"Do Your Will" -- What this means

ravenest

... They speak of the freedom of Thelema and its implications, and how, like a god, you are free to carry out your will, but not what it is you should carry out.

Who can say what another's will might be? There are however some questions, whose answers might help define what it is for the individual.

ravenest

Your comments obviously reek of sophistry, but if you insist..... :)

That's a curious statement ... I don't recall C. ever asking for money nor being deceptive ???

Richard

That's a curious statement ... I don't recall C. ever asking for money nor being deceptive ???
There was a bit of tongue-in-cheek infiltrating several of the more recent posts.

Anyhow, to know your Will with absolute certainly, you may need to perform the Abramelin operation successfully. It might help to rent a suitable estate on the shores of Loch Ness, but then again that may not work, and anyhow it's awfully expensive.

treedog

I am getting so much fun out of all this. How can spirituality be so hillarious? And underneath it all, some really good teachings here. I'm laughing, and I'm learning.

I guess when we leave Tipareth and head north we look back and say, "Oh, personal will was some sort of prop, neccessary but fleeting."

But might it also be related to the path of Tau, Administrative Intelligence, where (paraphrasing PFCase) we are active participants in cosmic government charged with full responsibily for the execusion of its laws?

ravenest

I am getting so much fun out of all this. How can spirituality be so hillarious?

It should be ... Crowley wrote somewhere ( Magick Without Tears ? )something about the Pomposity of some spiritual teachers and the best defence against this is a sense of humour, even about one's self and practice.

ravenest

Anyhow, to know your Will with absolute certainly, you may need to perform the Abramelin operation successfully. It might help to rent a suitable estate on the shores of Loch Ness, but then again that may not work, and anyhow it's awfully expensive.

Not really. I know some that never have seemed to find it (I judge that on their feelings about life, not mine), some that hadn't a clue then 'happened' upon it and some that seemed to be aware from birth and done it as naturally as breathing.

None of them did formal magical ritual anything. Some had intense life experience ('real initiation') and some just cruised on through.

Upbringing, environment and timing all probably play a part ... as the Sufi's say; right time, right place, right person.

Richard

Not really. I know some that never have seemed to find it (I judge that on their feelings about life, not mine), some that hadn't a clue then 'happened' upon it and some that seemed to be aware from birth and done it as naturally as breathing.

None of them did formal magical ritual anything. Some had intense life experience ('real initiation') and some just cruised on through.

Upbringing, environment and timing all probably play a part ... as the Sufi's say; right time, right place, right person.
That doesn't contradict what I posted.

Aeon418

Anyhow, to know your Will with absolute certainly, you may need to perform the Abramelin operation successfully.

I assume you mean the attainment of the K&C of HGA and the breakthrough into Briah consciousness. The Abramelin operation is one method, but not the only one. In fact Crowley reduced the operation down to a mere 3 months in Liber VIII. But even that is just an outline. The increasing intensity and frequency of the invocations ('prayer' in Liber VIII) is the key point.

It might help to rent a suitable estate on the shores of Loch Ness, but then again that may not work, and anyhow it's awfully expensive.

It might help. But we do have the record of one who attempted the operation while walking and riding through parts of Asia, and while in his cabin on a steamer. He also persisted despite the death of his daughter and the need for an operation on his throat. Hardly ideal circumstances and a world away from those prescribed by Abramelin. And yet he attained.

The Temple of Solomon the King - part 8.
http://hermetic.com/crowley/equinox/i/viii/eqi08005.html

Always Wondering

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law"

What does this mean to you; how does it play out on a rainy/sunny Wednesday afternoon?

I find Crowley's essay on Duty helpful. http://lib.oto-usa.org/crowley/essays/duty.html Especially part A.

On this sunny and hot Wednesday afternoon, I am learning some new knitting stitches and listening to some very silly vampire fiction. :laugh:

AW