Anyone Else Just Starting?

Quotidianlight

I'm wondering if anyone else is just starting to study this deck. Even the study threads are over my head so I'm wondering if anyone else is just beginning. I found an annotated copy of the Hermetica today. I hope it will help the book of Thoth make more sense sense. I think I am missing context and basic mythology. I'm also curious what other newbies are doing and how long it took advanced users to feel like they had a basic grasp on the vocabulary so that the books made more sense.

Abrac

Reading a few of the Crowley bios really jump-started my understanding of what he was all about. When I first started studying Crowley and his tarot, I didn't have one clue as to what he was talking about or why. Reading his biography gave me some direction.

Everybody's different. I think your progress will depend on how much time you have to devote to it, how dedicated you are, and how quickly you can process abstract occult concepts. It's taken me a very long time because I haven't devoted myself entirely to Crowley. I've studied him along with many others; and even that's been on and off, depending on what else I've got going on. :)

PrincessPaulina

I recently embarked on my love affair with the Thoth deck -- and am constantly amazed by what a deep and multi-layered tool it is!

A basic knowledge of Astrology, combined with my understanding of Elemental Dignities & Numerology, have proven more than enough for me to get by on!

Also, having 1st worked with the TdM was useful, because it gave me a grasp on using non-scenic pips, and made me rely on using my intuition more than I had with RWS -- both useful with Thoth!

I haven't really felt the need, or desire, to delve into studies of Hermetica / Golden Dawn.
I am also conflicted regarding the need to immerse myself in Crowley's long-winded and pompous writings (though there are obviously interesting ideas & concepts there, I am more than willing to get them broken down by modern scholars, such as Lon Milo Duquette).

This is not to say that I won't eventually be drawn to learning more about the GD, and maybe reading a biography of Crowley -- I just don't see this background study as essential for my working with, or loving, the Thoth deck!
In the end, a Tarot deck is still a divinatory tool for the Intuition -- sure, knowledge of the symbolism, systems, & the deck creator's background each add layers of understanding; but I truly believe that as an intuitive Reader one can pick up info from any deck, even the Thoth, without prior study.

Quotidianlight

Reading a few of the Crowley bios really jump-started my understanding of what he was all about. When I first started studying Crowley and his tarot, I didn't have one clue as to what he was talking about or why. Reading his biography gave me some direction.

Everybody's different. I think your progress will depend on how much time you have to devote to it, how dedicated you are, and how quickly you can process abstract occult concepts. It's taken me a very long time because I haven't devoted myself entirely to Crowley. I've studied him along with many others; and even that's been on and off, depending on what else I've got going on. :)

i first encountered Crowley a couple decades ago but my reading wasn't in any depth and I find myself really wanting to read for understanding rather than feel or experience. Before, my eyes would just jump over the rambling or words I didn't understand but now... i feel like I'm trying to translate German lol. I have the time to put in and the interest, I guess I'm worried I'm just not smart enough. I've never read his biography before, is it interesting and narrative? I always assumed it would be a couple hundred pages of "look how messed up, awesome and better than you I am." Actually... that doesn't sound so bad lmao

Quotidianlight

I recently embarked on my love affair with the Thoth deck -- and am constantly amazed by what a deep and multi-layered tool it is!

A basic knowledge of Astrology, combined with my understanding of Elemental Dignities & Numerology, have proven more than enough for me to get by on!
Do you have any book recommendations for learning basic Astrology, Numerology and the Elemental Dignities? I understand the Astrology used is different from the Astrology I can find books on at Barnes and Nobles.

PrincessPaulina

Do you have any book recommendations for learning basic Astrology, Numerology and the Elemental Dignities? I understand the Astrology used is different from the Astrology I can find books on at Barnes and Nobles.

Elemental Dignities are fairly uncomplicated, in my opinion, once you get the basic gist; I really like this resource:

http://taroteon.com/elemental-dignities/an-introduction-to-the-elemental-dignities-compendium/

Numerology is a bit more "personal", I think, because people count numbers in different ways; though a string of numbers will always reduce to the same single-digit number, but how one got there can be different.
(This is really more relevant when you start looking at dates/birthdays/year numbers, than with Tarot spreads).

Also, there can be variations on the meanings for the numbers; the basic numbers are 1-9, but if I'm looking at them from simply a numerological perspective the interpretation can be slightly different than what I see when I relate the numbers to the Tarot Majors (for example), or the Kabbalah.

You can get a basic impression of the "Tarot vibe" for numbers 1-9 here on this forum:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/learn/meanings/

Astrology, is quite complex, of course and can take a lifetime of study.
But actually, the Astrology used in the Thoth deck is pretty much the same as what you would find in Astrology books that don't deal directly with the Tarot!

I would start by simply memorizing the:
- Meanings and order for the 12 Signs of the Zodiac
- Planet(s) associated with each Sign
- Meanings for the 12 Houses (not absolutely necessarily for basic understanding of the Thoth deck, but still useful!)
What's great about the Astrological connection to Thoth, is that the associations are right there on the card, as part of the image -- like a Cheat Sheet :)
Take the 7 Swords, for example: at the very top of the image is the symbol for the Moon, with the Aquarius symbol at the very bottom (Moon in Aquarius).
Analyzing the implications of this placement can convey quite a bit of info to someone who is familiar with Astrology.

There's a book that breaks down astrology fairly concisely, in relation to the Tarot, which is nice to have on hand as a reference when you're 1st starting out (http://tinyurl.com/Tarot-Astrology); but in all honesty all the info in the book is also available on the Web.

Another good way to start getting a grasp on Astrology is to look up your chart -- there are plenty of free Natal Chart generators -- and just start going through which Planets are in which Sign/House, learning as you go along.

As you can see, there's still a fair amount to learn about the various systems employed in Thoth, even if you don't go the Crowley/Golden Dawn route.
But I think each of these systems (Astrology, Numerology, Elements) is very useful on its own, or in other Tarot applications -- whereas with the Golden Dawn stuff, I'm not so sure whether it would ever come in handy outside of understanding the Thoth deck.

Richard

......But I think each of these systems (Astrology, Numerology, Elements) is very useful on its own, or in other Tarot applications -- whereas with the Golden Dawn stuff, I'm not so sure whether it would ever come in handy outside of understanding the Thoth deck.

To name a few decks besides the Thoth for which the GD "stuff" would come in handy:

Golden Dawn Tarot
Golden Dawn Magical Tarot
Initiatory Tarot of the Golden Dawn
Golden Dawn Temple Tarot
Hermetic Tarot
Liber T: Tarot of Stars Eternal
Magickal Tarot
Tarot of Ceremonial Magick

Zephyros

To name a few:

Golden Dawn Tarot
Golden Dawn Magical Tarot
Initiatory Tarot of the Golden Dawn
Golden Dawn Temple Tarot
Hermetic Tarot
Liber T: Tarot of Stars Eternal
Magickal Tarot
Tarot of Ceremonial Magick

You left out the RWS. :) When you study the RWS, you end up with mainly knowledge of the RWS. When you study the Thoth, that study doesn't go to waste, and reflects on all Golden Dawn decks, and allows you to see their inner workings, the clockworks that power them.

Abrac

I wouldn't recommend Crowley's Confessions to start with. It's an autobiography of his early career. I found it to be a lot of drivel, but there might be something of interest here and there. Diary of a Drug Fiend is also probably autobiographical, though it's written as fiction. Any of the biographies (not autobiographies) are informative and present a balanced picture of his life. Though they don't go into deep detail, they provide context.

Richard

You left out the RWS. :) When you study the RWS, you end up with mainly knowledge of the RWS. When you study the Thoth, that study doesn't go to waste, and reflects on all Golden Dawn decks, and allows you to see their inner workings, the clockworks that power them.
Did I leave out the RWS? *smacks palm on forehead* :D