Reading with the TdM Majors only

greatdane

I was wondering if most TdM readers read regularly with the full deck, majors only, or equally switching back and forth? I am starting with the deck and am trying to work with all the cards to get used to the unillustrated pips. I was wondering if some who love the TdM's have stuck to majors only?

Bertrand

Hello.

I'm "switching back and forth" as you say, but not precisely equally.
For mundane bar counter readings, a pocket "major only" deck works well (I carry along a poker sized Payen deck and the "Triomphes de Paris" mini sized fac simile), but I also sometimes use "majors" during professional readings but not for the whole reading - I often use a major only deck to get an overview, and the full deck for detailled questions (but that's not a fixed rule and I mostly use a full deck).

If you "switch back and forth" it's better to have a major only deck, in the past I did readings using a standard modern playing tarot pack (with french suits), and used it more often as "major" only (that is trumps or "atouts"), and the trumps were much more stained and visibly used so it made it impossible to use as a full deck, so I would advise you to get a major only deck for that purpose (because it's a pity to drop the numeral and court cards from a full deck).

Bertrand

Kingdubrock

Hi Bertrand,

Where did you get a Payen deck?

DeToX

I read somewhere, maybe it was on Amazon, in the description of an item, that in France, people tend to use only the majors with TdMs and if they want to use a full 78 card deck they favour the Etteilla. Is this actually true in any general sense?

Richard

There seems to be the common opinion that most French tarot readers use only the majors from the Marseille deck.

shaveling

I like switching back and forth. I regularly include the courts and pips in Tirage en Croix readings, even though it's traditionally a trumps-only spread.

I've also heard the Continental TdM readers stick to the Trumps thing. And various things I've seen make it look like that's the usual rule. But there was a post here on AT from someone France (I think) saying all the readers the poster knew use a 78 card deck for readings. Of course I didn't bookmark the post, and have no idea who said it or in what thread.

There are also some spreads that have assigned spaces for the majors and the minors. There's one of those I'm fond of.

momentarylight

I was wondering if most TdM readers read regularly with the full deck, majors only, or equally switching back and forth? I am starting with the deck and am trying to work with all the cards to get used to the unillustrated pips. I was wondering if some who love the TdM's have stuck to majors only?

I use the full deck - trumps and pips. I feel that this gives me a more comprehensive reading and I love looking for things or getting unexpected thoughts from the pips. :)

The shape of the pip symbols, the immediate impressions, colours, plants - what ever is there - it is all important. Numerology as well.

I guess I also have a mindset that the trumps mean fairly major things or people and can't divest myself of it. It is a hangover from early tarot days.

I find the pips rich and revealing most times, however.

Lee

But there was a post here on AT from someone France (I think) saying all the readers the poster knew use a 78 card deck for readings. Of course I didn't bookmark the post, and have no idea who said it or in what thread.
Found it! :)