Knight of Cups

rainwolf

I know some people have no affiliation with astrology, but I find the queen to be scorpio (but then again, it depends how you view here). My reasoning:

Queens are fixed in modality, and cups being a water sign would be scorpio--a fixed water sign.

Cancer is cardinal water, the knight being cardinal.

archer1

Lillie said:
Thanks, I'm glad you agree with me. A lot of people see this card very differently, and it's nice to know I'm not the only one who sees him like this.
Although, od course, every view is valid for the person holding it.)

I have known plenty of this type.

They can just seem to be very careless of other peoples feelings.
As if they are so shallow they don't understand the depths of other people.
And they can be very sweet, and very gentle, but then, when you need them most it's 'Oh, I can't cope!', and they are off. Or 'Don't bring me down.' Or whatever.

They leave a lot of hurt in their wake, but it's generally accidental.
And like litttle kids they think that saying sorry will make it OK.

Oddly the cup people come much clearer to my mind than the wands or swords people. I have a lot of trouble with them.
Disc people are pretty easy to see.

The Prince of cups is one of them mad, bad and dangerous to know people, and the princess is one of those silly girls who says things like 'He only hit's me because he loves me' (Lord, the times I have heard that sad remark) She's very stand by your man whatever he does. But she's good with kids.

That is basically what confuses me when reading that not all see the card the same. I have all kinds of tarot books and such to help me with the cards and even the so called experts can't agree.

Lillie

Well, they don't have to agree.

Do you know someone, anyone, (call him Dave) And one person thinks Dave is really really cool, and someone else thinks Dave is a tosser?

It's like that.

The best thing to do is not to listen to anyone, but go and meet Dave for yourself and make up your own mind.

Gov

rainwolf said:
I know some people have no affiliation with astrology, but I find the queen to be scorpio (but then again, it depends how you view here). My reasoning:

Queens are fixed in modality, and cups being a water sign would be scorpio--a fixed water sign.

Cancer is cardinal water, the knight being cardinal.

I would agree that the knight is Cancer but I would say that its the Princes who are fixed in modality:

Prince of Cups = eagle driven chariot and serpent in cup = Scorpio
Prince of Wands = lion driven chariot = Leo
Prince of Disks = bull driven chariot = Taurus
Prince of Swords = air element humanoid driven chariot = Aquarius

The cardinal cross would be a mixed bag the way I see it:

Queen of Disks = has a goat by her side = Capricorn
Knight of Cups = crab in cup = Cancer
Princess of Wands = that big headdress = Aries (maybe)

But then Crowely had his own astrological associations which are totaly foriegn to me, which is why I go by the pictures instead.

ravenest

Or; the Queen IS Cancer (As AC says) and the Knigth is holding HER cup aloft because he is that Queen's knight?

(And an aside ... it can't really be releating to astrological signs but astrological constellations as attributions go; " ..... (the constellation) ... plus part of Pegasus ..." for example.)

It stems back to that sus' G.D. system of attributing cards to the celestial sphere.

rachelcat

Here's my IDS, a bit more "esoteric" than the previous posts. I love these down-to-earth takes on him!

Knight of Cups

Fire of water = springs, waterfalls, rushing rivers
Mostly mutable fire = Pisces

The knight on his horse leaps away from us into the sky. The white horse looks back at us. It looks like he’s saying, “See ya! We’re outta here!” The knight wears green armor with no helmet. He has curly blonde hair. He has large white translucent wings like angel wings. I guess they are supposed to resemble water or waves. He holds up above the horse’s head and large reddish cup with a crab in it/on top. The horse’s hooves are heart-shaped. In the bottom left corner is a peacock with a tail that is all blue and white. It really looks like a wave. This card always seemed much to airy to be a knight. Or cups. The prominence of wings and bird, and white and light blue.

The card as a whole is mutable water, but the crab is present to show that active fire energy is similar to active cardinal energy, so it refers back to Cancer as well as Pisces. It also shows a correlation with the Cancer major, the Chariot, who is carrying the grail. So this must be the grail knight, too. This makes it the knight that is most difficult for me to keep separate from the prince of the same suit. Maybe the prince is Parzifal at the grail castle for the first time, seeing the amazing wonder of the grail for the first time (amazed by snake in cup), and the knight is Parzifal trying to find the grail court again after he has managed to botch his first opportunity to help them (holding up the cup as a goal to be gained). And the Chariot is after he has achieved the grail but before he knows what to do with it?

The explanation (!) of the peacock is Crowley at his cryptic best: “His totem is the peacock, for one of the stigmata of water in its most active form is brilliance. There is here also some reference to the phenomena of fluorescence.” ONE of the STIGMATA of water? Huh? Ok, I’m going to try to figure this out before I go to Snuffin. A stigmata (but that’s really a plural form, as is phenomena, but I’m sure Crowley knew that. Wheels within wheels . . .) is a physical sign of a deep identification with the suffering of another. Got it! Brilliance, that is the glittering effect of sun on water, is a sign of the deep identification of water with fire! Fire of water! I guess the other stigmata of water are, as mentioned above, white water on rivers and white foam on waves, and, yes, biophosphorescence that is sometimes seen on the ocean, light actually coming from the water (actually microorganisms on the surface of the water). Now, how is all that symbolized by a peacock? Which, although well-known for its many-colored tail, is shown with a two-tone tail that looks like a wave? Hmmm. Peacocks are also known for having many “eyes” on their tails. There is a character in Greek myth about this. But wouldn’t that be more airy? Like a bird with feathers for that matter?!! And no eyes are in evidence.

Damn, had to go to Snuffin, and then I realized I knew (well, kind of). The peacock’s tail is the cauda pavonis of the alchemists, the colorful, rainbow-like transition state right before the stone is achieved (symbolized by the cup/grail). So even though it’s all blue and white here, it is directly related to the rainbows on Art and 8 of Wands, another combination of fire and water. Now I’ve got it!

The rest of Crowley’s description is a not-too-flattering take on the Pisces character. Passive, graceful, amiable, responsive but not enduring, sensitive, idle, untruthful, superficial. But deep down, innocent and pure. Really does remind me of Parzifal now.

Hexagram 54, The Marrying Maid, Thunder over Lake. This is an inauspicious hexagram on the whole, but it does counsel that husband and wife working together can make up for each other’s faults, fire and water blending again! But a marriage just for show won’t get you anywhere. Superficial?

In a reading: You are a sensitive person who is searching for something of great value, something that can cause healing and/or more abundant life. You have the capacity to rise above the mundane if you tap into your inner sense of innocence and purity (like the Fool).