The Bohemian Gothic Tarot

Jewel

baba-prague said:
Still, I think I may always think of it as the Dark Sister myself.
Karen the mini-preview of the deck is exquisite. I understand your dilema with the name. Here at AT I am quite sure this deck will always be known and called "The Dark Sister", you call it whatever works best for marketing *LOL*.

You can jot me down for a copy of the Silver edition. Will this deck come with a book as well?

Jewel

baba-prague said:
So far our thinking is that the limited edition will come with a bag - but it will have to be one standard bag (but we can make others available separately). I think a bag might be nice - though it will put the price up. But perhaps worth it to people, especially if we can do a really stunning "silver" Gothic bag?
As long as it also comes with the book. Please please please do this limited edition with a book. You know I love my bags, but if given a choice with the set I would like the book and to pick my own bag :D

HearthCricket

I wanted to add that I am really excited about your working with silver, for a change. First of all, it will go best with this Gothic theme. I think of a silvery moon and how lovely it looks against those deeps blues, blacks, greens, etc. The Gold editions are lovely and give a nice subtle antique glow to them. But silver shimmers.

I am sure this sounds strange, but I first noticed this on our Christmas trees. I have lots of shiny gold brass in my house and thus gold garland or gold beads seemed to have the perfect touch on the tree....giving it sort of a rich Ren look. But when I put silver against the trees, I realized that they gleam more. Gold has a tendency to absorb light while silver reflects it. I guess because gold is a warm colour and silver is a cool colour. I noticed the same with your bags. I found the ones with the silver cording handles more eye catching than the gold. I wear gold rings, but for the life of me, I can't wear a gold bracelet or watch. Silver looks a thousand times better around my pale wrist!

So, in a nutshell, I am really exicted about seeing the Silver edition and how it will reflect the light, glitter, etc. Of course, you know that means I may want a silver edition of the Victorian Romantic, if all goes well. :D

jackdaw*

Another silver-lover and silver-wearer adding her thanks!

I don't know if the VR would look quite so good with silver, HC - something in it just calls for gold. But the Dark Sister is a silver deck if ever there was one :)

zhahmi

Nine of Swords

I don't know if this has been said already, but the Nine of Swords reminds me of a scene in Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell, where Jonathan Strange's wife has been taken to the "underworld" and is forced to dance all night. Such torment involved in this card - it is absolutely stunning.

caridwen

You have another fan here. If I take one to Transylvania will I get it reduced:D

a_shikhs

Silver is a really cool idea and something very very different. Silver has this somewhat cool gothicky feeling to it. I cant wait to see more cards. :D

Little Baron

baba-prague said:
Hi LB - sorry, I did miss it. No, I think she is horrified and helpless - trapped in a nightmare. It may be that these images are rather small and so the expressions are not that clear. But I don't think there is anything happy in this picture - the grisly phantoms are, I think, very much the ones in control - she is simply being lead - unwilling - in the dance.

I understand. A nice image to play with. I just think that in some situations, skeletons can be a bit cliche and don't really hold much of the 'nightmare' for me when dancing here, that is all.

I really like the idea for a dark deck, Karen, and please don't be offended when I say this. I feel that I should be honest, and all of this 'drooling' and the like in threads like this, flattering as it may be, doesn't really serve much purpose - and isn't that interesting to read [I may even slip on the dribble if I am not careful ;) ]. But as darker as it is, it does feel a touch like decks that you have already created. I know there are obvious differences and you have also found a trademark style, but do you think, as a creator, there is a prospect that you could have become stuck in your ways. As nice as some of the images are to view, do they challenge the two of you creatively? Has it become too easy?

I ask this, not because I want to be confrontational or controversial, but because after working with the Prague for the last couple of weeks, I can see how much raw energy and magic fills that deck, and with later works, as much as they are interesting and thought provoking, those like the VR do not seem to have the same spark.

You know that I think you are one of the more interesting things to hit tarot in a long time and I always appreciate your tarot commentary [in books and here too], so I hope you do not find this post offensive. I am primarily using your decks at the moment [and no others], so it is not a knock on your back-catalogue or reputation as such. I just think they are questions that are worthy of asking, and doubt very much that anyone else will ask them. I have suggested similar things to Ciro. And also feel the same about the Cielo Tarot.

Best, LB

ilweran

zhahmi said:
I don't know if this has been said already, but the Nine of Swords reminds me of a scene in Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell, where Jonathan Strange's wife has been taken to the "underworld" and is forced to dance all night. Such torment involved in this card - it is absolutely stunning.

I've just finished that book and that was my thought as well.

Cocobird55

I agree with whomever said that a book would be wonderful. A kit with a deck, bag and book would be perfect! And since the silver is a limited edition, and most people (at least I think so) are buying extra books and bags, raising the price to cover it shouldn't be a problem. I too love the look of silver, and am really looking forward to this deck.