Anyone Else Just Starting?

Barleywine

Here is a plausible explanation of how racism based on skin color may arise unconsciously (even in otherwise enlightened, intelligent people). This theory seems particularly applicable to those who lean toward the occult.

Interesting stuff. The associations certainly ring true. I would have to see more about the dream-work before I'm convinced about the connection there. I've never found dream-interpretation manuals very valuable, but this is on a more scientific footing.

Aeon418

Here is a plausible explanation of how racism based on skin color may arise unconsciously (even in otherwise enlightened, intelligent people). This theory seems particularly applicable to those who lean toward the occult.

It's curious then that Crowley equated the supreme attainment with NOX and not LVX. ;)

Also I'm reminded of this from Liber LXV where the Adept is symbolically described as black.
18. So also the light that is absorbed. One absorbs little and is called white and glistening; one absorbs all and is called black.
19. Therefore, O my darling, art thou black.

Richard

It's curious then that Crowley equated the supreme attainment with NOX and not LVX. ;)

Also I'm reminded of this from Liber LXV where the Adept is symbolically described as black.
But NOX only appears to be dark from our (or at least my) perspective. It's an illusion (if that's the right word). ETA, just now I noticed the smiley.

ravenest

Interesting ... especially this; " ... The issue is the much deeper human tendency to associate the direction "up" with light, consciousness, and "goodness" - while at the same time associating the direction "down" with darkness, unconsciousness, and "uncertainty and anxiety". Everyone, regardless of his or her ethnicity, dreams of "dark scary figures" and "situations" on a fairly regular basis."

However it soesnt explain why I am the exception to the norm; I like 'down' (in to the psyche, the earth - both where the 'jewels' are hidden). No problem with the dark and I love the night (and I live in an area where is it IS dark ... no streetlights or other illumination), the unconscious function is how we normally 'work' ...although I dont associate all that with uncertainty or anxiety. I have always been 'instinctually attracted' to the black people here, their way culture and 'way of thinking' (which I have an affinity to and aversion to the type of thinking that seems the dominant type here).

Let's not forget that other black/white polarity; Man & Woman ... guess which one woman is ? - Black ... the left hand - sinistra !

At times I have been called 'dark' or less polite words ... attracted to the dark side ... yes I am - I like the night, dark muted tones, the unconscious, aboriginal people and women ... I guess there isnt much hope for me ?

Not that I have any sort of aversion to the 'opposites' (maybe noon day sun in the middle of summer). Division brings hurt.

Just as a spot of extra diversion interest; there may not have been a Thoth Deck, a 'revival' of certain mysteries or an O.T.O. if it wasn't for this guy;

http://www.tha144000.com/2012/02/black-history-paschal-beverly-randolph.html

http://hermetic.com/sabazius/randolph.htm

ravenest

Good article, when I was studying psychology as an undergrad my senior thesis studied internalized racism in people of color. It's pretty much everywhere for a bunch of evolutionary, cultural and subconscious reasons. In the occult communities, I've seen some pretty egregious examples though. I just take what I need and keep it moving, though sometimes I admit to shaking my head as I move it. This is actually one of the reasons I feel so comfortable with the Thoth imagery. I actually find many other decks actually offensive or just uncomfortable.

Check out the Thoth Lovers :) Man : Woman , white : black is 'reversed'.

Also interesting is, as the first linked article says , 'Randy' and his 'Moorish' and mixed race ancestry allowed him to gain access to areas, people and teachings not normally accessible to Europeans. Of course, colours in the Thoth deck are magically symbolic and not relating to race ... or P.B. Randolph ... however, the more imaginative amongst us might see the Priest in the Lovers Card as a Moor. Then we could make LOTS of inferences and associations.

Richard

Interesting stuff. The associations certainly ring true. I would have to see more about the dream-work before I'm convinced about the connection there. I've never found dream-interpretation manuals very valuable, but this is on a more scientific footing.
Jeremy Taylor probably takes a Jungian approach to dreams: mandala symbolism and stuff like that.

Jung, by the way, is apparently a racist. He seems to think of 'primitive' people as if they were lower on the evolutionary scale. However, it is easy to filter out these errors, which usually occur only as side remarks.

Quotidianlight

Check out the Thoth Lovers :) Man : Woman , white : black is 'reversed'.

Also interesting is, as the first linked article says , 'Randy' and his 'Moorish' and mixed race ancestry allowed him to gain access to areas, people and teachings not normally accessible to Europeans. Of course, colours in the Thoth deck are magically symbolic and not relating to race ... or P.B. Randolph ... however, the more imaginative amongst us might see the Priest in the Lovers Card as a Moor. Then we could make LOTS of inferences and associations.

I am too new to explain why but there is something about the deck and teachings that feel like home. They are intrinsically multicultural and egalitarian in their elitism. There are certain cards that talk to me and feel there are black energies, "spirits" or thoughts included in the deck. There is a reason the new orleans voodoo deck which is Thoth based feels right or "scary to many" compared to the other black or orisha RWS based decks. Thank you for the link to that article. Morrish roots does not surprise me AT all.

Quotidianlight

I just had a second thought. The Thoth deck feels balanced between light and dark while many of the decks that I cannot stand feel very light and overly positive or like they are only superficially nodding at the dark. Perhaps it is this balance and lack of moving away from the dark that makes the deck feel subconsciously welcoming and multi racial cultural etc

kaushalyaandfrank

I'm wondering if anyone else is just starting to study this deck. Even the study threads are over my head so I'm wondering if anyone else is just beginning. I found an annotated copy of the Hermetica today. I hope it will help the book of Thoth make more sense sense. I think I am missing context and basic mythology. I'm also curious what other newbies are doing and how long it took advanced users to feel like they had a basic grasp on the vocabulary so that the books made more sense.

I'm learning this deck after using several others and found that the best starting companion is the Tarot: Mirror of the Soul book. From this book you can first learn some basic keywords before going on to study the various details within each image. Once done, you would be excellently placed for further study of the underlying concepts behind the deck.

Marie-Bernard

Most of the recommendations I've read in this sub-forum have been sound, but I found that I knew so little I needed introductions to the introductions. I started studying the Thoth maybe 3 months ago. I'd been fiddling with the RWS for years but knew nothing of Qabalah or Astrology, so I had to get a little understanding of those first, just to get some of the references I was reading about. DuQuette's Chicken Qabalah is recommended a lot and I read that, but a little book called the Elements of Qabalah by Will Parfitt was very helpful as a foundation, too. On the astrology side I read Corrine Kenner's Tarot and Astrology which was super helpful, although it refers to a RWS deck and not Thoth.

ETA: I'm glad someone brought up Dion Fortune being a big old racist, that really threw me for a loop when I started reading Mystical Qabala. She's also Christian-centric (is that a thing? did I just coin a new word?) - a lot of the texts I've perused that are Qabalah related are.