Academy of Tarot Deck

Kingdubrock

Does anyone own or have they seen the images in this deck?

http://www.tarocchi.net/en/The_Restoration_of_the_Tarot.html

What seems compelling about this "restoration" deck is the attempt to recreate the colour scheme of the Conver deck, complete with the effects of fading and age.
From what little I can see, as they provide so few images (and google images doesnt turn much up either), there is a strange relationship between the lines and the dark green. They kind of appear to "vibrate" as if the dark grey used for the lines has the same or just slightly lighter shade or colour value as the green. It seems distracting at first, but then when you look at old decks the stencilling of colours sometimes hides the lines. So it makes some sense. The jet black of modern restorations and the primary colours gives many new decks a kind of cartoonish or even garish look imnsho (but I've gotten used to it).

Oddly they claim that they arrived at the precise colours through an anonymous individual who uses a psychic process called "radiesthesia".

The thing about these folks that niggles at me though is somewhere they make an allusion to another modern recreation deck that "looks almost identical" but theirs is made so that there is no copyright claims or something like that. Given that it has the "Camoin egg" and it does like the JC deck i have to assume they are referring to that deck.

So I am getting a vibe that there is something not quite on the "up and up" with these folks and was wondering, as I said, if anyone has seen the deck, but also if my vibe is justified in some way.

Lastly can SOMEONE tell me what is up with the egg? Where did Jodorowsky and Camoin find this feature?

conversus

Seems like a Jodo-Camoin knock-off to me. That egg behind the Popess and that little bell thingy in the lap of the pope are just stolen interpretations that Jodo claims he channeled from the spirit guides ...

Kuroga

Interesting.

I'm curious to know ho they used "radiesthesia" to find out the colors. To my knowledge radiesthesia includes practices such as the pendulum and the 'stick' or 'wand' (the ones that people use to find water), and refers in general to divinatory or treasure-hunting practices that use elettromagnetic fields. There might be other applications, or they might have used the color vibrations or something similar, but it looks really complicated to me.

Did not Jodo claim that he got the Popess's egg from some mysterious deck in Mexico?

Peace,

Kuroga.

Kingdubrock

Seems like a Jodo-Camoin knock-off to me. That egg behind the Popess and that little bell thingy in the lap of the pope are just stolen interpretations that Jodo claims he channeled from the spirit guides ...

Does he really actually claim that?
I know his "psychomagic" is highly intuitive and bordering on, if not full-on shamanistic. Personally I find him brilliant and a genuine mystic (on the crazy-wisdom side somewhat). But so far I havent heard of him channelling per se.

Kingdubrock

Interesting.

I'm curious to know ho they used "radiesthesia" to find out the colors. To my knowledge radiesthesia includes practices such as the pendulum and the 'stick' or 'wand' (the ones that people use to find water), and refers in general to divinatory or treasure-hunting practices that use elettromagnetic fields. There might be other applications, or they might have used the color vibrations or something similar, but it looks really complicated to me.

Did not Jodo claim that he got the Popess's egg from some mysterious deck in Mexico?

Peace,

Kuroga.

Thats possible about the Mexican deck. I wasn't sure what features he got from that.
Its interesting that a few decks have started adding the egg now. As it turns out I read on taropedia that Jodorowsky "allegedly" saw it in a Suzanne Bernardin deck. On Yves Reynaud, and Wilfried Houdouin's gallery of historical decks you can actually see a curved shape in the SB deck where the egg is on the JC deck, but its only the bottom half and its submerged in the arm of the chair or pillar or whatever that is. Interesting. Maybe the mexican deck filled out the rest, "confirming" what he might have thought.
http://tarot-de-marseille-millennium.com/galerie_tarots_historiques.html

As for the radiesthesia, the site claims that the individual (who wants to remain anonymous) "attunes" his body's energetic field to that of the colours or something like that.

Kuroga

I really do not have enough information to confirm or disprove this egg thing. My feeling is that if the egg was there, why would people who where drawing the card leave it out? If it originally was of the size that is drawn in Jodorowsky's restoration, it does not look like a small detail to me, although I am not an expert in card restoration.

The radiesthesia thing sounds really weird to me. I have seen radiesthesia working for finding objects, water, and other material things but never for 'restoring' colors. I am really curious to know how this would work.

Thats possible about the Mexican deck. I wasn't sure what features he got from that.
Its interesting that a few decks have started adding the egg now. As it turns out I read on taropedia that Jodorowsky "allegedly" saw it in a Suzanne Bernardin deck. On Yves Reynaud, and Wilfried Houdouin's gallery of historical decks you can actually see a curved shape in the SB deck where the egg is on the JC deck, but its only the bottom half and its submerged in the arm of the chair or pillar or whatever that is. Interesting. Maybe the mexican deck filled out the rest, "confirming" what he might have thought.
http://tarot-de-marseille-millennium.com/galerie_tarots_historiques.html

As for the radiesthesia, the site claims that the individual (who wants to remain anonymous) "attunes" his body's energetic field to that of the colours or something like that.

DeToX

Knock off or not, the colours are much closer to the aged original deck than the JC version.

conversus

Mine arrived today. Smaller than one might have expected, which is not a problem for me. The colors are muted and rather matte. I like the card stock-they shuffle very well. The light blue is closer to that on the Heron reproduction of the Conver--though still a bit teal.

Happy New Year!

CED

Did anyone else order a copy?

Richard

Doesn't it seem likely that Philippe Camoin was involved in the design of the deck (as well as some of the material at the Academy of Tarot site)?

Specifically, for the individuation and restoration of the Tarot's original colors, we had the extraordinary and irreplaceable aid of one of the maximum experts in the field who, for reasons of confidentiality, has asked to remain anonymous. http://www.tarocchi.net/en/The_restored_Colors_123

Here is a curious statement, which is amplified further in its accompanying text:

The Tarot, in the graphic version of the deck of Nicolas Conver of 1760, originated in the first century A.D. and was re-elaborated in the lands of Provence, precisely, by Mary Magdalene and a group of Gnostic Initiates, her disciples. During the following centuries copies of this prototype were guarded and handed down by a monastic order, the Cassianites, founded by the monk Giovanni Cassiano. http://www.tarocchi.net/en/Tarot.htm

This was a theory apparently originated by Camoin:

Based on discoveries by Philippe Camoin, it was the monk Cassian who in 400 CE contributed to the introduction of the wisdom of the Tarot into Europe. This claim, which overturns all previously conceived notions, is based on unassailable facts. http://en.camoin.com/tarot/Tarot-Marseilles-essentials-to-know.html

Finally, at the Academy of Tarot site, there are several references to a 'coded structure' in the Conver, which was another of Camoin's theories.