Ordering the Deck Between Readings?

Bings

When I first started reading tarot I had read somewhere that I should put them back in order when finished doing readings. This was supposed to cleanse the cards and make them fresh (not sure if that is the word I want) for the next time I used them. So I would do 4 or 5 readings for friends and then spend a few minutes (that is all it took with practice) to put them back in order. After spending time here I have come to realize that nothing is writen in stone. Now when I'm done I shuffle shuffle shuffle and then leave the cards as they are.

I will reorder them once in a while for study purposes. But now before I put them away I shuffle shuffle shuffle.

Dianne

Vita-morte

I did put the deck in order for a few weeks after I got it in attempts to learn the meanings, going through the deck several times and trying to recall what I'd read and add how I felt about each card. I agree with mrsjvan about erasing the history of the deck...perhaps for the NEXT reading they must be in the disorder left by readings past. I do, however pick up the cards I laid in order and put them back in the deck in the center or near it.

WARNING NOVICE OPINION! :D

magpie9

I don't put them back in original order except for study, they feel too stiff that way. I usually do shuffle the old reading out and turn all cards upright between sessions with them.

Sometimes I'll leave a reading intact at the front or end of the deck, if I think I'll want to look at it some more before I'm really finished with it.

I figure it's kind of a partnership beween me and my deck, the way we do it is the right way for us to do it.

Rep

Vita-morte said:
I did put the deck in order for a few weeks after I got it in attempts to learn the meanings, going through the deck several times and trying to recall what I'd read and add how I felt about each card. I agree with mrsjvan about erasing the history of the deck...perhaps for the NEXT reading they must be in the disorder left by readings past. I do, however pick up the cards I laid in order and put them back in the deck in the center or near it.

WARNING NOVICE OPINION! :D

I put cards from the reading back into the center of the deck also so they can get back into the flow of cards as I shuffle them...

SweetestDreamer

Hi All

I have a question regarding this, I have read it's best to put the card back into their upright positions at the end of each reading. What are your thoughts on this? At the moment I think I have around 50% of my deck upright and the other 50% reversed...

Thanks
Mandy
xx

Genna

I only order my deck when clensing it.
I rarely put the cards back in upright position with Faeries´oracle and Revelations´Tarot;the decks I started reading reversed with,but I do it with my other decks where I only reverse a few cards before reading.
Very new at reading with reversed cards(except with The Faeries´Oracle).

WalesWoman

My decks haven't been reordered since ... my kids looked at them. I don't reorder the cards unless I am doing a study or just get a wild hair, nor turn everything back upright after every reading... but that being said, I usually turn the reversed cards from the spread back to upright before putting them back with the rest of the deck. Somehow cards will get put back in the box or bag... upside down. So many times before I shuffle I look at the deck and if it seems like there are clumps or a predominance of reversals, will turn them back to all uprights.

I like reading with uprights most of the time anyway. I can never decide how many cards to reverse... so figure the way I shuffle sometimes... some will spin into reverse and go with that.

tarobones

for study only

I have only put a deck in order if I am using it for study and want to quickly find a card or cards. Otherwise, I have never ordered them and see no need to. BB, Michael

VGimlet

I only put my cards in order and upright if I buy a deck and they are out of sequence; I get a feel for the deck and make sure all the cards are there.

If I play solitaire and win they end up in order as well. :D

raeanne

Hi all,
I guess I re-order the cards more than most people. The deck that I am actively using may not get re-ordered but all the decks that are on the bookshelf are in order. It's a good way for me to make sure I haven't lost any cards. For those of you who don't re-order, how do you know you aren't missing a card? Do you count the cards before or after a reading? Do you just assume that they are all there?