TAROT - Extra Cards

Freder

Hi, all;

I’ve begun work on an “extra cards pack” for my Zirkus Mägi tarot and thought it would be a good idea to pick the brains of the Tarot community to see what they might like in this area.

From the beginning, my wish was to make the Zirkus a really unique, all-encompassing workhorse tarot, and this is another step, hopefully, in that direction. In part, I’m taking inspiration from the Minchiatte, which includes 12 zodiacal cards as well as extra virtues and vices. I’ll be doing Zircus-y versions of all of those.

In addition, the extra cards pack will feature (because I have had people specifically ask for these) a blank card, a black card, a double-backed card and an array of stand-alone, gender-specific significators (so you can use significators without taking a card out of the deck).

I also have ideas for a handful of circus-themed additional cards that will hopefully add some depth to the deck as a whole. I don’t want to reveal specifically what these are here, because… reasons!! But they will be fun.

So — are there any other Great Ideas out there or specific requests for additional / alternate / extra cards that would be useful to you in readings? Is there anything that you think traditional decks are lacking? If you could expand a basic tarot deck in useful and inventive ways, how would you do it, what would you like to see?

One specific card that I was asked to add, but which I will NOT be adding, is a “The Fortune Teller” card. Baba studios already does that, and I don’t want to copy them. In any case, my Zirkus already has a fortune teller in the form of #2, The High Priestess / Seer. Two fortune tellers on one midway is just asking for trouble!!

Last thing, I want to stress that this project is an ADD-ON. The basic deck will not change in any way. So if you don’t like the concept of additional cards, don’t come crying or bitching to me about it because NO ONE IS FORCING EXTRA CARDS ON YOU.

This is just one of about a half-dozen new projects that I have in the works… and chances are you haven’t seen all of my existing ones. Please come visit me at www.tarotbyducksoup.com … and be sure to let me know here what you would like to see in an **ULTIMATE** Tarot Deck!

Thank you;

Doug Thornsjo
Duck Soup Productions
www.ducksoup.me
www.tarotbyducksoup.com

The Happy Squirrel

What an interesting idea. I am not at a stage where I found extra cards to be useful at all, but thinking of Minchiate, I suppose some people might want planetary cards along with constellation ones? For a layer astrology maybe? Or even the astrological houses?

rachelcat

I always thought it would be great if more decks had female knights and female pages to go along with the male ones, as does the Cary-Yale Visconti.

Then courts would be so much easier to read! (If you read them as actual people.) And you could still read them as parts of yourself, or situations, or whatever, with a little extra gender twist!

Just an idea . . .

earthair

I'd like to see a modern take on the Unicursal Hexigram using juggling fire-batons maybe?

Freder

My knights are all female in the main deck! -- so alternates would have to be male. I'm less inclined to do that, as most circus equestrian acts feature female performers. (Why I did it that way in the first place!)

Thank you!

Freder

earthair -- thank you! Interesting!!

Le Fanu

Yes to Significators!

And I don't normally demand these kind of things but since you're asking, I'd love to have same sex Lovers cards.

I love love love this deck (and your other decks) and any add ons just give it further dimensions of fabulousness.

stellar4

Just wondered Freder, what size of the Zircus Magi these extra cards will fit- the original larger 1st edition or the new smaller Roadshow edition? (Apologies for the mundane question
but I've already got the 1st edition, and if the new cards are for the Roadshow then I might just have the excuse I need to order that one with the tiger backs!!).
Back on track - I read for plenty of same sex couples so extra cards for them would be great.

Le Fanu

Good point Stella! Never thought to ponder this. I asumed it would be for the original edition.

Freder

I should have mentioned it! These will be the same size as the Roadshow version, and will not match the first edition. Alas. I would LOVE to do them for the first edition (just think how great a deck it would be!) -- but the money isn't there. Maybe someday...

The extra significators will help cover same-sex couples, and I have definitely added same-sex LOVERS cards to the list of cards. Thanks for that idea, Le Fanu!

DT