Lo Scarabeo Mystical Tarot (Giuliano Costa)

Virgo26

Mine arrived in the post today! When I first opened them I wasn't as taken by the art initially in person and the cards were slightly thinner than I was used to but I didn't mind once I started using them. They read clearly and I felt a little more connected with my intuition as well so so far so good.

greatdane

I am loving this deck more and more

some of the quirky touches just ADD to how I read RWS now. Like the FOOL with banana peels under his feet, and looking under the cliff edge, there is the outline of a skeleton and what look like vultures, like if he slips, that is his fate.

It's like seeing RWS through a bit of a different filter.

The things that at first can seem a bit strange, have a Dali quality, seem to fit with the suits. The Knight of Cups on what looks like a sea horse, a lot of kind of dragon-type sea creatures in the Cups.

I also love that while this has borders, as it is a long, narrow card, the sides have VERY narrow borders and where there is more room at each end, that is where the border widens, so I don't feel the border is taking away from the size of the image.

Virgo26

some of the quirky touches just ADD to how I read RWS now. Like the FOOL with banana peels under his feet, and looking under the cliff edge, there is the outline of a skeleton and what look like vultures, like if he slips, that is his fate.

It's like seeing RWS through a bit of a different filter.

The things that at first can seem a bit strange, have a Dali quality, seem to fit with the suits. The Knight of Cups on what looks like a sea horse, a lot of kind of dragon-type sea creatures in the Cups.

I also love that while this has borders, as it is a long, narrow card, the sides have VERY narrow borders and where there is more room at each end, that is where the border widens, so I don't feel the border is taking away from the size of the image.

I noticed that bit too with The Fool. I think I missed the banana peel but I liked the birds and stuff underneath.

The court cards are probably one of the stranger elements for me as well. Not so sure about the seahorse with the Knight of Cups but the salamander guy was pretty cool. Maybe it was a shout out to the elementals? Though I can't remember what the others were riding.

greatdane

My thoughts too, Virgo26

Cups - Water - Seahorse or Sea creatures (if you the epaulets on the Two of Cups, they match the backs of the cards!)

Each suit has a recurring theme, not always on every card, but I loved the Knight riding the Sea Horse because it just seemed to go.

The deck flows extremely well for a deck that mixes themes, or genres.

That is rare to me. Mixing RWS with Sola Busca art and that fantasy kind of Dali touch here and there. I think LoS did a really great job.

And I LOVE how it shuffles.

EmpyreanKnight

Prices on Amazon tend to fluctuate. It's unlikely we'll see it for $13 again, but it's definitely possible it'll go back tot he $16 range if you're patient.

Welp, I already bought it so that's about it lol. But thanks for the insight, staticfuzz.

SaturnCeleste

I love the bits of whimsy.

I'm an Air sign and just happen to love the Swords suit (which I see as an air element, I know some see as fire). I love how the Water Bearer, my astro sign, shows up.
Hi Greatdane! I'm a fellow Aquarius also and I love the deck, especially the swords! I totally agree with the Sola Busca influence as well. I've used this deck many times to read clients and it's always been very responsive to me. The deck might not be for everyone but it's 2 thumbs up for this Aquarian! :D

greatdane

SaturnCeleste...

Yep, SWORDS are my suit :). Nice to meet another Aquarian who loves this deck!

I love how it flows, even with, or especially because of, the mixing of art and styles!

I must admit though, it felt "unfinished" til I inked the edges. I love getting a new deck, but as soon as I unwrap it, I have to age those edges, especially for a deck like this one.

I can't stop shuffling it. DEFINITELY a favorite in my small collection.

stclair

I've just spent a couple hours with this, received in the mail today.
The art completely took me down into its world when I saw the images online, and in real life they are even more hypnotic! The fact that they are oils on wood adds to the depth and richness.
The first couple of readings tonight have been playful and bold! There is a terrific, genuine strangeness in this deck that I really like. Love all the weird animals, twisted trees and distant mountains, and the colouring.

Emily

Le Fanu, you are an enabler :)

I hadn't even noticed this deck until I read through this thread and then I ordered it from seeing just one card - The Moon.

The deck came yesterday and I've spent a few hours getting to know it. I love the colouring, dark but very vibrant without being garish. The Lo Scarabeo card stock, on their standard decks, is always very good quality, no sticking together or clumpiness. It is also the standard Lo Scarabeo size so I know I will be able to shuffle it nicely.

I like the quirkiness of some of the figures, very classically posed, nicely drawn faces and the animals are well drawn too. I like this deck alot. :)

greatdane

Can't wait to read other's thoughts

I hope as others get the deck, they post their impressions!