found a Grimaud Marseilles

velvetina

I wish that I could scan and post images!

Today I found a Grimaud Marseille Tarot in a local antique shop. I obviously bought it; it had its own wooden box and 2 booklets of instruction.

Most of the cards (not the pips, nor certain Major Arcana) are marked 'B.P. Grimaud', but not with the 1963 date, as my other Grimaud has.

The backs are different too, not so geometrical, but a blue & white pattern with ovals.

The Magician has a green hat, and red balls on the table rather than dice.

The titles are in French.

There is no date or author on either of the accompanying booklets.

However it seems very new! It's a bit smelly (damp, old book smell), but the deck itself is immaculate & seems brand new compared to the booklets.

How can I find out more about it? I'd love to know if its older than me (I was born in 1963) ...although I doubt it!

Sumada

I wsh you could scan some cards too! Sounds like you've found a rare one - possibly 1930s! Does the 4 of coins have 3 Fleur-de-lis on a shield, or a stylized tulip?

velvetina

It's a stylised tulip, in red and blue with a yellow background.

Is that a useful indicator?

velvetina

It's like the 02, but the backs are different.

velvetina

I've just read thru' those fascinating posts and you - YOU! - scanned the same back in your post #149!

and mine was also in a home-made box :) albeit without a lining, just polished wood.

How interesting this all is! Thank you ever so much for your help :)

Sumada

Ok, now it sounds like a newer deck having the tulip and that particular back. So lets go back to your Le Bateleur - are you sure there are no dice on the table? Do all the card backs match?

velvetina

Upon closer examination, there are dice!

All the backs are consistant ....another difference is that the card stock is more flexible than my other Grimaud, & can be rifle-shuffled!