"Defacing" Decks

rwcarter

Lokismile said:
I use the Luciferian as well. I've grown accustomed to the errors, intentional or otherwise. Did you simply mark over them, paint over them, etc? Do you find the alterations distracting (i.e., do you regret doing it)?
I've actually not made any changes to the Luciferian. But then I've yet to use the deck either. (So many decks, so little time....)

Rodney

Morwenna

Only thing I ever did to a deck was put little dots on one end of the Grimaud Marseilles minors for being able to read reversals. I used metallic nail polish, a different color for each suit. Just to be completist, I put a dot on every card, whether it could be read easily reversed or not, and come to think about it I did the majors too, just because.

BodhiSeed

sapienza said:
Hi. For those interested, I have now scanned some cards from my 'defaced' Robin Wood deck. Actually scanning them made me feel slightly nuts to think how much effort I'd gone to for what may seem like pretty small changes.... but it did really change the feel of the deck for me.
Wow, I don't know how I missed these scans... I really like the brunettes so much better. And now the gal's curlies on the Judgment card matches her hair.:D

About the only defacing I've done has been cutting off lots of borders, but after reading a thread where some folks used the rub and buff stuff on the edges, I think I'd like to try some metallic black on my Quantum 2.0 I got during the holidays.

Cassandra022

lol if trimming counts as defacing, its easier to ask which of my decks HAVEN'T I defaced?

Other than that though, and gilting, havent done anything to em. Reading over this thread has been fascinating, though :0

daphne

sapienza said:
Hi. For those interested, I have now scanned some cards from my 'defaced' Robin Wood deck. Actually scanning them made me feel slightly nuts to think how much effort I'd gone to for what may seem like pretty small changes.... but it did really change the feel of the deck for me.

The first and second images are majors where I've changed hair colour, the third is majors without changes, except for the Hierophant, I tried to make him look a little less grumpy! The fourth is Courts where I've changed hair colour and the last is minors with hair changed. I had to scan at a fairly low resolution but it should give the general idea. I LOVE the way the borders turned out, irrespective of the hair colouring. I just love black borders and think it makes the colours so much brighter.

I used a fine brown permanent marker for the hair. The borders were quite tricky. I used a black permanent marker. But if you just use a ruler and a marker then the ink will bleed under the ruler (see my ten of cups- bottom right corner as an example). I worked out that if you use a ruler and a fine marker and draw a line along each side of the image, then let it dry, and then when you use a ruler as a guide with a fat permanent marker to 'colour in' the border it won't bleed. Still need to be very careful when lifting up the ruler. Oh, and the majors were extra tricky because of the title banners. At first the borders were a really shiny black and it didn't look so great, but with some use the shine has worn off and they are much better. The ink did bleed slightly onto the backs of the cards but overall it has worked well and became a useable deck for me compared to an irritating one that I never used. I'm sure some people will think I'm crazy (probably with good reason :)) but it worked for me, even though I don't use it now at all.

Oh, my copy was also an older copy so the card stock was far less glossy than the new editions, which probably helped a lot.

BLACK borders look GREAT!!!!!

gypsiejones71

I drew underwear on the men in the Cosmic Tribe tarot with a fine nibbed permanent black marker... and now I can use them! Not being a prude and not offended by the human body.. it's just that all those protruding parts were not conducive to my reading.

nisaba

gypsiejones71 said:
I drew underwear on the men in the Cosmic Tribe tarot with a fine nibbed permanent black marker... and now I can use them! Not being a prude and not offended by the human body.. it's just that all those protruding parts were not conducive to my reading.
<thoughtfully> I should do the same to the Elemental Tarot (hello, Gregory). I'm not offended by the multiple boy-bits - I'm offended by just how badly they're drawn! <laughter>

Carla

Sapienza, I never even noticed that everyone was blonde in the Robin Wood, but I must say your brown-haired people look nice. In nearly every case, it makes the card look better. (I like the way you evened out the family.) The Queen of Wands and the Judgement card look awesome with brown hair!

nisaba

What the hell - give a couple of them brown skin as well. <urge urge>

Lokismile

rwcarter said:
I've actually not made any changes to the Luciferian. But then I've yet to use the deck either. (So many decks, so little time....)

Rodney

Let us know when and if you do RW. Keep in mind there are errors of print in the accompanying book as well.

Powerful and accurate deck regardless. give it a go sometime.