldn't mind seeing the real thing, but perhaps not at that price.
Pathwalker
:)

Anybody would have had huge Gypsy expectations after seeing the video. the artist danced around all gypsied up, Hungarian gypsy type music in the background. Even Crowley would have whipped out a scarf, tambourine and a full skirt in expectation of dancing round the campfire under a full moon with this deck!
But even without the Gypsy expectations I would have been disappointed.Weird colorful Interesting art with little or no connection to Tarot as we know it on this Planet.

Miss Divine

oh god, the Llewellyn Vampyres.

I was egged on in the enabling thread I think - or maybe just the deck thread itself - and very much learnt my lesson on this one.

I never listen to what other people say now :D

It has substance (they said), it's Thoth-based (they said), it's really quite clever (they said).

Then it arrived and as I'm not 13 years old, it just meant nothing to me. A deck for pouting adolescent girls. Not me.

And it's about as Thoth-based as Miley Cyrus

Hahahaha this really cracked me up! :D

I'm not 13 either but I absolutely love this deck. :)

Chiska

Shadowscapes. Such beautiful artwork, but as tarot, it just never worked for me. At all. I would look at the cards and go, "uhm....dunno..."

pumog

Oh dear, I have to add one more - one which I haven't even bought yet! I was totally convinced I would ADORE the Mary-El, I was looking forward to ordering it, all the cards I saw were mainly fantastic, a few just "whatever"... but having had my fingers burnt on the Victorian Romantic I decided I have to look at ALL the cards. Good move. I know I'm in the minority in the Tarot world, but I just can't face the King of Discs as Pan and the 9 of Discs as Baphomet. I so wish I could, as I so much love the rest of the art, but there it is: I can't!!! Also, I get her reasoning the way she explains it, sort of, (I read an interview with J Ricklef) but using such a strong, iconic symbol for a minor card like the 9 of discs seems like stretching the reasoning a bit too far into the bizzarre.

magpie9

Bizzare? The Mary-El? :bugeyed: :rolleyes: It's sort of the antithesis of the Gaian78 , as big a disappointment for many....

Linfang

Anybody would have had huge Gypsy expectations after seeing the video. the artist danced around all gypsied up, Hungarian gypsy type music in the background. Even Crowley would have whipped out a scarf, tambourine and a full skirt in expectation of dancing round the campfire under a full moon with this deck!
But even without the Gypsy expectations I would have been disappointed.Weird colorful Interesting art with little or no connection to Tarot as we know it on this Planet.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and impressions! I was long considering buying this deck, but was afraid that I would not understand it. I can live with decks deviating from the standards, but only when I get an idea why the artist has done a deck in this special way. Probably I would not get the idea of this one.

One deck I bought when I was blue and wanted something to match my mood was the Mystic Dreamer. Never got around to like it, it's so kitschig! It sleeps deep in one of my drawers, since I am still hoping to connect some day.

nicky

Tarot Favole - boring -

Fifth Tarot - never could work with it

Goddess Tarot - giant borders and artwork is so blah - never thought I would dislike something goddess related but this did it

il Tarocco del Mondo Nuovo - every time I pull it out I am reminded what horrific monsters Columbus and his crew were

luckily I saw the illuminated before even considering buying - awful execution - dodged that bullet!!

pumog

Bizzare? The Mary-El? :bugeyed: :rolleyes: It's sort of the antithesis of the Gaian78 , as big a disappointment for many....

Not the deck in itself, I meant her choosing such a major drumroll flash bang here it is guys kind of iconic symbol (Baphomet) for a relatively minor importance card (9 discs) seems like a bizzarre stretch of reasoning to me.

Do you mean Joanna P Colbert's deck? Yes, that was another huge disappointment to me. I followed that one as it grew, loving it, looking forward to it... but then gradually all the self-satisfied looking djembe playing tie dye wearing rainbow loving hippies came out of the woodwork and .... bleargh!!!!