Warning: EBAY SCAM

G6

A few months back I filled out this survey sent by a place I shop at frequently - not uncommon to get one from them either. Fortunately, I did not fill out my full name and a few other details ONLY as it crossed my mind: "They have those details already! And...why would they want my birth date?".

To be on the safe side though I contacted my bank, insurance, phone company, and a few other places like credit agencies in case any criminal activity etc.

I do not usually fill out anything, so from now on will continue that trend.

With Ebay I am sure they send out ALERTS and within EBAY itself as well. I would never respond to an Ebay message via email nor my bank etc. Either it is direct with them on phone (bank) or Ebay itself.

Scammers will try almost anything and phishers etc etc etc.

DND :)

Yes, they will do almost anything and the worst to keep in mind is online job searches! They know people looking for work will not suspect phishing scams, so they ask for birthdate and last four of you SSN as part of the online "job application".

DownUnderNZer

That is really bad. Not good for those genuinely seeking employment either.

In that film "Catch Me If You Can" I'm sure he said with the introduction to "digital" and "cyber technology" that it would bring about the worst kind criminal crime the world would ever know.

So, true.....

DND :)

Yes, they will do almost anything and the worst to keep in mind is online job searches! They know people looking for work will not suspect phishing scams, so they ask for birthdate and last four of you SSN as part of the online "job application".

Maru

If you're tech savvy enough, you can actually read the message headers themselves and see where the message really originated from by finding the client IP, converting to host name or and checking it in a IP->geographical database. Most mail servers share the originating IP (client IP/the person who sent it) in the email. You have to be able to tell the difference between a local host IP though and an internet-based one (and not the mail server itself). Of course this can be masked, but most of the time scam artist's don't bother. Besides, mucking with mail headers too much is a quick way to get the message flagged and have it hit the SPAM trap. Therefore, you may never see the message, it may not even make it to Junk.

How to Read and Analyze the Email Header Fields
https://www.arclab.com/en/kb/email/how-to-read-and-analyze-the-email-header-fields-spf-dkim.html

G6

If you're tech savvy enough, you can actually read the message headers themselves and see where the message really originated from by finding the client IP, converting to host name or and checking it in a IP->geographical database. Most mail servers share the originating IP (client IP/the person who sent it) in the email. You have to be able to tell the difference between a local host IP though and an internet-based one (and not the mail server itself). Of course this can be masked, but most of the time scam artist's don't bother. Besides, mucking with mail headers too much is a quick way to get the message flagged and have it hit the SPAM trap. Therefore, you may never see the message, it may not even make it to Junk.

How to Read and Analyze the Email Header Fields
https://www.arclab.com/en/kb/email/how-to-read-and-analyze-the-email-header-fields-spf-dkim.html

See I did that on gmail, but this is all I got, which wasn't so helpful.

SPF: PASS with IP 66.211.184.73 Learn more
DKIM: PASS with domain ebay.com Learn more
DMARC: PASS Learn more

Holly doll

Thanks for this guys - I'll let family members know - they buy a lot from eBay.

Maru

See I did that on gmail, but this is all I got, which wasn't so helpful.

SPF: PASS with IP 66.211.184.73 Learn more
DKIM: PASS with domain ebay.com Learn more
DMARC: PASS Learn more

You can view full headers, you have to search the option. I forgot how to do it since I usually read via a client now.

G6

You can view full headers, you have to search the option. I forgot how to do it since I usually read via a client now.

This is what showed when I used the gmail original function. Is there more or a better tool?

Thoughtful

Luckily l have not had any Ebay or Amazon scams, but l do get quite a few emails supposedly coming from Paypal. They are filtered into my junk mail box, so that makes me wary. l will only open them to send them straight onto Paypal who deal with them right away.

Starri Knytes

I've gotten second chance offers a few times that were completely legit.

Perhaps the trick is to only open ebay mail that's in your user mailbox on the site itself.

Sorry for your troubles. I hope someone helps you sort it out soon.

G6

I've gotten second chance offers a few times that were completely legit.

Perhaps the trick is to only open ebay mail that's in your user mailbox on the site itself.

Sorry for your troubles. I hope someone helps you sort it out soon.

Thanks, I'll report back when I find out if it's a legit click through scam or if the eBay seller is just clueless or a crook. Either way it has held up my money for several weeks and much hassle messaging/filing claim/etc., so I hope this thread saves others some aggravation.