For ALL who have the LS Native American Tarot!

Mi-Shell

Coyote doing some good - for a change!

The knave of Swords
shows Maree; the Coyote in action, this time stealing fire from .... depending on the legend, some greedy green monsters or that Sky Chief from whom Raven already snatched some in the legends of the North West Coast tribes or an old Woman deep beneath the Earth.....
The Card shows it all!
And just so you see a different version of the brave act, here is a picture from aone of the legends:

Attachments

• Knave of Swords AT.jpg
    Knave of Swords AT.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 250
  • Coyote steals Fire AT.jpg
    Coyote steals Fire AT.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 221

Mi-Shell

The Little People!

I recognise at least 6 cards in this deck that show scenes from legends about the "Little People"
They are very similar to the Celtic Sidhe - Fairies....

the World Card and the 3 of Pentacles are about a story where the Children of the Little People play ball with pecan nuts in a tobacco field!
The little animals are the mice that get the nuts that break during the play.
The Little People like to live in tobacco fields.... That is also, I think, why we see the pipe in the World card.....
Oh well --just face it: we all live on a pecan nut!!??!!

The Chariot and the Knight of Pentacles are from a storie where the Little People try to learn to fly and engage the Hawk Nation for assistance... And again we are -with the Knight of Wands in a Tobacco field....

The Queen of Pentacles is ---I think --- the story of the daughter of the Sun, a Little Person, who brought the Sunflowers to Mother Earth.....

And the 4 of pentacles is about the corn harvest and how the Little people teach the Big ones NOT to plant monoculture fields but plant the 3 Sisters= Corn, Bean and Squash together, 3 plants on a little mound so that Bean can climb up on Corn's stalk, give shade for corn's roots and Squash on the floor gets shade as well and Sucks up the moisture for all 3 Sisters.....
That is the way Native people farmed!

Scans to follow .....

Attachments

• playing ball with nuts.jpg
    playing ball with nuts.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 213
  • Little People and the hawks.jpg
    Little People and the hawks.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 214
  • Little People in the fields.jpg
    Little People in the fields.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 211

Mi-Shell

From one of the websites aove:

The Little People of the Cherokee are a race of Spirits who live in rock caves on the mountain side. They are little fellows and ladies reaching almost to your knees.
They are well shaped and handsome, and their hair so long it almost touches the ground.
They are very helpful, kind-hearted, and great wonder workers. They love music and spend most of their time drumming, singing, and dancing. They have a very gentle nature, but do not like to be disturbed.
Sometimes their drums are heard in lonely places in the mountains, but it is not safe to follow it, for they do not like to be disturbed at home, and they will throw a spell over the stranger so that he is bewildered and loses his way, and even if he does at last get back to the settlement he is like one dazed ever after.
Sometimes, also, they come near a house at night and the people inside hear them talking, but they must not go out, and in the morning they find the corn gathered or the field cleared as if a whole force of men had been at work. If anyone should go out to watch, he would die.
When a hunter finds anything in the woods, such as a knife or a trinket, he must say, 'Little People, I would like to take this' because it may belong to them, and if he does not ask their permission they will throw stones at him as he goes home.
Some Little People are black, some are white and some are golden like the Cherokee. Sometimes they speak in Cherokee, but at other times they speak their own 'Indian' language. Some call them "Brownies".
Little people are here to teach lessons about living in harmony with nature and with others. There are three kinds of Little People. The Laurel People, the Rock People, and the Dogwood People.
The Rock People are the mean ones who practice "getting even" who steal children and the like. But they are like this because their space has been invaded.
The Laurel People play tricks and are generally mischievous. When you find children laughing in their sleep - the Laurel People are humorous and enjoy sharing joy with others.
Then there are the Dogwood People who are good and take care of people.
The lessons taught by the Little People are clear. The Rock People teach us that if you do things to other people out of meanness or intentionally, it will come back on you. We must always respect other people's limits and boundaries.
The Laurel People teach us that we shouldn't take the world too seriously, and we must always have joy and share that joy with others. The lessons of the Dogwood People are simple - if you do something for someone, do it out of goodness of your heart. Don't do it to have people obligated to you or for personal gain.
In Cherokee beliefs, many stories contain references to beings called the Little People. These people are supposed to be small mythical characters, and in different beliefs they serve different purposes.
"There are a lot of stories and legends about the Little People. You can see the people out in the forest. They can talk and they look a lot like Indian people except they're only about two feet high, sometimes they're smaller. Now the Little People can be very helpful, and they can also play tricks on us, too.

Satori

Mi-shell, because of this thread I am now on the hunt for this deck. I love the scans. I am loving the stories. Thank you.

Mi-Shell

Oh, thank you for saying that, Elf! :)
I am still not sure if this is just a messy monologue thread of mine... But the artwork of the deck deserves an experienced and intuitive reades like you!
I somehow felt that I should try and save this artwork from obscurity.....
I just wish we could talk to the person that did it!
M.

Debra

I'm still here, too, Mi-Shell.

I love the coyote info (of course). Here is a wonderful wonderful rendering of the Coyote--of all the animals--by Ursula le Guin. It is one of the best short stories I've ever read; now as a short illustrated book which I believe I must buy. She gives a very clear and compelling vision of the animals--I can't say enough about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Gals-Wont-Come-Tonight/dp/087654071X

Mi-Shell

Debra said:
I'm still here, too, Mi-Shell.

I love the coyote info (of course). Here is a wonderful wonderful rendering of the Coyote--of all the animals--by Ursula le Guin. It is one of the best short stories I've ever read; now as a short illustrated book which I believe I must buy. She gives a very clear and compelling vision of the animals--I can't say enough about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Gals-Wont-Come-Tonight/dp/087654071X

Hi Debra!
Good to hear from you!
You love one of my favorite books!
I am currently nosing through all my books with legends, looking to prove the hunches I have about the immages of several cards.
A great book with many different ones and great illustratins is:
Spirits, Heroes and Hunters from Native American Mythology.---Marion Wood
Another good book about Native ways of live is :
Through Indian Eyes The untold Story of the Native American Peoples-- Reader's Digest
... and talking about tricksters like Coyote:
American Indian Trickster tales ... Richard Erodes and Alfonso Ortiz
The Trickster... A study in American Indian Mythology
Paul Radin
and..
Giving birth to Thunder, sleeping with his daughter Coyote builds North America by Barry Lopez
Oh there are soooo many! But there are good internet sites too.....

Bat Chicken

I just found that book within the country for $7 on Abebooks... so I ordered it! I love Susan Seddon Boulet and LeGuin is always intelligent! I'm so bad... I have NO money!!

firemaiden

Mi-shell, I haven't read this whole thread yet, but I just wanted to post right away and say THANK YOU!!! I have this deck, and I do really love the artwork. I am so happy to have the information that you are posting here, this is priceless. Yes, yes, yes, definitely Lo Scarabeo needs to get you to write a companion book for this deck!