rules and regulations

headincloud

Does anyone else here that feels the rules and regulations are strangling the flow of natural conversation? I've stopped posting apart from responses because it's such hard work and it feels like people are simply waffling to full fill the rules of feedback and for fear of the mods jumping in. I can see the bonus to strictness but this borders on the ridiculous.

Redfaery

I can't say that I feel that way. I actually think this forum is pretty well moderated. I've been on forums where people would tear each other apart while the mods watched, so I'm actually kind of happy the rules for discussion here are so well defined.

barefootlife

I don't find the moderators stifling. What I do find stifling in terms of conversation is the quality of feedback. I comment to fewer posts than I did when I first joined because I don't find feedback leading to conversation or learning in most cases. People seem to value the answer to their reading over the learning experience, and that's discouraging.

headincloud

Totally hear what you're saying

Flames

I agree with the others, as well, especially the part about feedback and people who seem to be more interested in getting readings instead of trying to understand the meaning of the cards within the context of their question. If there's one thing that bothers me, it's definitely people's lack of adequate feedback to posts. Also, I've contacted the moderators more than a few times when I felt things were getting out of hand or people were being disrespectful. There's a way to communicate without coming off as offensive and while we may not always agree with another, I like knowing that there are moderators around who can tell the difference between free expression and trolling, for example. I was a moderator myself for a little while and I saw the work that went into keeping this place as well and functional as it is. I don't envy the position they're put in often. They do an amazing job here.

mrpants

Does anyone else here that feels the rules and regulations are strangling the flow of natural conversation? I've stopped posting apart from responses because it's such hard work and it feels like people are simply waffling to full fill the rules of feedback and for fear of the mods jumping in. I can see the bonus to strictness but this borders on the ridiculous.

Hi, I'm curious about what you mean. Are you referring to specific forums? What kind of waffling are you referring to? When you say feedback, do you mean for reading exchanges? I'd like to hear more from your perspective.

nisaba

... and it feels like people are simply waffling to full fill the rules of feedback and for fear of the mods jumping in. I can see the bonus to strictness but this borders on the ridiculous.

I say what I want, how I want, when I want. I get moderated occasionally, but not often. A few times a year, maybe, and I write many posts a day.

Farzon

I see this happening only when people think they have to answer every post in their threads. Some do this even in "Talking Tarot"...

But more often I see people giving insufficient feedback to readings they got.

DownUnderNZer

I think the rules and regulations are in place for a reason.

The Moderators cannot check on every thread nor should they have to be following up on ATers left, right, and center for feedback. There is a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes and like anyone else - they have a life outside of AT.

It is a community not a prison system. So, as a community we should be working together where possible. It would probably help them out somewhat as well. And that is why they appreciate being told about issues and what have you within reason. Some Moderators, like most, have their own personalities and thresholds of tolerance so be mindful as they have good and bad days too.

If you are not happy with the "lack of feedback" or "waffling on" - then say so. Even better - at the very start set your boundaries and for clarity give a run down of what you expect and maybe provide an example.

I AGREE some do not learn from the "exchanges" because some stay in there for years without seeming to evolve. However, it would likely die in there if all those ATers were moved on after a certain amount of time. That is the true kicker! However, it does not lessen the fact that proper feedback should be given so that everyone benefits including the "lurkers". :D

DND :)

Tanga

Nope. :)

I think this is one of the best structured forums I've come across and think the moderators do a great job. I personally don't feel stifled by it.
(I have also see horribly unpleasant behaviour where there's no moderation).

I do notice that sometimes others are "painstakingly following the rules" (as Farzon mentions) - which I then find exhausting to read. Lol.
I occasionally get moderated when I've lost the plot and gotten hooked into the drama, or forgotten a rule - and occasionally prod a moderator when I feel someone else may have.
We're all human and make mistakes, or get stuck in our own stories.
(not to mention the Trolling...).

There's definitely a leaning towards newbies just wanting the answer and caring less about the learning experience...(maybe in 'Using Tarot Cards' when I look there) I tend to avoid these areas of just dip in with my penny's worth and then see what comments others have made that I can learn from.

I haven't yet had someone give me insufficient feedback to a reading I've given.