Is there a list of companies that blacklist fortune tellers?

seven stars

I recently had a conversation with someone who was kicked off Shopify because her account was that of a Tarot reader. They don't allow mystics, apparently. Someone else chimed in and said the same was true of Square.

So I was wondering, has anyone compiled a list of companies that don't allow Tarot readers/fortune tellers/mystics? I'd like to know...ahead of time, not AFTER I go through the trouble of getting established with them for whatever reason.

I figured AT'ers would be the ones to ask!

gregory

ebay - as I recall - now says you have to sell something CONCRETE - so you'd have to actually mail a reading on a piece of paper. Not sure about etsy... I'd think you were better off using your own site.

seven stars

Someone else says a company called "Stripe" (Stripe.com) was another who was told that her account was cancelled because fortune telling violated their TOS.

She went on to say that she'd been turned down by banks and insurance companies....I just would really like to have a list of these companies. Apparently, the ACLU in the US has upheld fortune teller's right to free speech according to an article by Mary Greer in 2010 but most companies still have in their TOS that they can cancel you at any time, for any reason or for no reason, and so that supposedly covers them? I kind of doubt that but, it's what they're saying.....

Anyone else?

seven stars

ebay - as I recall - now says you have to sell something CONCRETE - so you'd have to actually mail a reading on a piece of paper. Not sure about etsy... I'd think you were better off using your own site.

I just heard from another that you might be able to do tarot readings on eBay but you can't sell SPELLS. That's weird. I think that qualifies for the list at least under the "not all services" category.

I know there are christian companies like Hobby Lobby that probably frown at it but they don't turn away buyers if they're using the purchases for Tarot purposes...thank goodness....I love their *stuff*....

Grizabella

I just heard from another that you might be able to do tarot readings on eBay but you can't sell SPELLS. That's weird. I think that qualifies for the list at least under the "not all services" category.

I know there are christian companies like Hobby Lobby that probably frown at it but they don't turn away buyers if they're using the purchases for Tarot purposes...thank goodness....I love their *stuff*....

I thought eBay wouldn't allow Tarot readings anymore but then I went there the other day and saw people advertising readings, so I don't know what the deal is there. Maybe they got around the new rule by offering a typed fortune sent to the customer. I didn't really pay that much attention to the posting.

Metafizzypop

Some companies will accept tarot readers and assorted metaphysical types, but don't treat them fairly.

I used to work for a newspaper (seems so old-fashioned today, doesn't it?) selling advertising space. A company who ran advertising with us would be billed after the ad ran, assuming that the company has established credit with us. Almost every type of business could get credit. But not
fortune-tellers. If they read palms or cards, or did astrology, or had a crystal ball anywhere on the premises, they had to pay up front, before the ad ran. No matter how many ads they ran.

Accounting didn't trust them to pay their bills. They viewed spiritual advisors as unreliable. After all, who knew what dimension they might escape to once they got the bill in the mail.

Sometimes a company will let you in, but just find a way to treat you wrong afterwards.

I don't think a list is available for companies that don't let in mystics, or at least I've never heard of it. But it might be a good idea, knowing what you do, to ask beforehand what kind of policies a place has toward tarot people. Before you get set up with an account. Might save a headache later.

closerwalking

Esty seems to allow it, the caveat being that you have to offer a product or product supplies. so most are offering pdf emailed readings, or mp3 recording of the reading , along with the phone or skype readings. One thing I learned during my years of working professionally in healthfield. is to dress like the professionals to be seen and treated that way, Also word my "resume" using some of their language. This could help with Tarot readers too. Dress like the others are in the group you want to join, and use some of their words in describing what you have to offer. If you want to join another organization, you have to show them you are friend, not foe. A beautiful thing that attracts folks to tarot personally, is freedom to be yourself. but when we head out into the larger community, one has to take in to account the mores of the locality one lives in. and realize that our freedom to be ourselves shocks folks. So it might help to
"dress like one of them, talk like one of them, until defenses, ie fear lessen. a different sort of costume. If you dress to draw attention, make sure it is communicating what you want to communicate to the folks there. That they understand your language. There may be learning curve, but first they have to trust you, understand you enough to let their defenses down. think of the key players in the group as a tarot deck. major arcana players, how are they dressing acting and speaking? and then play along with them to gain admission to their inner group.

celticnoodle

doesn't sound very legal to me--but I'm also not very surprised.

Accounting didn't trust them to pay their bills. They viewed spiritual advisors as unreliable. After all, who knew what dimension they might escape to once they got the bill in the mail.
:laugh:

closerwalking

It's helpful to know what others have experienced. but dangerous to assume that it is final say. My experience is that the whole world is shifting. Blacklisting is such an ominous word. To me the vibe feels more like mistrust, cautiousness, in part due to the long history of soothsayers, prophets, etc. Traditionally this group has hung out on the outer edges of society. I think we are moving into new era. shifting as a species. and actually there is more acceptance of Tarot, which has its gifts and challenges. I think there is growing shift in what people want from Tarot. or tarot reader. A good shift. You have to be flexible in how you describe what you do, realize that the bible teaches mistrust, dislike of soothsayers. so be cautious about putting one self out there as fortune teller right now. find different way to describe what you do. heart wisdom way.