Thunder Bay Press Conver Tarot de Marseille - now available in Canada

Shalott

Here, Filipas' page and amazon.com, all agree that the book isn't very good, that it just tries to apply Golden Dawn DMs...so I'm not expecting much there. Wish they were available separately. Aw well. I've got room on my shelf for one more.
:)

Lee

I've been avoiding doing this for years, but finally I broke down and ordered the Heron Conver from Alida. I had sworn to myself that I would never buy another Marseille deck, since I already have so many. But I still hadn't found what I really want -- a photoreproduction of a genuinely old deck which was also aesthetically appealing. I like the Lo Scarabeo Conver, but the day-glo yellows are a bit off-putting. The Thunder Bay colors, judging from the scans Rusty linked to, look rather ordinary. The Heron deck, again judging from scans, has a really nice warm feeling to it due to the attractive reds and yellows. I'm really looking forward to this one.

-- Lee

Shalott

Just wanted to take a moment to rave...deck (and book) arrived today. I'm tickled pink. It isn't SO big as to be impossible for me to work with, I like the colors, the darker reds and blues in particular. It has an antique look without the runny colors and fading and 200 + years of sticky fingerprints :)D)...of course if it's a photoreproduction of a deck that's only 40 years old it wouldn't have that look! My only beef is the borders: they're stark white in contrast to the slightly yellowed card background. And they really only serve to make them bigger...tempted to trim them off but I probably won't.

One small thing, maybe those of you who have the Camoin Bicentenial Conver could enlighten me, does L'Hermite have a smugde on his head?

Overall I'm quite pleased!

Ruby7

Shalott said:
My only beef is the borders: they're stark white in contrast to the slightly yellowed card background. And they really only serve to make them bigger...tempted to trim them off but I probably won't.
!

Hi Shalott, i am thrilled with this deck also :). I have mixed feelings about the border. In one way I like it because the contrast shows the oldness of the deck (that it was copied from), but I do prefer smaller cards usually and without the border it would be a nicer size. I wont be trimming mine because the backs would look awful after trimming.

Ruby7

Shalott

Yeah, that's true too. My main fear is I don't really know what I'm doing so I fear it would weaken the structural integrity of the cards, I'd end up with fraying and stuff. But they aren't THAT bad. Definitely live-with-able!

Rusty Neon

shalott and ruby7 ... If you really value the big white borders, there's an earlier printing of the Thunder Bay Press Conver TdM (earlier than the one that is on sale now in Canada and for which there are scans on the Filipas site) where the cards are flimsier stock and have yet bigger white borders. A bookseller gave me a partial deck - 70 cards - of that earlier printing. (Ruby .. That was the one I showed before the current one became available.)

Shalott

Yes...even bigger borders...LOL;)

Well, see, it would be too close to being perfect (for me) were they not there..can't have that search for perfection be over so soon!

Emily

I like the Thunder Bay Press Conver better than the scans I've seen of the Lo Scarabeo version. Must have missed out on the velvet bag though, my set came with a purple silk-like reading cloth. :)

Kissa

Hi Emily,

yes mine too came with a scarf. I think Filipas made a mistake though the scarf is told to be an easy way of carrying your deck if you wrap it around the cards.

The book had some nice pictures in it. I thought I would give it away immediatly but maybe not after all.

Can't believe I find this set here, in Finland!!! For 12.90€!!!

Kissa

Rusty Neon

Besides Chapters/Indigo bookstores ....

For those in Canada, the Thunder Bay Press Conver TdM is now available on amazon.ca

To find it on the amazon.ca, type:

tarot set Lyle