Kaballah and the Major Arcana--suggestions?

Grizabella

Can someone recommend a reference book or two on the Majors in relations to the Kaballah? I have a very good book on the Minors (Tarot and the Tree of Life by Isabel Kleigman) but I don't have one on the Majors. I've ordered the book Chicken Caballa by DuQuette, though.

I'm doing a Tree of Life spread in the Exchange and in doing so, learning all I can about this facet of Tarot. Yep---the same Grizabella who declared, even recently, that I don't use the Tree of Life or anything is now moving forward again in my life with Tarot. So sue me. :p lol

I've read a lot here and elsewhere on the internet but I'm a book person. I like to just sit and read a book and see books on my shelf where I can actually hold them and read them, but given my limited space, I have to have quality rather than quantity.

Can anyone help me out? :)

Owl Tarot

I would not only recommend a book about their relation, but also a book about the Tree of Life itself. If you do study the 10 Sephira themselves, and then see the Path each Major Arcana Card represents, you will be able to draw pretty accurate conclusions yourself by examining the nature of the Sephira and how each one affects the Trump. If you want such a book, I would recommend to you "The Mystical Qabalah" by Dion Fortune which is pretty analytical.

Chicken Quabbalah is also a good read to get a better idea of how the Tree itself works and has references to the Tarot as well, as well as a part where DuQuette analyzes the connection of the Hebrew letters to the Trumps themselves.

Grizabella

OK thank you! I'll go put the Dion Fortune book on my wishlist for the next time I can order a book. I appreciate you taking the time to give me the advice. :)

Owl Tarot

OK thank you! I'll go put the Dion Fortune book on my wishlist for the next time I can order a book. I appreciate you taking the time to give me the advice. :)

I will give you an example: The Empress is the 14th Path, the letter Daleth which means a door, and connects Chokmah to Binah. If you know that they both are above the Abyss (the gap dividing the Supernal Triangle from the rest of the Tree), and that Chokmah is the Supernal Father, the archetypal of Male, the head of the left hand Pillar of Mercy, and that Binah is the Supernal Mother, the archetypal of Female, the head of the right hand Pillar of Severity, you will be able to make obvious connections and draw conclusions on why is the Empress pregnant, why is she all about love, why is she so fertile? This is just a small example of how knowing each Sephira aids you in learning more about each Trump.

Zephyros

I would say that if you've got Chicken Qabalah you're set, and it will give you all you need to make a start. It's an amazing book, really. While both Dion Fortune and Robert Wang are also highly recommended, their style is more archaic and formal. Not necessarily more difficult, all three cover roughly the same material, but I liked DuQuette's down to earth examples and modern thinking.

Once you've got the basics down, much of the study is independent, and working out for yourself how the letters and structure relate to each card. DuQuette give you that start, in my opinion. Also, Dion Fortune is slightly racist in a kind of breezy, amusing way, very much a product of her time, but it doesn't affect her teaching style which is still very good. They're all good, really, you just said you were looking for as much as possible in one book.

Good luck, I look forward to debating points with you. :)