Recommend a great historical book

MagsStardustBlack

What book do you recommend for a really in depth comprehensive tarot history book written by an author who had done his/her research and is well referenced, sort of like a tarot history text book. But that is interesting to read.

However it doesn't have to be on the entire tarot history, it can be, or on an aspect of the history, I'm looking for a really good interesting read please. Basically recommend the best tarot book you have read.

Thank you Magsxx

SarahJoy

My pick would be The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination, by Robert M. Place

swedishfish612

My pick would be The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination, by Robert M. Place

I just got this one from the library today! It does indeed look interesting. I almost want to abandon what I'm currently reading, even though I'm enjoying it, to dive into this one. Just from flipping through, I think I might need my own copy.

3ill.yazi

Mystical Origins of the Tarot, Huson.
Wicked Pack of Cards
Reading the Marseilles Tarot, JM David

Grizabella

Tarot Wisdom by Rachel Pollack is very interesting and has lots of historical information, is enjoyable to read, and I recommend it for anyone no matter what stage of their Tarot experience they're in from beginner to experienced.

MagsStardustBlack

Hey SarahJoy thanks very much, I'l look into it :)

Mystical Origins of the Tarot, Huson.
Wicked Pack of Cards
Reading the Marseilles Tarot, JM David
Okay, thank you, Il have a wee look. I'm not sure about Marseilles though, I don't own a deck with that system, it will totally confuse me :)
Tarot Wisdom by Rachel Pollack is very interesting and has lots of historical information, is enjoyable to read, and I recommend it for anyone no matter what stage of their Tarot experience they're in from beginner to experienced.
Thank you Grizzabella. Sounds good, sounds like what I'm looking for. Something interesting, a good read and I'll learn something too :)

3ill.yazi

Okay, thank you, Il have a wee look. I'm not sure about Marseilles though, I don't own a deck with that system, it will totally confuse me :)
:)

I don't think it will, and if you are interested in the history, I think understanding the origins and content of the oldest images is essential. Not so much esoteric equivalences, but things like, what would the image of the hanged man mean to a sixteenth century card player?

MagsStardustBlack

I don't think it will, and if you are interested in the history, I think understanding the origins and content of the oldest images is essential. Not so much esoteric equivalences, but things like, what would the image of the hanged man mean to a sixteenth century card player?
Okay, I take your point, just my own inexperience with Marseille makes me feel like I would be out of my depth, but I think yes I'l give it a go, I'l never learn if I don't venture out of my comfort zone.. Thank you đź’“

Le Fanu

Best of the Bunch;

Paul Huson; Mystical Origins of the Tarot
Wicked Pack of Cards
The Origins of the Occult Tarot

(last two, both by Decker, Depaulis & Dummett)

I haven't found any to better them. I love Decker, DePaulis & Dummetts' practical stance, unswayed by all the tempting hypothetical hearsay stuff that so many other authors really want to believe.

I'm really enjoying The new Holistic Tarot book - it is a towering achievement. Historical, yes (very) but with lots of other "reader" stuff too. Definitely recommended. I'm in the middle of reading it!

Cocobird55

That's my favorite too. Lots of information, and very readable.