Got a book, and Joan Bunning's Guide online, looking for more books :D

AJ

I have 21 Ways to read A Tarot Card as well, and I think Tarot 101 is better for beginners because you'll go through the entire deck on one read through, whereas you only focus on one card on the first read through of 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card. (21 Ways is definitely my next workbook, though.)
I'm on lesson three, now, and I really like how the exercises combine intellect with intuition.

I knew there was no way in this lifetime I'd go through 21 ways the way it was set up, so I shuffled and fanned and pulled a card from my deck randomly just like I do for readings, and used a different card for each lesson.

Curious Dragon

I thought I'd do something like that on the second time through 21 Ways, but I think I'd get more of the book if I started with one card.

AkiraOkihu

Well, if in 21 Ways you focus only on one card in a read, how long does it take to complete a full 78 tarot deck? Just a curiosity...

gregory

You know - if you really want to get to know your cards, PLAY with them.

That being so, Lynda Cowles' book is a BRILLIANT way to get painlessly to grips with it all. And it's FUN !

Curious Dragon

Well, if in Tarot 101 you focus only on one card in a read, how long does it take to complete a full 78 tarot deck? Just a curiosity...

It's 21 Ways that focuses on one card per read, and I don't think it would take all that long, since you'd pick out which techniques work best for you after the first go through, but I think Tarot 101 gives you an overview faster. Of course, learning style is a big factor, too. What one person enjoys, another might find tedious.

The_Hydra

Tarot for Life is probably the only book I'd recommend. That and Tarot and Astrology when you want to get a little deeper into the cards. Believe me, as a beginner I bought everything and those two alone were worth the money. I'll give you my "Tarot for Yourself" if you like. Bleh.

Besides that, the whole "learn the basics then throw them out and follow what you're intuition tells you" thing was the most helpful. No book can give you that kind of knowledge, experience is best.

RunningWild

Tarot 101 is really good, in my opinion. There are exercises in it, too, though I've never done any of them. The only caveat is that the author doesn't go through the cards one by one beginning from The Fool through to the King of Pentacles. She groups things and shows how they're similar and different. It is definitely a good book to acquire.

21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card is excellent for really taking a look at the individual cards and bonding with a deck.

I would veer away from Tarot for Your Self until you feel more comfortable using the cards. The exercises are more self-involved and include things like finding your birth and year numbers, a chakra spread, the use of candles ...that sort of thing. It would be a good addition to your library once you're to the point of doing that sort of thing if it interests you.
I think you can view the table of contents on sites like Amazon so that you can determine if that's something you really want at this point.

GGTarot

I have not read any of those books but...

There is also this site called psychic-revelation that has their own card interpretations that you can freely look at and buy as an eBook. They also have many different spreads to try.

The Only Tarot Book You'll Ever Need by Skye Alexander is a great book that really goes into depth on not only interpenetrating the cards but talks about the symbolism and the difference between the major and minor arcane and the different suits meaning.

MysticMoonlight

My absolute favorite Tarot books are Tarot Made Easy by Nancy Garen and Power Tarot by Trish Macgregor and Phyllis Vega. You really can't go wrong on either of them!