Tarot de Paris

Gulliver

I would like to know something about this tarot. What do you do with it? The question sounds odd, but I can't express better right now. Is it only for historical reasons that you own such a deck (if you own it)?
Someone told me, it is a very special deck, what would you say is the special? Maybe this is similar a de- or enabling-thread. I would like to hear your opinions, pleeease.

mrpants

Hello again, Gulliver!

For me, this is the thing: I really like the old-style TdMs for reading, but I prefer the cleaned up offerings, or modern variants, e.g., Flornoy's Noblet, or the CBD Marseille. The Tarot de Paris is unique because it's a Vieville variant (right?), which to my knowledge hasn't been recreated as a clean, modern print; just the reprint of the historic copy. Some of these cards are really different from what we recognize these days as a "standard" TdM pattern. And the differences are really cool! So I've been curious about having one, but on the fence because of the quality of the images.

Does that make sense?

Gulliver

Hello again, mrpants! :)

Ok, it's more for study reasons. That makes sense. I'm not sure if the TdP is a Vieville variant, I would rather think it isn't. But I know too less about the history at this point, so I'm not sure.

Thanks for answering!

mrpants

Yes Gulliver, definitely not a Vieville variant. Sorry about the wonky history, there. I guess this anonymous deck is wholly unique, as is the Vieville. Maybe that's partly why it intrigues me.

(I will read with it soon, though!)

DeToX

Yes Gulliver, definitely not a Vieville variant. Sorry about the wonky history, there. I guess this anonymous deck is wholly unique, as is the Vieville. Maybe that's partly why it intrigues me.

(I will read with it soon, though!)

There are cues to some of the Vieville cards in the TdP majors, so I think Vieville certainly took the deck as an inspiration for certain cards.