For ALL who have the LS Native American Tarot!

Mi-Shell

Badger Bussines

With 3 cards showing Badgers in this deck I think the Badger deserves a closer inspection.
Badgers are highly regarded among the Plains tribes.
I spend 2 days checking through all material available on these animals and the Plains lore and legends around it and can only assume that the fact that Badgers only in the rarest + extremest of situations will climb a tree!
All the more surprising that 2 of our badgers are “up a tree” in this deck!!!! Maybe these are specially trained Lo Scarabeo Badgers!
somehow they look more like Raccoon kits ....
The Natives revere the Badger for its amazing capacity to dig in the earth and thereby coming in contact with the roots of healing plants make Badger a helper in Healing.
The third Badger and my favorite sits on top of a shell.
and there the trouble begins!
This is not a shell Native People would ever have had, it is a Spider conch from the Indian Ocean (Lambis) or the Tuamotu Islands down over to east Africa......
I honestly do not know what to say about that....Abalone shells are widely used for smudging =cleansing and making sacred with the smoke of sage, cedar, sweetgras and tobacco and IF our little Badger were sitting with one of those... ready to use in a healing ritual.....
anyway, Let’s assume someone got this shell in the tourist shop in Rapid City, lost it In the Black Hills and our little Badger found it....

Attachments

• 3 Badgers AT.jpg
    3 Badgers AT.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 195

Mi-Shell

peace_pixie said:
i really would love this deck (LS one) but if i got it i'd be tempted to trim all the borders and key words off...

I think it would be great if you wrote a book Mi-shell, you have a wealth of knowledge about alot of things

Thanks for your vote of confidence there, Pixie! but I have a bussy life as it is and here I can just write what I think and if I am way of barking up the wrong tree you guys are there to correct me and teach me! ...And I do not have to know everything either!

As to trimming the deck; I am very tempted there! I wish the cards were the size of the DruidCraft; that would be great for the artwork and trimmed they would still be a nice size!

Mi-Shell

More on Badger:

The Strength and Tenacity of the Badger:

The superior claws and digging power, as well as the vicious and tenacious fighting qualities of the badger, led to the Oglala to associate this animal with curing practices and desired powers for warfare. In both these skills, the badger seems to have been closely associated with the bear; however, because of the badger's relatively small size, the powers for curing associated with him seem to be directed, appropriately, to medicines for children. Eagle Shield, who stated that he had received powers from the badger in a dream, claimed to have power for curing children, although he also indicated that: "some consider his medicine [the badger] stronger than that of the bear, as he digs deeper and further into the ground."21
As the underground Power of the Earth, inherent in the roots and herbs, came to be represented through the form of the bear, so too the badger seems to be associated with a parallel concept. In an Oglala legend, for example, the hero Iron Hawk is told that the badger is "an earth animal-he lives and digs in the earth. This food means that you also must live on the earth. It is good for you ... this is holy earth and you are going to walk on the earth."22
The essential and justifying power-principle underlying the Oglala Akicita Badger Society (Ihoka) lies in the observed and sought-after strength and fighting qualities of the badger. The term lhoka itself "seems to mean badger mouth and was explained as referring to the characteristic grimaces and growlings of the badger when attacked."23 It
7518;4;(21486,0);(0,0);(0,21492);(21486,21492)
should also be noted that the "no-flight" or "no-retreat" custom observed in warfare by certain members within the Societies certainly had its model in the fighting behaviour of the badger.

Legends and traditions: Badger
According to Oglala (Lakota) belief, badger is an earth animal because it lives in a den and digs in the earth. Badger represents fighting qualities which a warrior would do weIl to emulate. It attacks when necessary, with powerful aggression, using teeth and claws that can rend hard earth. So, badger symbolizes the wiIlingness to fight for what we want.
Badger has been linked with medicinal roots, and in some ceremonies the medicine man or woman would use a badger's claw or paw (or something representative of them, such as a rattle decorated with badger fur) to dig the disease from the affected part. The curative power of badger is similar to that of bear. Both taught man what roots and herbs were good to eat. The shaman of bear medicine also used a rattle or claw to dig at disease. Badger, as smaIler than bear, was more often associated with children, and its medicine was often woman's medicine, while bear was so male that in some tribes there was an interdict against women touching or treating the skins.
In his book Lakota Belief and Ritual, James Walker described a rite used to predict the future where a person who killed a badger extracted everything from the body cavity, leaving only the blood. If the blood had a smooth, mirror-like surface, the person could view his reflection. If he saw himself and his head was white, then he wiIllive a long time and become a grandfather. If the image reflected looked unweIl, then the person wiIl soon die. If, however, a red head was seen, the person will kiIl an enemy.
In the History and Topography of Ireland by Giraldus Cambrensis, written in the 1190s, badger was referred to as an unclean animal that bites and
frequents rocky, mountainous places. This book further states that, digging with its feet, badger makes holes as places of refuge and defence. Ironically, given what comes before, the author of this book draws the conclusion that badgers are born to service by nature. In later times, keeping a badger's tooth in one's pocket was supposed to make a gambler unbeatable.
Throughout history badger has been on the receiving end of atrocious behaviour. The verb 'to badger' is derived from the European custom of badger-baiting and means 'to persecute' or 'to annoy'. Likewise, badger has been subjected to periods of persecution and extermination in post-Columbian America and in Europe. The farmers of the western United States regularly destroy badger nests, out of fear that the holes will trip up cattle. They forget the service badgers provide in rodent control. Recently, badgers have become infected with the tuberculosis virus in Great Britain, which can then be transferred to man via infected cows' milk. Perhaps one of the best measures of renewed hope for badger is the more measured response that this outbreak has received when compared to previous ones.
MEDICINE AND Power

DIRECTION ELEMENT TRAITS ASSOCIATIONS

North Earth
Courage, strength, perseverance Aggression, keeper of stories

The badger is called upon to impart persistence, determination and endurance. It will dig for hours to unearth its next repast. Similarly, once it has gained access to another animal's den, badger will wait for hours for their prey to return.
Badger also gives mental energy and fighting spirit. Once badger has bitten into something it won't let go. It would die rather than give up, so badger teaches us how to stick to a project and see it through to its completion.
As a digger, badger medicine refers to the use of medicinal roots. It is considered one of the strongest medicines because of the badger's reputed tenacity. Its medicine can be called upon when others fail. Badger gives deep healing of infections. Few people own the badger fur, paws or claws - fewer still would want to - required to invoke its medicine; however, ceremonies can be performed with a rattle upon which a badger's footprint or claws have been drawn. Often this substitution is made by the Native American medicine man or woman of the current day.
Calling upon badger is supposed to allow the healing to penetrate deeper into the system. Many of the motions used by Raike healers, such as plucking out an area of blockage, are similar to those used by badger medicine people of old.
Badger's energies include not only healing but prophecy. Badger medicine could be called upon when scrying with water, crystal or glass.
A more European perspective of badger - for the Eurasian animal is a social animal - is that of storyteller. Thus, badger was the keeper of history in the form of legend and lore. Badger knows both past and future while maintaining a firm grasp on the present. This means that badger, despite its so-called aggressive nature, is a powerful mentor, a giver of strength and wisdom.
The badger person is the boss everyone fears. Chances are the rough exterior hides a lack of self-confidence, timidity and doubt. This person may be gruff, but the badger individual gets the job done. This person is unwilling to quit. The individual with badger medicine has innate healing abilities and may be interested in alternative therapy. Like armadillo, badger digs deep; therefore, it is difficult to keep secrets around a badger.

Bat Chicken

This is awesome Mi-Shell! I am not sure I want this deck, but I am enjoying the discovery in this thread! I wonder if there any good N.A. Native animal decks?

Mi-Shell

Bat Chicken said:
This is awesome Mi-Shell! I am not sure I want this deck, but I am enjoying the discovery in this thread! I wonder if there any good N.A. Native animal decks?

I think that depends how much or how little you know about Native culture and with how many "Quirks" you can live...
For someone that knows little they are all beautiful.....
The White Eagle Medicine Wheele Oracle cards are beautifull and have almost no "quirks" aside from existing at all.....
Jamie Sam's decks are good and teach a lot -although not all First Nation People see the world her way...
For that the cultures have too many differences, especially in the way of what should be taught nowadays,
the colours and their meanings and
what Spirit keepers are to be found where.....
More on that in the Teaching Tent Thread....

Mi-Shell

Tatanka, the Buffalo:

There are 4 cards in this deck, that show Buffalo; most of them a whitish grey one like it would appear in the visions of many Plains People.
tatanka is very sacred! and even more so is a white Buffalo cow and a calf.
White Buffalo Calf Woman is THE most Sacred Spirit Woman in all Plains mythology!
Here is her story in a short version:
WHITE BUFFALO CALF WOMAN
Brings The First Pipe
As told by: Joseph Chasing Horse:
We Lakota people have a prophecy about the white buffalo calf. How that prophecy originated was that we have a sacred bundle, a sacred peace pipe, that was brought to us about 2,000 years ago by what we know as the White Buffalo Calf Woman.
The story goes that she appeared to two warriors at that time. These two warriors were out hunting buffalo, hunting for food in the sacred Black Hills of South Dakota, and they saw a big body coming toward them. And they saw that it was a white buffalo calf. As it came closer to them, it turned into a beautiful young Indian girl.
That time one of the warriors thought bad in his mind, and so the young girl told him to step forward. And when he did step forward, a black cloud came over his body, and when the black cloud disappeared, the warrior who had bad thoughts was left with no flesh or blood on his bones. The other warrior kneeled and began to pray.
And when he prayed, the white buffalo calf who was now an Indian girl told him to go back to his people and warn them that in four days she was going to bring a sacred bundle.
So the warrior did as he was told. He went back to his people and he gathered all the elders and all the leaders and all the people in a circle and told them what she had instructed him to do. And sure enough, just as she said she would, on the fourth day she came.

They say a cloud came down from the sky, and off of the cloud stepped the white buffalo calf. As it rolled onto the earth, the calf stood up and became this beautiful young woman who was carrying the sacred bundle in her hand.
As she entered into the circle of the nation, she sang a sacred song and took the sacred bundle to the people who were there to take of her. She spent four days among our people and taught them about the sacred bundle, the meaning of it.
She taught them seven sacred ceremonies.
One of them was the sweat lodge, or the purification ceremony. One of them was the naming ceremony, child naming. The third was the healing ceremony. The fourth one was the making of relatives or the adoption ceremony. The fifth one was the marriage ceremony. The sixth was the vision quest. And the seventh was the sundance ceremony, the people's ceremony for all of the nation.
She brought us these seven sacred ceremonies and taught our people the songs and the traditional ways. And she instructed our people that as long as we performed these ceremonies we would always remain caretakers and guardians of sacred land. She told us that as long as we took care of it and respected it that our people would never die and would always live.
When she was done teaching all our people, she left the way she came. She went out of the circle, and as she was leaving she turned and told our people that she would return one day for the sacred bundle. And she left the sacred bundle, which we still have to this very day.
The sacred bundle is known as the White Buffalo Calf Pipe because it was brought by the White Buffalo Calf Woman. It is kept in a sacred place (Green Grass) on the Cheyenne River Indian reservation in South Dakota. it's kept by a man who is known as the keeper of the White Buffalo Calf Pipe, Arvol Looking Horse.

I myself know Arvol Loking Horse; he has a rather peculiar name for me: smelly Eagle Girl due to the fact that over 20 years ago I brought a dead Eagle to the Res that was shot by a white farmer for fun and target practice.... (a loooong story of what happened next and how I was invited to help at the Sun Dance and got MY Eagle Feather....
About Chief Looking Horse will just say that he is a very soft spoken gentle man, But - VERY adamant against any White people using any form of Native spirituality!!
Google his name and see for yourself...

Attachments

• 4 Buffalos AT.jpg
    4 Buffalos AT.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 180
  • White-Buffalo-Calf-woman AT.jpg
    White-Buffalo-Calf-woman AT.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 260
  • Arvol 9 years ago.jpg
    Arvol 9 years ago.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 158
  • Arvol 2005 in Toronto.jpg
    Arvol 2005 in Toronto.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 180
  • WhiteBuffaloCalf2004.jpg
    WhiteBuffaloCalf2004.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 162

Little Hare

Thank you Mi-shell for that amazing last post!

The four white buffalo cards have done it! I really am going to look at getting this deck.

Thank you for the explanation of Chief Looking Horse, i have just googled his name and am enjoying reading about him

Blessings

Peace_pixie

Mi-Shell

Thr High Priestess and the Empress who is who!??

This is more a Tarot question: when you look at the cards: which one of the symbols is more the HP and which one is more the Empress.
A HP with a baby in her arms - and sooo young .....?
And on the other side the wise old crone / Medicine Woman teaching her
?granddaughter?- apprentice-? the mysteries of Life !!
All the while the Powerful Bear Spirit = Strength, Goodness and knowledge of self, as well as healing with herbs stands in attendance and lending POWER!

If I ever would use this as a reading deck, I would reverse them....
What do you think??

Attachments

• Empress and High Priestess AT.jpg
    Empress and High Priestess AT.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 186

EarthAngel2911

Hi Mi-Shell! Thank you so much for your wonderful posts! :) This deck has been sitting in my closet for over a year, and your posts have made me want to pull it out and start working with it.

Your question about the HP and Empress is an interesting one. It is strange to see the HP with a babe. (And I'm sure that the LWB does nothing to explain this.) And I love the image of the Empress as the Crone/Medicine Woman. But personally, I don't know if I'd be able to switch the two in a reading. This Empress would follow more closely to the traditional Hierophant. The one thing I've always thought about the HP is that yes, she has knowledge of the mysteries of life, but she's not going to tell them to you. She'll try to guide you to let your intuition find them out for yourself, but I've never seen her as the teacher.

Beautiful images! That's it. As soon as I get home from work, I'm pulling this deck out! :D

Blessings,
Karen

Mi-Shell

Cooking a Goose!

Ok! let's all just do a quick 2-step Goose-dance and pray that the goose on this card is a strange variation of the Great Whitefronted Goose (to be found in northern Alaska and wintering at the Texas coast and in Nevada...( and pleae please please NOT the domestic Chinese Goose that the animal depicted here loooooks like!!!!!)

All that follows here is then related to Geese we have here in North America = Canada Geese, Brant Ceese and Snow Geese .....

LEGENDS AND TRADITI0NS of GOOSE:

The Hidatsa and Mandan peoples of the middle Plains region had a Goose Society that was exclusively female. Its members were mature, between 30 and 40 years of age. They conducted rituals to ensure good crops, the most important of which was held in spring when the geese returned. The birds brought the corn spirits with them. Certain women held sacred corn bundles, and when droughts occurred their magic was sought and special rites were performed. Just as geese brought the corn spirits, the geese also took these spirits away when the birds migrated south for the winter. And therefore, the arrival and departure of geese indicated the turning points of the year.

Goose is guardianship and protection.
Its medicine is good to invoke when one's territory is being invaded. Goose is a symbol of fertility and fidelity, therefore associated with marriage. Its feathers make mattresses and comforters; thus, geese speak of warmth in winter and the return of spring.
And despite all the mythology and symbolic importance of the high-flying Eagle, it is actually Goose that achieves the highest altitudes. Its presence has been recorded by airline pilots at tO,OOO metres (33,000 ft), and it is able to maintain this altitude for long distances. Therefore, goose imparts strength and endurance. Additionally, this ability to reach heights suggests inspiration.
So, goose is good medicine whether the topic is marriage, fertility, protection or rebirth. It could herald a welcome change, such as the return of spring. If its appearance announces the advent of winter, goose imparts the strength to endure the cold with the promise of eventual spring.

Goose has been laughed at as clumsy, and the person with Goose Medicine may reflect this; however, the goose individual is not a good ~nne to anger, for he or she can and will bite.
The goose person is materialistic and highly protective of his or her young and territory.

Attachments

• Goose AT.jpg
    Goose AT.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 176