Question on the 7 of cups

Tara2007

Question on the 7 of cups: split from: Empty room

Too true. It does seem slower. Mind if I ask something then?

I bought the Thoth deck a few months ago, and even though this deck is so very well discussed here...I'd like to perhaps get some fresh insights on my impressions of it.

First, my biggest problem with this deck is the 7 of Cups. My first thought was "you have to be kidding". Green slime coming out of the cups? The word "debauch" describing it? I have never thought that way about this card, and perhaps Crowley enjoys that from the Other Side, I don't know, but it seems to show up quite a bit for me. I cringe at the sight of it.

I gather that is't supposed to point to some kind of wolf in sheep's clothing.
What's everyone's take on this?

Love & Light,
Nancy

Lillie

Do you normally read with a different deck?

And if so, how would you interpret that card?

For me, as this is really the only deck I have ever used, I am just used to this card and the way it looks and it's name.

I am relative new comer to the RWS, only having had one for a couple of years, (and I never use it...) compared to 20 odd years for the thoth, but the way I understand it is the 7 cups on the RWS show impossible dreams and fantasies, the things that will distract someone from their 'real life' while they go chasing after unattainable promises, indicated by the false images in the cups and the hidden skull revealing the 'death' that is concealed if you drink from these cups.

In the Thoth the 7 cups also relates to that kind of turning away from reality into the world of fantasy The name debauch would (and often does) indicate that this turning from reality is through the medium of drink and drugs (favourite pass times of Mr C), however any thing that would lead us from the path of reality and on to the path of fantasy.
It is shown the way it is because in the Thoth the cards do not show people or images, the meaning of the card is conveyed through the symbols alone. In the cups this is done through both the condition of the cup and the liquid within it. In the case of the 7 the green gloop shows that the cups have become poisoned chalices that over flow with their false promises and their threats of death or stagnation.

It's not a particularly pleasant image, but it does convey, very well, the meaning of the card , in a way that the RWS 7 does not.
In the RWS are we meant to welcome or reject the illusions in the cups? the card does not make it very clear that these are impossible lies that will lead to destruction.
The Thoth, however, makes that very clear. No one would drink from these cups.

Oh!
Look!
I did have something to say :)

Gazel

Lillie said:
No one would drink from these cups.

Lillie, I totally follow your wise interpretation of this card.
But I could'nt help smiling of this last sentence, since I think that this is exactly what the cups turn into, if you drink too much of them (of anything), metaphorically and literally.

Yours truly,

Gazel

Lillie

Yeah, I guess so.

The whole thing, from ace to 10 in a progression, and it is normal to pass from one to another.
So I suppose if anyone gets stuck on one, then it's bad, and they ought to get sick of it and move on to the next.

And by the same token, having a slurp at the green gloop in the 7 would be a normal part of the progression itself.
Like the old saying, a little bit of what you fancy does you good!

You just don't want to drink too much!

Dean

Hi it's been awhile since I've been here on the Forum and thought i pop on to see this thread, glad to see old favourites are still here.

As for this card as Lillie as already explained beautifully with the RW and Thoth, i see it as finding it hard to control addictions that we might come across in our everyday lives, which might only being temporay happiness.

As the card shows it doesn't look pleasing to look at, but when you have had a few drinks and a few one night stands it doesn't matter what something looks like, as long as it makes you feel better for a short while.

Lillie

Hi Dean!

Nice to see you back here.

Dean

Hi Lillie,
Yeah i thought i would say hello it's been awhile, had a few hectic months and haven't had much time for coming on here.

Glad to see everyones still posting on these threads.:)

ZenMusic

the card is governed by Venus in Scorpio. Her dignity is not good in this Sign
( 7 = Netzach "Victory", though associated with Venus, it's a rather individualistic energy rather than group/social energy, which intensifies an already intensely individualistic ego)

ever know a Scorpio?

mooiedragon

Kind of adding to what Zen Music was saying about knowing a Scorpio... no offense to any Scorpios out there - they are generally a very affectionate and caring sign BUT do tend to play games with matters of the heart, especially when they are afflicted. They tend to manipulate when they feel insecure or unloved or unsure or your intentions. They often act a certain way in the hopes of getting you to act another way, or at least to get you to feel a certain way.

I liken this aspect to the 7 of Cups in that it may appear to an outsider that somebody experiencing this "mood" has everything they could want and more. But in reality the stimulation or whatever is not what the person really truly wants and they are indulging because it makes them feel better temporarily. It's not a good state to be in even though it may look like it or even seem like it at times.

ZenMusic

I am a Scorpio.. that why I understand them.. (uh, us)

Venus/Scorpio is negative , is more that the ego, libedo "lust" is extremely high in Scorpio and they'll likely "use" the (well-intended) Venus energy.. for pleasure..

"indulging" .. that's a good description..

there is, of course, the ascendant Scorpio, where that energy is turned upward, toward the Spiritual (like me 8^) )

.. that aspect of Scorpio is represented by the Eagle , instead of the Scorpion (or snake)