Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews          Tarot Forum               Free Tarot Readings           Tarot Card Meanings

thoth study or intuition????

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Thoth Tarot





 
ZenMusic  ZenMusic is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 06 Nov 2005
Location: Ohio USA
Posts: 506
ZenMusic 

anyone can use any Tarot for any purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alobar
okay, i guess i'll be the lone dissenting voice here.
not alone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alobar
okay,.... but the value of the Thoth deck is that it is SO deep!..in fact the fascinating thing about this deck is the fact that it's seems absolutely bottomless!
the Thoth is one of the greatest tools for growing Wisdom .."the flash cards of the Mysteries." full of potential
Top   #51
Umbrae's Avatar
Umbrae  Umbrae is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2002
Location: Upper Left-Coast, USA
Posts: 8,847
Umbrae 
Cool


Quote:
Aleister Crowley Quotes

"Do what thou wilt" shall be the whole of the law.

"The fact is that the vast majority of people are absolutely impervious to facts. Test the average man by asking him to listen to a simple sentence which contains one word with associations to excite his prejudices, fears or passions -- he will fail to understand what you have said and reply by expressing his emotional reaction to the critical word. It was long before I understood this fact of psychology. Even to this day, it surprises me that there should be minds which are unable to accept any impression equably and critically. I have heard many great orators. The effect has nearly always been to make me wonder how they have the nerve to put forward such flimsy falsehoods”:

“Intolerance is evidence of impotence.”
Participation deleted
Top   #52
frelkins's Avatar
frelkins  frelkins is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 19 Mar 2007
Location: USA & Denmark; notfortunesfool.com
Posts: 1,987
frelkins 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrae
Now I am not condoning the use of any controlled or psychoactive substances. That said, if you’ve ever used lysergic acid diethylamide and the Crowley/Harris Thoth at the same time…oh boy howdy…
I sense a story waiting in the wings here, Umbrae. Do tell. . .
Top   #53
ZenMusic  ZenMusic is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 06 Nov 2005
Location: Ohio USA
Posts: 506
ZenMusic 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrae
..it seems that there are two schools of thought in the Tarot world.

A) Study study study read everything that everybody has written about it.

B) Study the deck itself, and allow ones own curiosity and thirst for knowledge to lead them to the knowledge sources – which may differ from the ‘experts’.
no.. i don't see it as 2 choices.. I think we're mostly sharing our experience and do agree.... use it as you want.. study or don't study
or use the tarot deck to prop open a window...

Quote:
anyone can use any Tarot for any purpose
Top   #54
Umbrae's Avatar
Umbrae  Umbrae is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2002
Location: Upper Left-Coast, USA
Posts: 8,847
Umbrae 
Cool Story Time


Quote:
Aleister Crowley Quotes

"Do what thou wilt" shall be the whole of the law.

"The fact is that the vast majority of people are absolutely impervious to facts. Test the average man by asking him to listen to a simple sentence which contains one word with associations to excite his prejudices, fears or passions -- he will fail to understand what you have said and reply by expressing his emotional reaction to the critical word. It was long before I understood this fact of psychology. Even to this day, it surprises me that there should be minds which are unable to accept any impression equably and critically. I have heard many great orators. The effect has nearly always been to make me wonder how they have the nerve to put forward such flimsy falsehoods”:

“Intolerance is evidence of impotence.”
Participation deleted
Top   #55
Scion's Avatar
Scion  Scion is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 03 Nov 2004
Location: New York City, US
Posts: 6,612
Scion 

Good story, Umbrae.

But I disagree about your categories. I think there are two perspectives on AT (and in the world) that aren't clear at all. 1 group that believes that experience can be broken down into carefully delineated schools that follow consistent patterns of behavior and uses inexact language to prove the case with certainty... and 1 group that believes that boundaries are subjective, distinctions meaningless, and that definitions are at best misleading.

Either way, the real secrets cannot be communicated.
Top   #56
Aeon418's Avatar
Aeon418  Aeon418 is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 30 Sep 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,342
Aeon418 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrae
I think there are two schools that don't agree...one says "Study" the other says "Live it". And it's pretty obvious on these boards who is of what school and who is of the other.
I don't agree at all. The two schools you mention are only partial and incomplete approaches. Idealy they need to be combined and balanced into one school. (Think Hod and Netzach on ToL)

Study without intuitive insight is just dry book learning. It leads nowhere on it's own.
Intuition without a guiding framework is little more than hunches and guess work couched in the private language of your own psyche. That's fine for most people. But you can't fully communicate your insights to others who don't speak the language of your psyche. So obviously we need a common language, which leads us back to the study of the symbols in the Thoth deck.

Learn the language of the Thoth and then let intuition speak through the language of the Thoth. Afterwards we may still be trading in hieroglyphs, but at least we agree on the meaning of those hieroglyphs. That's the key.
http://www.hermetic.com/crowley/mwt/mwt_03.html
Top   #57
Alta's Avatar
Alta  Alta is offline
Golden Silvery Dionna
 
Join Date: 06 Aug 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 27,056
Alta 

Pure intuition needs language to express itself. Having looked at dreams and other intuitive insights over the years, through meditation and the like, I think and feel that intuition is often rather bereft of language.

Study of a deck, of a system, as long as that study does not become the end in itself, enriches the ability of intuition to communicate its insights.

Thus, I agree with Aeon418. Pure intuition has no proper grounding nor vocabulary, pure study is dry and eventually tasteless and divorced from the blood and guts of the world.

Marion
Top   #58
franniee's Avatar
franniee  franniee is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 24 Feb 2007
Location: new york, USA
Posts: 14,990
franniee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion
Pure intuition needs language to express itself. Having looked at dreams and other intuitive insights over the years, through meditation and the like, I think and feel that intuition is often rather bereft of language.

Study of a deck, of a system, as long as that study does not become the end in itself, enriches the ability of intuition to communicate its insights.

Thus, I agree with Aeon418. Pure intuition has no proper grounding nor vocabulary, pure study is dry and eventually tasteless and divorced from the blood and guts of the world.

Marion

Excellent Marion!! and so perfect for what I have been dealing with lately. My intuition/empathic abilities have been in overdrive but I am having such difficulty articulating what I am feeling. I can't put any of it into words.

A recent example - I met with my daughter's pre K teacher and I wanted to feel what was up (nothing is wrong but I am just testing my abilities) - not put my preconceived anythings on anything. So I tried very hard to be open to the flow and truly listen and feel. I have no idea how to articulate what I felt. It has me perplexed. I have been trying to listen to my inner guide lately instead of what I have done all my life put that thought aside and give the benefit of the doubt..... very hard thing to do.

As for the Thoth - I have been debating this as well. I have it and I have the Duquette book and have not made the time to study it as of yet and I just recently got 2 Marseilles decks and need to study them as well. I am a dive in and figure it out on the fly kind of girl but I know a little study is necessary with these. I need a little foundation before I leap!

Laugh and be well,
f
Top   #59
Umbrae's Avatar
Umbrae  Umbrae is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2002
Location: Upper Left-Coast, USA
Posts: 8,847
Umbrae 
Cool


Quote:
Aleister Crowley Quotes

"Do what thou wilt" shall be the whole of the law.

"The fact is that the vast majority of people are absolutely impervious to facts. Test the average man by asking him to listen to a simple sentence which contains one word with associations to excite his prejudices, fears or passions -- he will fail to understand what you have said and reply by expressing his emotional reaction to the critical word. It was long before I understood this fact of psychology. Even to this day, it surprises me that there should be minds which are unable to accept any impression equably and critically. I have heard many great orators. The effect has nearly always been to make me wonder how they have the nerve to put forward such flimsy falsehoods”:

“Intolerance is evidence of impotence.”
Participation deleted
Top   #60

 




 


More in the Aeclectic Tarot Forum
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Elsewhere on Aeclectic Tarot
· Tarot Cards & Reviews
· Free Tarot Readings
· What's New
· Tarot Card Meanings

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2020 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.