Etteilla and LS Book of Thoth. Help!

Le Fanu

Bernice said:
Oh! Gregory you're an angel :angel: !
Indeed... Now I too can think about reading them too...

Cerulean

Gregory's keywords are a blessing

Thanks!

In comparison, will be posting the keywords and meanings listed in the circa 1850 Julia Orsini book that came with the Etteilla II Lismon (1880-1890).

You may find similarities in certain words and from there, meanings/descriptions might be helpful

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=122670

By the way, in typing/transcribing/translating, I notice there were some subtle language that I had missed initially in the French text for this card in the Julia Orsini circa 1850 booklet. For instance, in Card 9, King Solomon is clearly named and as a Biblical reference for the card, it's in as early as the text for the Etteilla II. I believe there is a card also named "Mopses" and the attribution is noted --- I believe-- in Dummett and Decker. Whether that is a Freemasony meaning/attribution--I've not looked it up yet. So it seems I can easily have missed the meanings, not reading the Julia Orsini in French booklet closely until now when doing this project.

Best regards,

Cerulean

Golden Moon

I'm glad this thread was started :) I, myself, have a book titled "El Supremo Arte de Echar Las Cartas" (The suprem art of reading the cards) by Dr. Moorne. Unfortunatlly, this book is in Spanish(as you can see by the title that it has ;) and is only available in Mexico & Spain (and other latin american countries). The book is made for a particular Mexican version of the French Tarot Cards Grand Jeu de l'Oracle des Dames.The Mexican version is called Tarot Egipcios (Egyptian Tarot)

http://www.tarotgarden.com/database/images/e-decks/egipciosmexicancards.gif

The book gives explination about the cards and also combinations when combine and associated with other cards. Apart from being writen for the Tarot Egipcios (Egyptian Tarot), It also inclueds 5 pages of the origin of tarot cards, how to envoc how to use Poker Cards, as well as the Baraja Española. It also gives cartomancy spreads, talks about the origin of Poker Cards and Spanish Playing Cards and also briefly about Mlle. LeNormand. It s a book worth getting for an Spanish speaker. but I would love to see an English version of this book :(.

Bernice

"......but I would love to see an English version of this book."

So would we Golden Moon! (I wonder if the publishers realise that an english version of the book would sell......?).

Thank you for that information :)

Bee.

Golden Moon

Bernice said:

... (I wonder if the publishers realise that an english version of the book would sell......?).

Thank you for that information :)

Bee.

I'm sure it would, It's something like a hybird of Tarot & Orace cards. Something new.

Le Fanu

By the way... I sat down with my Book of Thoth LoS Etteilla deck last night and the LWB for Dame Fortune's Wheel and the meanings they give - upright and reversed - match up with what is written on the Etteilla cards in French. And they are slightly elaborated too. I found it quite a surprising resource! It's much better for understanding the cards than the LWB that comes with the actual Book of Thoth deck!

Bernice

Oh my! I never thought to do that, and I also have both decks. Thanks Le Fanu :)

Bee.

Le Fanu

Bernice said:
Oh my! I never thought to do that, and I also have both decks. Thanks Le Fanu :)

Bee.
I tried on the off-chance, thinking "well if Dame Fortune's Wheel really is based on Etteilla, let's see it put its money where its mouth is!"

It doesn't really work with the Majors because DFWheel uses Marseilles images, i.e there is no Chaos or Birds. I use that vilarek(?) site for the Majors and DFWheel LWB for all the minors and courts cards.

My French is weak, though I do speak another latin language fluently so I can piece things together and I thought the meanings for the Minors were good. The first word is always the same word which is on the Etteilla card (upright and reversed) plus there are other, additional words to give a wider sense.

Bernice

I've got my pdf (translations from gregory) and the Dame Fortunes Wheel out ready for later on, and in the quiet wee hours, I'll compare. Then I'll have a more detailed handle on the minors........YAY!

Cheers Le Fanu.

Bee :)

Cerulean

An additiomal note

The circa 1900 to 1910 Grimaud Etteilla link and the booklet samples match my old Grimaud Etteilla, but the beautiful illustrations and the manual that I have from the House of Grimaud varies with each edition.

I have a two likely 1900 to 1910 Grimauds...one has box and book, one just has cards.
My booklet matches the scans in the above link.

There is an undated Editions Duserre reroduction and I have been to overwhelmed with variations of booklets to tell you where it came from even if it says Book od Thoth.

I have a Grimaud deck circa 1970s and box and booklet differ from 1910. Everything on the cards was bleached or enhanced. The text is different, still interesting.

I have a France Cartes circa 2000 wiith coloring differences anda pretty irritating summary of meanings that....well, if you looked at Papus Divinatory Tarot translated, the Lismon Etteilla Julia Orsini booklet, and Editions Dusserre booklet that came with theirJ eu des Dames-there is much missing in my opinion in what Frances Cartes summarized.