Getting the smell of smoke off a deck?

Tk2dsky

I received a wonderful used deck, and everything is great except that it smells like tobbacco smoke. Anyone have good hints to get the smell of smoke or mask the smell of smoke out of a deck?
B*B
Ericka

Tauriosiris

Lie them out on a table and see if you can air them out?

Milfoil

If that doesn't completely get rid of the pong, you could try putting a few drops of Cedarwood Atlas Organic Essential Oil on a tissue and put the whole lot in a plastic container or sealed bag for a day or so. The cedarwood oil is a natural deoderant (and smells nice too).

BlueLeaf

You might try spreading them in a shoebox and sprinkling baking soda all over them. I love baking soda because it gets smells out of all sorts of stuff. A more "magical" way of deodorizing would be to lay them out in strong sun for a few hours.

At work, I received a bunch of papers from an elderly couple who must have smoked 2 packs each every day for 40 years. I had to wash my hands every time I'd work on their file, so I can understand your frustration with the smell. The only thing worse is cat urine.

Tk2dsky

Thank you for all your suggestions! I am trying a little essential oil on tissue in a plastic container. I'll let you know how it works.

The only thing worse is cat urine.
Yes we are dealing with that one....my cat peed in our car on the way to the pet groomer. It seeped out of his carrier into the seat cushion........ack! it's been 2 years now and nothing that we tried has worked :(.

B*B
Ericka

magpie9

I got a couple of decks in a trade here that were pungent with cigarette smoke. *GASP* I ended up putting them in a plastic bag with lots of some nice powerful incense for about a month, taking them out to shuffle periodically.

I wish I'd thought of baking soda.

Cerulean

Baking soda and rosemary/pine needles...

I've put the cards in a shoebox over a layer of paper towels..., air them on a bench on our porch, with the cover punched with holes..underneath, a layer of rosemary sprigs and pine needles.

It worked after three days in dry, sunny conditions. The porch was shaded and cool. I also weighted the cover down with a rock.

Hope this helps!

Cerulean

HearthCricket

Put in a box with lavender and cedar bars for a week, air out, and then re-scent with your favourite incense. Be sure to also do this to the box, which will hold the cigar smoke smell, as well.

Umbrae

Air them out in a dry place with ventilaton for a long long time.

THEN think about storing with herbs (I like lavendar and/or rosemary).

If you 'mask' the smell to early, the smell will seep out after the aroma's are gone.

full deck

Umbrae's idea sounds good enough baking soda might be safe enough but if you are really impatient, you could always just dribble "Brute" cologne on it and leave it in a coffee can over night.