Is the Portuguese Pattern Extinct?

Cerulean

A 20th-21st century rediscovery of this Unsun Karuta pack

Summary of discovery of the game/card pack

...When Japanese and Western playing card historians began their study of Japanese cards in the 2nd quarter of the 20th century, they were able to locate several examples of Unsun cards, but were uable to learn how the game was played...then in 1972 there was considerable news-magazine and television publicity in Japan about ten old gentlemen in Hitoyoshi City, Kyushu, who still occassionally met for a game of Unsun...game survived longest on the island where playing cards were first introduced some 300 years (as of the 1981 booklet) earlier....these players were artisans who had learned the game from their elders and felt no need for written instructions...

...Waylands visited Hitoshiyoshi in 1973..after watching an evning of play, they were the first to recognize that the game as played there, was definitely based on European games which were current in the 16th century, such as Hombre and tarocchi...however the introduction of 3 additional court cards, of simple numeral one to replace the Dragon Ace and addition of a fifth suit, the Kuru suit, were all unique Japanese innovations...

...Mr. Kanji Tsurukami, a high school teacher in Hitoshiyoshi, who acted acted as the Waylands interpreter...spearheaded the work...to preserve the game and make packs of unsun karuta available...(Cerulean's paraphrase: originally the cards the ten elderly gentlemen used ws made by Oishi Tengudo of Kyoto. The original designer died over 50 years previous to 1972...Mr. Tsurukami made his own drawings based on the Oishi Tengudo pack and 1500 printed by Kyowa Print in Hitoyoshi City...).

from Unsun Karuta, copyright 1981, by Virginia and Harald Wayland

The Screenfold Press is selling the 85 packs and booklet remaining from the Waylands estate; Alan Ferg and the Wayland's daughters make up the Screenfold Press.

Best wishes,

Cerulean

Ross G Caldwell

I wonder if anyone can tell me, whether the Japanese have any myths and legends about playing cards - their origin, stories about them, etc.?

I'd be very interested in hearing anything about that :)

Ross

Cerulean

Hello Ross, will start another historical thread on Japanese decks

I began finding more and more detail of Japanese card makers, links with European patterns, sources...but not all of them are so tightly linked to the Portugese pattern of this thread...over the course of five centuries of Japanese fascination with such things.

I wanted to start an 'all things Karuta' link thread and timeline--but will content myself to a rough collection of links and timeline in "Japanese Decks" thread.

The first link there posted will be Nintendo, which in itself has much twentieth century information and timeline.

I'm beginning to think the question might be over time--what didn't the Japanese convert to a card game of some sort! Everything from gods-and-monsters to little-girl-games with pink and purple hair....it will be referenced over at that thread...

Placeholder...

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=82895

Cerulean