Alchemical Tarot: Renewed

Master_Margarita

Mariana said:
From the link that AJ gave, I get the impression that Rosemary wrote the book. So I guess this time it'll be a deck without book and therefore he can publish it in his own name without having to add hers?

That could very easily be. I'm pretty sure the artwork was mostly the work of Place; his style is so distinctive.

M_M~

Scion

Great news indeed!

Bob was the sole artist and Guiley was only a coauthor on his companion text. So rather than reprinting the book, he's going to just reprint the deck, which simplifies copyright and royalty etc.

I'll be interested to see if people grok the deck without a user-friendly companion. One of the criticisms leveled at the deck in its first incarnation was how abstract and intellectual and demanding it was... and that was with a book! It seems an appetite for these "demanding" decks is out of step with the marketplace.

I'm almost hoping that interest in this new reissue will inspire Bob to create a new updated compaion book, maybe (to keep costs down) as a print on demand book for interested folks. I'm very curious to see how this new edition sells over time. It really is one of the few modern classics and deserves to find a wide and steady audience. Here's hoping.

Scion

P.S. Here's hoping this Renewed edition will be borderless like the Art Edition...

karen0205

No, it's not sold out. They haven't even started to offer it for sale or pre-orders. The deck that is marked sold out was the original version. She's had a link to the Original Alchemical for a while and I imagine it was in preparation for the new deck to come out. It gets people interested when they see a deck has sold out. I've seen the listing before the new part that says it will be re-printed. It now says that it will be re-printed in 2008 and to watch for it. They will offer it for pre-orders or to buy it as soon as it becomes available. I"m sure they will have something on their home page about it being available again.

Cerulean

My link says "coming soon"/sample spread notes

My link to the store says "coming soon" and I interpreted this to mean the Alchemical Tarot Renewed is coming soon...like the classes being offered via telecast which also feature the Alchemical Tarot.

Also, the samples of spreads with 3, and 9 cards -- click on the right hand side of the "Alchemical Tarot Renewed page"---these have notes so I can see how to work with the deck images in a spread.

Personal musings follow--please skip if you're looking for new info! Partly it's a response to some notes I read here...for some reason, I am hoping my personal ideas below are on-topic with what's being discussed.

The sample spreads online, teleclasses and a popular press edition is probably the most needed thing to tarot users like myself. Even though I saw that the Alchemical Art Edition was released with a CD of the original written text of the Alchemical Tarot book. I never use CD text.

The original kit edition with the book is what I first saw way back in the mid-1990s. I think this was my first choice for a deck similar to the RWS. The learning curve for me had little to do with learning the Alchemical principles, which I thought were fine. For me, then, I just wasn't very adept at handling 78 cards in a reading. For awhile, I just played with courts and trumps for theme-a-week style draws. Then I got busy with other decks.... I just kept the Alchemical for lovely woodcut-style art. So the deck has been with me close to 12 or so years...and not used so much.

Since 2000 I wouldn't use it much because of the "out of print" status...and I have long wished to have the companion book reprinted as well... or just a book dedicated to those images alone with reading samples as well.

Looks like the classes and renewed edition are good starts--hope I get time and keep updated until February when the new edition comes out!

Thanks for the updates, everyone!

Best wishes,

Cerulean

Leisa

I'd like to give an update on the Alchemical Tarot: Renewed.

We got the digital proof back from the printers and I expect to get a good delivery date estimation later in the week.

The deck is not sold out, my shopping cart software didn't have the option to have a coming soon graphic. We will be taking pre-orders when we have a good production date.

The deck will be 2.75" x 4.75" (Standard Tarot Deck size) All of the Artwork has been re-worked to fit this form factor. Unlike, the original edition, the artwork fills up the cards.

The deck has 79 cards, the extra is the sexy lovers. The printer we used only allowed for 79 cards in a deck of this size, I lobbied for the sexy lovers vs. a title card that no one would use anyway. It will come in a tuck box with a little white book. You can see some of the text for the LWB on the 3 & 9 card readings page. I am going to update the images this weekend so you can pre-view the actual card images for this edition.

Robert is working on a new companion book for the alchemical tarot based on his years of working with it.) He was the primary author on the original book, BTW.)

The Teleclasses begin offered right now are not exclusively for the alchemical tarot because you can use the 3 card patterns & the relationship spread with any deck. But there are plans on classes on alchemy & alchemical symbolism when the deck some out. Additionally, the classes are being recorded for future releases so people who can't attend can benefit. I really believe there are things that can be express verbally about tarot that you can't get on paper.

Scion

Excellent news, Leisa! Many thanks for the update.

Just to be clear, in format (scale, borderless, extra Lovers): the deck will be a match for Bob's art edition?

I'm especially excited that Bob is doing an updated book; as it is the old companion is one of the best of its kind, and it's wonderful that he'll be revising and expanding his original material after a decade of working with hiw own images. :thumbsup:

Scion

Leisa

Renewed Details

The art work is close to the Art edition but not exact since the height/width ratio is slightly different. The Alchemical Tarot: Renewed is about 2mm narrower than the Art Edition.

I'll try to get a comparison sheet together so you can see the differences.

Leisa

Info about the Art Edition from Robert Place

First, the art edition is printed on heavy weight 100% cotton rag paper. This is the same type of paper that was used by artists in the Renaissance and, as you can see, there drawings have lasted 600 years without falling apart. it is naturally acid free, unlike wood-pulp paper which starts deteriorating from the acids that it contains almost immediately. I have books on pulp paper that are only 30 years old and they are in bad condition with brown spots and brittle areas. the acid free paper that many publishers now use lasts longer but eventually it develops acids and deteriorates. Plastic coating, the way most cards are produced, will help stop deterioration by keeping air away from the paper fiber but the best quality is cotton or linen rag paper. That is what is used in the art world for art prints.

The Art edition is also a giclee print, printed on an Epson R2400 printer which uses archival inks designed to last at least 300 years without fading. That is because they are pigment based instead dye based. Dye based ink is what most printing is done with. I have a sheets sent to me from the printer as proofs in which all of the cards from the Buddha Tarot are printed, one for all of the fronts and one for all of the backs. They are rolled up with the one with the backs facing out and leaning on the book self next to the window in my office where it gets direct sunlight. It has been there since 2004 and where the sun hits the red background has faded to a pale yellow and the black lines are only a slightly darker tan. In contrast I have prints that I printed with pigment ink that are framed and have been hanging on the wall under a skylight for 10 years where they get direct sun and there is no change in their colors. Of course most people do not keep their pulp cards on display which protects them from the sun.

Besides the paper and the ink, I give the art edition four coats of clearcoat varnish, which stops ultraviolet light from getting to the surface and extends the life of the colors even longer. Besides this, is protects the surface from wear and moisture. I have taken a sample card that I printed and coated with clearcoat and held it under the faucet and the ink does not run. One should not rub the surface when it is wet because the surface will tear more easily but the coating protects the ink from running which is the one disadvantage of giclee printing. On the earlier copies of the Art Edition I was having them laminated which offers even more protection from wear and moisture. But it was a visibly thicker coating and the clearcoat is less visually intrusive.

fyreflye

Thanks Leisa for the details on the printing process for the Alchemical Art deck. For those who can afford it that deck will still be a desirable and valuable collectors' item. Since I don't imagine many owners of the Art deck would want to use it for readings the Renewed Alchemical, especially in a borderless edition, will be a blessing. Keep us updated!